7th Grade - Beginning of the Year - ProTeacher Community

Angel2964

7th Grade - Beginning of the Year
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

PLEASE HELP!!! I am sitting here trying to come up with something creative to do to start off my year in math with my 7th graders. The last 2 years I did a "math about me" poster project; unfortunately, the 6th grade teacher liked it my first year, she did it last year with this group of students. I liked that the project allowed me to learn a little about the students, while still applying to math. I would love to hear any creative lessons. I don't want to start the year with "teaching" but I don't want to reuse something they've done.

Does anyone have any ideas that they use in a junior high classroom, or is easy to adapt?

Angel2964 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJMath

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like to start with a game. I break the kids into groups and play math scattegories...have the kids come up with a math word for every letter of the alphabet. (No one has ever gotten one for j but they have come up with every other letter). I always make a rule where they need to know what the words mean in order to use them. It's a good, fun way to review math vocabulary.
NJMath is offline   Reply With Quote

Angel2964

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a great idea! Something I can definitely try!
Angel2964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Momma

Scavenger Hunt
Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year I started out telling the students a little about myself and going over general classroom expectations. That didn't take too long. After we finished that, I had the students do a scavenger hunt to find others in the room that shared the same interests.

For example, a question may ask "what is your favorite color?" The students would have to find at least two other students that had the same favorite color.

Another teacher did this, but she gave candy to the first boy and first girl that completed the task.

Good Luck!
Mrs. Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

becky2624

Math About Me
Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love to share ideas, but that's a concern I always have! Can you tell me how you did this project with your class? All of the examples I have found are for primary grades. I teach 5th grade. Thanks!

becky2624 is offline   Reply With Quote

Creative7

Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the scatterogies idea! I am in my 2nd year of teaching 7th grade now (well just teaching in general), and I am starting out with lesson 1 just because my new group of kids were out of control in 6th grade, so I am setting the rules up quickly. But I want to use it for a review game or CST review!

As for fun first day activities, you could also try having them do a math art activity like positive and negative drawings/colorings/paintings using 2D figures - and then either link this to positive and negative numbers (that is my first chapter), or a refresher on the different types of shapes/figures. And then you would even have something to put up!
Creative7 is offline   Reply With Quote