New Third Grade Teacher Seeking Advice - ProTeacher Community

hockeymom

hockeymom

New Third Grade Teacher Seeking Advice
Old 06-01-2007, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I am new to this message board, but need some advice. I just landed my first official teaching job in the public school system teaching 3rd grade. I have taught at a private school (4 yr olds) and did my student teaching in Kinder. I am used to working with younger children. I know my classroom management worked for Kinder, but I have no idea what to do for third grade. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what works for them?

thanks.

SusanTeach

3rd
Old 06-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The great thing about 3rd grade is that they still want to please the teacher, just like K. At the beginning of the year, I let the kids help me make the classroom rules. Honestly, they're already developed but you'll find that you can "lead" the kids into wording it the way you already have it. I'll attach mine so you can see what we do.

You can say simple things like, "Thank you, John, for raising your hand before speaking". The others will follow! Praise goes a long way with 3rd graders!

I'm sure others will give you ideas, but that gives you a starting place. That's one thing I adore about 3rd grade - classroom management isn't that difficult.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Rules.doc (22.0 KB, 239 views)
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgradeteacher

Money System
Old 06-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I taught third grade we used a money system to reward behavior or to show which behaviors were unacceptable. Mine was fairly simple. I used a bullseye and each student had a numbered piece. If they did something that broke the class rules they moved their piece to the next outer ring of the bullseye. The goal was to stay in the center of the bullseye. At the end of the day students who were in the center earned 2 dollars, students who had moved out one ring earned 1 dollar and if a student had moved to the next ring they earned zero dollars for the day. At the end of each week, I charged my students a rent payment for the week (Mine was $20). Each student also earned $5 as a payday on Monday. If a student had their rent, they were able to have some extra playtime/indoor recess time on Friday. If they did not, they had to spend that time either finishing work that may have caused them to not have their money and write a letter home explaining why they did not have enough money and how they would improve on it next week. Any extra money, the students could spend at the class store on items that interested them.

There's a great website that helps explain some of these better http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/ Click on Classroom Economy.

My system was not as complex as her system was, but they both worked similarly. Hope this helps!
2ndgradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca

Old 06-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used the money system for my kids as well. I based it off of the website that was listed above, but I modified it. I started the year off giving play coins, so the students could get more practice with actual money. Then moved into a "checking account".

I also had a classroom complement system. Whenever another teacher gave them a complement, they got a letter (which spelled Funtime) and if they had their word by Friday, we had some free time at the end of the day. This was motivating for them to behave in places besides our own room.
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote

JanP

incentives which help
Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use a money system but I use a copy of a check register which students keep in their agenda. Students add $125 teacher dollars for each reward and deduct $50 for each consequence. This also helps with addition and subtraction skills. At the end of a month, the top 5 earners get a pizza party. One teacher has students bring $3 to contribute but I don't do that. I also use Positive Discipline in the Classroom and have daily class meetings which has really been great and helps students learn to solve many of their own problems. Good Luck!

JanP is offline   Reply With Quote

MeganS1282

Management
Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught 5th grade this past year and will be teaching 3rd this upcoming year. This past year I used a marble/stamp system that worked really well with my 5th graders and I plan on trying it on my new 3rd graders. Each student gets an old film case (the little black ones with the lids...a film developing place will give them to you for free if you ask for them). Every Monday students begin with 10 marbles and when they are caught acting inappropriately or miss a homework assignment they get a marble taken from them. It is their goal to keep all 10 marbles for the week. I just simply say...can I have a marble please...just from saying that the student knows they were doing something wrong. Every Friday afternoon I call students up and count their marbles...if they have 10 or 9 they get 2 stamps on their stamp card, if they have 8 or 7 they get one stamp, if they have less than 7 they do not get any stamps. They start each week fresh with 10 marbles. I also reward my students by giving them stamps to add to their stamp card. For example, if a student is caught doing something good, I will tell that student to bring me their stamp card. At the end of the year we had a "Stamp Sale" where students turned in their stamps for various items I purchased.

The students seemed to enjoy this system. They did not want to give up their marbles and wanted to earn stamps. They were constantly counting their stamps and trying to have the most.
MeganS1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
KH

KH

hello
Old 06-15-2008, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am in the same boat- lots of expreience with 1st grade and under and am new to 3rd this year. Do you think you could forward me any good tips? THX! Katherine kheiss@whschool.org
truiswjy4uh

truiswjy4uh

dsvfrehygqnhrt
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

t4wuu[yhtrjohiujti9huehujyuatghy35fuw htryjreavyaqt asss byuwhreyuhjhyuj5hraymv5iyijk
rhgygvqyrehay

rhgygvqyrehay

ass
Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

you stanky ####### #####