When do you start...

>

scrapteach

scrapteach

When do you start...
Old 06-03-2007, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

shopping for the next school year?

We aren't even done with the 06-07 year yet and I have already started buying things for next year. I normally wait for the big summer sales, but I've been going on ebay to find some deals since I'm staying in 3rd grade next year (didn't invest a lot this year since I thought it was a one year stay).

Just curious if I am out of my mind or if others are like me. When/Where do you usually shop?

BirdSong

Old 06-03-2007, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My mother-in-law just bought me about $100 worth of Dinah Zike books for next year. I will do any shopping I need in late July or whenever I see good sales.
BirdSong is offline   Reply With Quote

Eydie

I Buy as I See Things all year!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found yesterday at Party City the cutest award pins. Some had Smiley Faces and some were shaped like trophys and said "I'm a winner" they were in packages of 12 for $1.00.

I do love the summer sales too!
Eydie is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I'm with you...
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had to go to Dollar Tree to get something else, and they had some cool computer paper, no homework coupons, welcome back and birthday pencils and a banner that was motivational that I liked for the wall. I also had a friend who was ordering from Oriental Trading, and they had a quilt that held student photos that was easily assembled by tying the squares, and some pennants, because I am doing a banner theme for next year. We aren't even done yet either. We did get free shipping on the Oriental Trading stuff, which was great. I wonder about my obsession with school supplies also. Whenever our buddies come in, they always say to my kids, "Your teacher has a lot of markers!" I usually shop in our local teacher supply stores, Target, Walmart, and of course, Dollar Tree. We also have a chain that was based out of New England called Christmas Tree Shops.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Perdy4

not out of your mind!
Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am always looking...and shopping !!! Have fun!

Perdy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4th

I'm starting already too!
Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Tomorrow I'm hitting the dollar tree and Target!
teach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_b_from_nc

I was there on Saturday
Old 06-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and got a ton of stuff for next year. I'm going from 2nd to 3rd. I scooped 2 cursive ABC lines, a ton of sticker "reference" tables (mult/divi, cursive, measurement, parts of speech), 6 different kinds of punch out letters for BBs, and some packs of posters (preamble/dec of ind. & mult. families). DH was shocked but was totally against me getting the same stuff at the teacher store in Charlotte.

And don't get me started on what I've gotten from Scholastic in the past month

I love shopping for school
mrs_b_from_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Yes!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I started shopping the last month of school for next year! I've bought lit circle books, professional books, and various books for my regular classroom library. I have about a million things yet that I want to buy before school starts in August!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

dsujammun

Start Shopping?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I didn't think I ever stopped shopping for school items, whether they be for this year or next. I already have a closet full of stuff to take to school. (I just hope my DH won't get to upset.)
dsujammun is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

shopping
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My whole family used to think I was nuts (now they just know it) to think about school all summer, but I honestly can't help it! I look for school items anytime, all year. I think I tend to get more over the summer because I have more time on my hands. I can really think things through.

My friend's boyfriend works off-shore, so as soon as he leaves again (2 weeks) we're heading to the teacher store to look around! I told her I hope I can wait that long!

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mari

All Year Long
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I shop for things for my class ALL year long. I shop on vacation, when I visit other cities I try to visit the teacher stores in that area, at the museums, the dollar stores, Walmart, Target, K Mart. My husband did not understand this when we were first married now he helps me to find things too.

Since you are shopping the Dollar Store in my city has some really nice & colorful plastic containers and buckets that can be used in centers. Maybe they have some in your area.

Have a great summer & happy shopping!
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote

SeasideTeache

A new teacher
Old 06-04-2007, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

And my husband is still learning that my classroom doesn't come fully stocked! He cant understand why i am so excited to go to garage sales! (and i love the dollar store stuff too! )
Hopefully he'll get used to it.... Cause i don't think I will ever stop either
SeasideTeache is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

So nice to know...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

...that there are others like me...

My problem though is that I am a sub this year...and I have been shopping all year. My husband says he wouldn't mind all the stuff if we actually had space. At least my shopping hasn't been in vain: I will be a bilingual second grade teacher in the fall...and I am thrilled! This just adds to my want to shop more.

I like the teacher stores, but I think I'm love with the teaching section at the dollar tree and books from Goodwill!

Since I found out about my position, I have been buying/reading a lot of trade books. I am trying to settle on my shopping until I finally have more of a plan (centers, etc.)

NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
TeachinLV

TeachinLV

Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

School ends this week and I just spent $60 at the teacher store over the weekend. I think I am buying things now because I have certain things in mind for next year that I want to add and I just want to have the stuff for it now. I'll be shopping all summer for theme related items to decorate my room. However, that should be it for me. I don't buy much any more since I only teach 2 subjects.

kellie88

Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Even though we have 11 days to go I am shopping and planning for next year. It must be a teacher thing. At this point I am so burnt out of this year yet I am so excited for next year. How do our minds work in such strange ways?
kellie88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Perdy4

couldn't help it
Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Kellie88, your comments made me think of childbirth....
Perdy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

dancersmoon

Shopping for next year
Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I had to smile when I saw that there are other teachers out there who feel just like me! *G* I was so ready to be out of school this year, but here I am only a week out looking for ideas for next year. I have already been back to school and asked for my student list as well as just gone in my room and sat in the silence and thought. I am trying to decide if I want to change my room theme,work on my lessons, change my desk and library around...I don't think I am going to spend as much this summer because I sort of went crazy and spent 600.00 on books a few months ago. It was all ebays fault! *G* My husband was very understanding, he is a librarian at Shorter College in Rome, Ga., but since we like to eat every now and then I have promised not to spend much more for a couple of months! This year has been a real transition year for me. I have taught all grades from 1st to 8th, but a couple of years ago I was moved from sixth to fourth where I am now. I think I finally have the basic understanding of Dibels, reading groups, (but I am always looking for what YOU do so I can do better!), and how to fit science, math, social studies, PE, reading, (music and art which if they get I do myself) and all the interuptions (we are a prek-12 school) into my daily schedule.
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!!!
Sharon
dancersmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

ubs

Old 06-10-2007, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I went to a teacher supply store with my dh to buy summer activity books for my own children. I swear that my heart started beating when I saw all those books for the classroom. He went to another part of the store to check on something and I was asking the checkout girl if they carried a particular book. He walked up while she was checking and I felt like I was talking to my crack dealer or something. I buy stuff on Amazon and delete the confirmation e-mails before he sees them. i am a junkie.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

this is why I love this site!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Even at school, among the other teachers, I feel almost guilty because I get so excited about getting things for my classroom.....On here, well, it's normal!
I start planning the way I can set up my classroom when I am packing up! I have been looking for better ways to store things and to keep my books more organized.
It's also good to know that I'm not the only one who feels like I'm talking to my drug dealer when I go into the teacher store....it's a high like you cannot get anywhere else!
Kym
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote