Assistant Principal Interview - ProTeacher Community

TeachAL

Assistant Principal Interview
Old 05-31-2007, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey, everyone. I am interviewing for an assistant principal's position this Monday. This is my first interview for an admin position and I am so NERVOUS!! The interview is for one of 3 openings that the school system has. They are going to conduct 1 interview for the 3 positions. That means that if I blow it Monday, I've blown it for all three jobs!! UGH! Have any of you sat in on AP interviews before? Can anyone give me any advice on what I should expect, questions they will ask,etc? One position is at a K-5, one at a K-3 and another at a 3-5. Thanks!!

TeachAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Georgia Girl

A Very Long Time Ago...
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did sit in on some of these interviews. I wish I could remember more, but what I remember most is...Of the interviews I sat in on, the people that I remember are the ones that were friendly, open and energetic.

I was at a very tough school at that time and discipline was a big factor. Most people in the group wanted to know how the applicants would handle discipline in such a tough area.

People were also interested in knowing what kind of educational background/experiences the applicants had in elementary schools. It was always good if one had experience at this level, but if they didn't and they knew about some of the programs offered at the elementary level it helped. I remember one who had no knowledge of teaching reading in the early grades and later someone commented that first grade teachers could do almost anything and he wouldn't know if it was right or not when evaluating the teachers.

I think someone asked about how the applicant would support teachers in relation to the students, parents and faculty/staff.

I wish I could remember more for you, but this was probably 10 years ago! Good Luck in your interview! Let me know how it turns out! GG
Georgia Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachAL

Thank you!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You were very helpful. I'm glad you mentioned that about being energetic- I will have to make sure I do that! I usually am very energetic but when I get into an interview or I am nervous, I tend to clam up. Thank you for your advice. I will let you know how it goes!

Bassett lover

Be Prepared to Answer
Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

questions such as these:
How would you approach it when a student is sent to the office for discipline issues? How would you handle "repeat offenders"
What do you see as the role of an AP?
How visible do you see yourself being around the school?
Shat would you expect of your staff?
What would you do to boost and maintain morale?
How would you help a struggling teacher?
What are your strentghts/weeknesses?
What experiences have you had as an educator that have prepared you to be an AP?
Explain how Reg Ed and Sp Ed can work together to help all students be successful.
Explain what you would do your first month at a school.
What are your long and short term goals?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Why do you want to leave the classroom and become an AP?
Bassett lover is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachAL

Awesome!!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow! These are great!!! Some of the questions really got me thinking.... thank you!

linda2671

I've sat on some.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The things I remember the most are candidates who have taken the time to tour the school before the interview. They noticed things about the school that stood out and mentioned them during the interview. I also remember the ones who did their research ahead of time, knew our test score statistics and had ideas ready for helping up raise scores in the low areas. Good luck. I hope your interview goes well.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachAL

Update
Old 06-06-2007, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. They all were very helpful but unfortunately I didn't get the job. Oh, well!! Better luck next time,huh?
J. DeWitt

J. DeWitt

Teacher
Old 09-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sorry about that, but here is something to always remember- It's not what you know, but who you know when it comes to occupying an assistant principal position. Take it from a former assistant principal who has interviewed 8 times this summer with a great resume and credentials. My advice - Start meeting people.
D.A.P.

D.A.P.

Still a Teacher
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with this advice....it's who you know.... more than what you know.... I've interviewed for administrative positions (more than I care to count) and have not been chosen for the position. My credentials are exemplary; however, it's a fiercely competitive field! There are a great deal more applicants than available jobs, unfortunately! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
robertG

robertG

teacher
Old 11-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have also interview a few times, and I think I need to revise my resume do you have a good example?
Brand New AP

Brand New AP

Tips on Promotion
Old 12-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with the earlier posts where it was suggested that you meet people. It is very helpful to advance when you first establish yourself as a teacher leader within your school as well as your district.

Attend workshops (present at them whenever possible) and join committees in and outside of your school. Become very active so that your face as well as your name becomes known for your personal contributions.

A note however is not to bite off more than you can handle. Whatever you decide to take on, be sure you are committed to it.
Betty

Betty

AP Interview
Old 06-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am in a similar position. Did you have your interview? What were some questions?
JWO

JWO

Gifted Teacher
Old 08-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Over the past two summers I have been on at least 15 interviews for AP positions. Each time I interview I am complimented on my resume, the interview and my qualifications. Each time I am told that approximately 140 applicants were received for this one position and I was one of three to be called back for the second interview. Although that is great and I appreciate the feedback, but in the end the phone call always come back as another candidate was chosen. The AP positions are always filled with internal candidates and outside candidates really are up against tough odds. I was ready to give up as well, but after talking with my principal she recommended that I begin to take a closer look at applying for the principal positions in smaller districts. So I did that and got a call after only one day after submitting my application. I will be going on my second interview in a few short days. Whether or not I get the job....well who knows....but think about other options before you give up!!!

Georgia Girl

Good Luck...
Old 08-12-2008, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

in finding the job you want! Hope all goes well for you. GG
Georgia Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Still Hopeful

Still Hopeful

Dead in the water?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have had my administration degree for seven years now. I have applied and interviewed for serveral jobs. I am in a situation where I am limited to my surrounding area because, let's face it, I am the second income. I would prefer to remain in the system I currently work in, mainly because my son is getting ready to start school here.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a horrible interview. I finally sat down with the personnel director and found that I answer all questions, but elaborate on nothing. So, not that I am the best person to give advice, but make sure you elaborate your answers.
Dr. Frustrat

Dr. Frustrat

Teacher
Old 04-18-2009, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have been an educator for 31 years. I into a new district 4 years ago looking for an administrator's position. I have a doctorate in school leadership. I have interviewed several times in the fours years and all I get is that, "They don't know you." I thought my credentials would be enough to land me the assistant principal's position, but of course, it did not and it is very frustrating to continue to interview for the same position in the same district so many times. However, after reading the comments, I will start meeting more people and getting involved with more community projects to get my face out there. After all, I am the new kid on the block.
Dr. Change

Dr. Change

Teacher
Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have a doctorate in school leadership and have interviewed for an assistant principal's position four times. I have had this degree for four years now. It gets frustrating when you interview so many times for one position with the same district and don't get selected. I had planned to just give up, but after reading the comments from this site, I decided that I would take your advice and get networking. I agree, it's who you know and not what you know.
mh

mh

teacher
Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It isnít always who you know. I did my internship at the campus I interview at and got along with everyone great. I knew 4 of the 6 on the interview committee and my best friend is the HR director. The who you know didnít help at all. In this case I got beat by experience. It is hard to get experience when you canít get hired in the first place!
kimdprice

kimdprice

I agree
Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I agree with your post. You must be given an opportunity to prove yourself. I believe knowing people in key positions is what it takes. I am applying for a CST position. If you have any advice on interview questions, please post. Thanks
AZ3teach

AZ3teach

Good advice, but....
Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I found this thread poking around for suggestions on AP interviews. There is some great advice on here especially about networking. The teaching profession is very similar to the business world and will continue to become that way in the future. However, I was amazed that nobody mentioned about utilizing some the best assets at your school: your current AP, principal, curriculum directors/facilitators, veteran teachers, etc to get advice from or ask if you can help them. Also, if there are any leadership consortiums you can participate in, those will give some leadership experience and help you network. Don't forget that becoming a facilitator is also a good stepping stone from teacher to administrator.

BTW, I heard a statistic the other day that people seeking AP or principal positions typically go to over 100 interviews! That's a lot. And if you work in a very competitive district like mine with little turnover, that could mean going your whole teaching career without ever even getting a position. I am going to start branching out myself if I am going to get serious about this too.
Danijoy

Danijoy

Branching out.....
Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have been a teacher for 12 years with a M.Ed in curriculum that never got me anywhere I really wanted to be in my district, so now that I am finishing my M.Ed in Ed Leadership the prinicpal who I am completing my internship with said that even during the RIF'S going on in our state shouldn't keep me from becoming an AP if that is waht I wanted but I had to be willing to branch out, i did and was just offered an AP position in a small town and small district.....if you want to go into admin. head to a small area get your experience and if not happy take that experience back to the district you want to end your career at.....Good Luck Everyone! Go educate the World!!
Principal2

Principal2

Landing the job
Old 06-08-2009, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I have enjoyed reading all of these posts. I agree with similar posts that tell you to branch out. I came from a very large school system that was filled with politics. It was a who you know system. I had problems even landing an interview because I was not well known. I volunteered for projects and attended gatherings. I took on projects for schools and communities that allowed me to be well known with other principals and administrators in the district. People knew me and knew I could do the job, but they were afraid to give me a chance due to my young age. I had always exceled in academics and graduated from a 4year institution in only 2 years (God's blessing for me). I was teaching by age 19. I had my M.Ed in Ed. Leadership by age 22 and Ed.S in Ed Leadership by age 25. I decided to branch out and interview at smaller school districts. Once giving the opportunity to interview, I prepared myself for the interview and prayed (knowing this would be my only opportunity) and landed the job as principal at the age of 25 (youngest in the state). My advice is to branch out. After my first year as principal (and realizing a successful school year), I was offered 3 schools as principal in the district I left from. As a principal who interviews assistant principals for my school, I look for people who are excited and can bring things to the table. A principal needs someone to help him/her in areas where they don't have a lot of tiime to devote themselves. A good principal's job is so overwhelming to the point that it is impossible to be a master of all the things. You need help. That's where assistants play a vital role. Get to know the principal and highlight how you can compliment him/her in areas of the school.
EdLeadership

EdLeadership

Got the Message
Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have an interview tomorrow. This was some good advice. I'm now looking at myself to make sure I am able to showcase my talents and verbalize what I can "bring to the table." Do you have any suggestions on what I should take to the interview? (They have copies of my letter of interest and resume'. However, I will bring more.) I am trying to move from the classroom (10+ years) into principalship.)
SM

SM

Teacher Leader
Old 07-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

That is great advice!
I find that interviewing tends to be my weakness. I have a lot to bring to the table, have many experiences as a leader, yet when I walk into an interview I freeze. This does not allow me to show my personality or my enthusiasm. So unfortunately, if thats what districts are looking for, I am going to have a tough problem.

ForTheLuvofIt

Question
Old 07-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Help.
I am interviewing for an AP job in a K Building. I am familiar with questions that I would be asked for a regular AP job, but how about for one in a K building? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
ForTheLuvofIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Leader

Young Leader

Getting started young
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I too must agree with everyone's posts so far. There is a wealth of knowledge here. However, I find myself being discouraged somewhat given the posts. I am currently entering my 5th year of teaching and will be doing my principal internship this school year as well. I realize that I must network and get my name out, as well as be willing to move to a small district. I am currently in a large district and would like to stay but realize that is most unlikely. Is there any advice on what I should do during my internship, as well as in the classroom to gain experience ? I will be teaching full time while completing my internship (I recieved a grant that will allow me to miss 21 days with a paid sub). I will also be attending class part time so that I will recieve my certification in June of 2010. My time will be strectched thin but I am confident in my interviewing skills, the question will be my experiences. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them!