Lowes or Home Depot fence?? Quality fence? - ProTeacher Community

nicolelt0226

Lowes or Home Depot fence?? Quality fence?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have Lowes or Home Depot fencing? My DH and I are moving into our new home in September, and I am getting quotes before we choose who to go through. I have one large dog and medium sized dog. They may jump up at the fence occasionally. I have gotten estimates from local companies and since we are going to be fencing about 330ft. the cost is substantial (about $6,000). My mom is gifting us some of the money and would like us to get estimates from Lowes and Home Depot, which I have set up, but I was wondering about the quality of the actual fence and posts? Initally we wanted vinyl but holy cow is it expensive! About double the cost of cedar. So I think we are going to go with cedar as it seems to be very strong and resilient. Does anyone have a cedar fence installed from Home Depot or Lowes? Would you recommend them or should I stick with strictly fencing companies? I do believe they use local contractors to install so my main question is about the quality of the product. Thank you!

trasie

Have you
Old 07-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

considered aluminum fencing? We did have to give up the desire for privacy but our dogs can't get under it or through it. I have to say I love the look of our aluminum fence and there is absolutely no maintenance. We did use a fencing company.

DH and I looked at vinyl but we weren't happy with the quality. We had seen some privacy fences that had sagged and some white ones that discolored. Some (imho) looked just plain cheap.

A cedar privacy fence is what we had previously and some of the bracing and posts had rotted. (Granted it was o.l.d.) It also needed to be stained periodically.

Sorry to play the devil's advocate. Would you like me to attach a picture of our fence?

nicolelt0226

Unfortunately
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

the HOA says it has to be vinyl or wood Otherwise I totally would look into it! Thanks for the info. I have many colleagues that go with a certain fencing company but I want to get the best price and best quality. It's tough because we're on a culdesac so the footage is much larger than most yards. The guy told us he typically has fences go up for around 4K so ours is 2K more than most. I'm happy with the large lot but man oh man, I was hoping to put the 2K somewhere else!!

Tiki

fencing
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have a cedar fence, but I'm sure you'll be happy that you chose that over vinyl. Vinyl fencing is not meant to contain a dog. It's really just useful as a boarder fence if you live in an area that doesn't get really cold and no one touches the fence.

I have vinyl. It was installed before I bought the house. While it looks great it is the reason I decided not to get a dog. You touch it and it cracks. Every winter several panels and slats come down and I have to replace those. I live close to a park and people walk by all the time and run their hands along the fence so I'm continually having to repair broken slats. I don't have to paint it and that's about the only thing it has going for it.

Did you try going online to Lowes and Home Depot to read the reviews on their fencing?

MrsCroak

Old 07-28-2012, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My husband is putting up our fence, but buying the materials from Lowes. I think he bought these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_202922-152-N...URL=&facetInfo=

Since he did the shadowbox, I feel great about the stability of it. He made sure the posts and cross posts were super sturdy.

Here is a picture of the one side completed:

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

missy78343

Home depot more
Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When we had our fence installed we got estimates and HD was considerable more. We went with a small local fence company. Make sure to Check prices