What are some things you have done for others that you didn't get anything in return? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Inspirations

What are some things you have done for others that you didn't get anything in return?

>

OK4NOW

What are some things you have done for others that you didn't get anything in return?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are some things you have done for others where you didn't get anything in return?

I am really struggling with letting go of the need to want to do this for others and looking for some inspiration! Knowing that are people out there who still things for others and wanting nothing in return would be inspirational.

Thanks!

OK4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I love "filling buckets"
Old 07-28-2012, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get a kick out of doing things for others that make them happy, and I guess all I really want is for them to let me know it worked! And when someone does something nice for me and I know they would feel uncomfortable being "paid back," I pay it forward instead.

When I think of something nice, I feel compelled to do it, "For I shall not pass this way again." Maybe the appreciation I look forward to is what I want in return? I just know it makes me happy to make someone else happy. (So it's really all about me- )

Last edited by Munchkins; 07-28-2012 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: too many details!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

campy

Any time I can
Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I believe in karma. What I put out in the world comes back, so I hope to live always believing that when I do something for others I am also taking care of my self. It doesn't matter if they reciprocate, GOD does every day. Sorry if it sounds mushy I usually don't say that out loud.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

giving
Old 07-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think most teachers are givers instead of takers. I love to help others and have given a lot of time as well as other things to my family. Sometimes I don't know that they appreciate it, but it still makes me feel good to give of myself. I believe that is better to give anonomously and not to expect to get something back , if possible.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

love2learn

One specific thing I started doing
Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

that really brings a smile to my face is passing out presents during the holidays. All year long I buy gloves, scarfs and socks whenever they are on sale. At Christmas time, I wrap several up, usually with a $5 tucked in them, and keep them in my car. When my kids and I are driving around doing our Christmas shopping and see people asking for money, we give them a present! The look on their faces says it all! I haven't told anyone about this (except for my kids who go with me). I figure most of the people, yea I know not all, but most of them won't get ANY presents for the holidays, so its kind of fun.

love2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

*Fairydust*

Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At Christmas each year, my DH and I agree to spend the money that we would to get each other a gift on a less fortunate person. I usually pick a needy student of mine or in my school and buy them a complete wardrobe and some toy items. I wrap them up and give them to our guidance counselor to deliver. I make it known that I DO NOT want the kid and family knowing it is from me. It is so nice to see that student after the holidays wearing the items we picked out for them. i expect nothing but a happy child in return.
*Fairydust* is offline   Reply With Quote

Rdgteach50

Fabulous!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love this idea. I may have to start doing this too. Thanks for sharing.
Rdgteach50 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I subscribe to the pay-it-forward
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

philosophy of karma as well. Whether you call it morality in general or Christianity in specific is not an issue.

I love to do things for others as an anonymous donation or as a total surprise (known.) I also think it is a great example for my children. I don't do as much buying now that my income/circumstances are reduced but try.

I will buy the food of the person behind me in a drive thru lane or the groceries of the person ahead of me in the grocery line. I randomly deliver coffee or goodies to people when I know or discern their likes. I randomly put small gifts in the mailboxes at school. I love to start the Boo'd and other anonymous gift exchanges at school. I watch the sales of school supplies and other items and buy things very cheap for the purpose of giving them away.

I also make sure to donate everything possible from my household to thrift stores and it keeps my house cleaner and minimized. If I make a big meal, I will invite people over or repackage a meal or two for a couple of different single folks. We invite people over for major holidays if they have no where else to go.

If I see a small job or errand I can do easily, I volunteer or just do it. If I am already doing a job or errand and know someone else needs it too, I share freely. Sometimes just taking the time to speak to someone, offer a big, genuine smile, hold the door open, let someone go first, offer a hug or whatever is the best thing you can do.

I don't think you are silly or crazy either one.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote