Reading Street Grade 4 question - ProTeacher Community

MrsD7112

Reading Street Grade 4 question
Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! This may seem like a strange or stupid question, but I am a new teacher with no training in Scott Foresman for the upper grades. I've worked in the K and 1 level for the past couple years, but 4th grade is a bit different.

Here's my question: I only have the teachers guide right now until I get back into my classroom (which may be at least a week) and I'm trying to plan. For these books, such as Because of Winn-Dixie, does the class read the entire actual chapter book as part of this program? Or just the smaller selection in the student book? I'm a bit confused on what I should be planning for... Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated!!!

MrsD7112 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunsets11

Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In fifth grade, our first story is an excerpt from Frindle - the book just has a chapter or so. I choose to do the whole novel as a class read aloud (they each get a copy - I have a class set) and I do a ton of modeling and cooperative group work.

I choose to do this for a few reasons - 1.We are soposed to start the full reading program by day 3. There is no way that I'm going to have all kids tested quickly enough for reading groups - but with one book that I'm mostly reading aloud, I can have flex groups going with tasks that sorta simulate reading groups. and 2. I love the story of Frindle and love being able to discuss themes with the kids (along with setting, character, plot, etc). and 3. It lets me know my kids as readers - and be able to compare them against the class.... and fell how it all goes together.

Of the fifth grade classes in my building, about half of us do the entire novel.

So - if it's the same, you will only have a small selection of it in your kid's edition. You can probably look at the TE and see what pages it has!

Good luck!
sunsets11 is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsD7112

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks - that made me feel a lot better! I think it makes sense to do the selection for at least the first week until I get to know the kids better. That's what the teacher's edition seems to do at least.

Thanks for your advice!
MrsD7112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Spunkybee2

Correct
Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach the 4th grade Reading Street and you are correct in the fact that the first selection, Because of Winn-Dixie, is just an excerpt from the entire novel. In our building the third grade teachers read this story as a read aloud and so they already have knowledge of the novel. This makes it nice as a transition into our reading groups and centers at the start of school.
Spunkybee2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SMichael

Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We read just a short chapter out of lit book and then the nice part we watch the movie in our 4th grade.

SMichael is offline   Reply With Quote