Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Organiztaional tips needed

>

ViolaSwamp

Organiztaional tips needed
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving from elementary to 8th this year, and as I get my room set up I am trying to figure out the best ways to have students turn in papers, manage make-up work, etc. How do you all keep track of the different classes? What other situations am I not thinking of yet?

Thanks for any ideas!

ViolaSwamp is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What subject?

Here are some threads I bookmarked:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=338558
Mme Escargot is awesome!

Thread on handling the paper chase:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=366451

Interactive method of introducing room policies and procedures:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=267450

Losing/not having materials:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=251739

More about collecting papers:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=252272

Late work:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=280797

Homework motivation:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=281668

I had a big tower of filing trays on my desk. Fortunately my desk was in a corner, so it was supported The bottom five trays, labeled with each period, were for work turned in to be graded and the top five were graded work ready to be handed back.

For absentees and make-up work, I had a folder for each of my different subjects on the wall and an absentee monitor for each group or row who filled out a What You Missed half sheet. They copied the daily agenda and homework, then collected handouts if any with the absentee's name. The half sheet and any handouts were then put in the folder. I often had to say during bell work while I took attendance, "Are absentee monitors on the job?" and also remind absentees to look in the folders when they returned. It was a big help for them or if the office called for make up work for someone out a few days. Of course the Absentee Monitors have to work fast and not let it interfere with their own bell work/class work--sometimes I would finish filling it out.

Last edited by MiddlingAZ; 08-10-2012 at 08:11 AM..
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

What I do
Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Okay, I have to go to the mall in a minute but this is one of my favorite topics!

I color coordinate everything! For example, all of my five classes are a color:
Period 1-red
Study hall-orange
Period 3-yellow
Period 4-green
Period 5-blue
Period 6-purple

Class folders are the color of the class. Our school does not have purple folders so I use light blue for period 5 and dark blue for period 6. Sometimes I have to trade colors with other teachers because I need about 27 of each color.

I have class folders on the back shelves that never leave my room. Inside the folders, we keep journals. Names are written in black sharpie on the bottom right hand corner in case I need to pull one out.

For paper turn in, I have a colored folder labeled with each class on my desk. Turn in work always goes in these folders. If it is not in my folders, I don't grade it. Late and make up work always goes by class on the right side of the folder. I usually paperclip assignments together for easier grading. No exceptions. If a student tries to hand me a paper I DON'T TAKE IT. I say, "Put it in the folder or I will lose it." This is true, I'll put the paper down and it is MIA.

Best tip: Don't give out pencils. Say, "Gee, sorry, I don't have any." I learned this the hard way after five years and hundreds of $$$.

Attendance: Make a grid of all your classes and the five days of the week.( Classes on the left side, days of the week at the top.) Have your seating charts in a binder. Pick a good student to be your attendance helper. Train this kid to silently take attendance at the start of class. This is nice so you can see at a glance who missed or was late on a certain day. I double-check attendance and update lates and early dismissals. Also, when a student is leaving for a vacation, I mark it in future weeks so I remember.Each Monday morning, start a new sheet.

Congrats on new job.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

attitude
Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have an attitude - about collecting paper work. I did not use folders in class. I collected the work by having students all hand it in at the same time, usually passing it forward to the first desk, or if in groups, collected by one person. I walked along the front desks or around to the groups, took the stack that was proffered and immediately checked that it was all there. Right then and there I would discuss with students missing homework/why? or sloppy or incomplete assignments. It was immediate.

I returned work to them and they were expected to keep it in their notebooks in a special section devoted to ELA. This taught them responsibility and eliminated the potential that my teacher neighbors had with work being stolen from notebooks in classes. It also put the onus of retaining and organizing the work on the student.

So I'm different that those above. My advice is to think about what fits your personality better, and go with it. AJ
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nik

Organization
Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a bit OCD, so please keep that in mind.

First I have stacking trays where each period turns in assignments.

To return after grading, I don't want to waste class time so I have hanging file folders in crates around the room. All students from all classes are aphabetized together. That way I don't have 30 kids at one crate. As I finish grading something, I put them in the file folders.

For make-up work, I write down the agenda and bell ringers in a notebook each day. If they are absent they look in the notebook. Any handouts are in folders stapled to a bulletin board. One folder for each day of the week. Quizzes and tests must be made up in study hall. I write the names of the absent students on the papers so I can tell who has not picked up their make-up work.

I also got tired of handing out millions of pencils. Last year I bought a box of golf pencils. Worked better, but I still can't believe they come to class without a pencil and paper. I mean, what do they think they are going to do in class without the basic supplies?

I always take attendance while they work on the bell ringers and write in their agenda. I use a three line grade book. I mark absences on the top line, assignment scores (pencil for assignments, green for quizzes, and red for tests), and once a week or so I put a running total of points on the bottom line.

I hope this helps. Have a great year!

Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Reward Coupons
Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

On an old thread which MiddlingAZ linked in an earlier post on this thread, someone recently requested my reward coupons. For some reason, I could not do any attachments in current posts on that thread, so here they are.

A few notes about the coupons :

I copy each kind on a different color of paper, cut them up, and put them in envelopes --- one kind per envelope, with a sample one taped to the front so you know at a glance which kind is in each envelope. If I'm rewarding a kid, I let him / her choose which kind of coupon he wants.

The ones which give extra points on a test or quiz are usually reserved for the winners of team games to review for a test or quiz : 5 points for the first place team, 3 points for 2nd place, and 2 points for 3rd place.

A 70 is the lowest passing grade for us, so the coupon that rounds a failed quiz up to a 65 is still failing, but can be a HUGE improvement if the original quiz grade was something like a 30.

I have a round bamboo papasan chair in my room which no one is allowed to sit in unless he / she has a coupon. If so, the student gets to sit in it all period. I have a lap desk for the kids to use when they are in the chair. The chair coupon is by far the favorite, most requested coupon.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Reward Coupons.doc (39.0 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Mme Escargot; 08-10-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

BTW, thanks for the compliment, MiddlingAZ! You made my day ! ( After you made me blush... )
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

AlaskaTeacher

Definite Attitude
Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am with AJ on the attitude!! When my students enter my room, they must read the board for directions, which usually tells them what materials to have ready for the day. That includes homework.

Students have their homework on their desk. While they are doing their warm-up, I walk around and collect homework from each desk. If they don't have it, I grill them!! Not only is there immediate action - but it also makes me aware of who didn't do homework. I have found this helpful when you get the surprise parent show up at the end of the day or counselor comes to see you about a kid - then I'm not caught off guard.
AlaskaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote