Tips for Surviving Student Teaching - ProTeacher Community

maile0408

Tips for Surviving Student Teaching
Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have finally made it to Student Teaching! I know the title mentions Student Teaching and that kind of relates to school but I'm more looking for ideas to help me stay organized outside of school. I'm wrapping up my summer class this week and school starts already with students on Tuesday. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed already! Any ideas for lunches and easy dinners, keeping up with bills and laundry? Social life? Can I expect to kiss that goodbye for the next four months?! Haha!

maile0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 08-12-2012, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

get a calendar, write everything down

as soon as a bill comes in, pay it

lunch= I always pack a salad, yogurt, string cheese, lean cuisine, apple, and I keep a few snacks at work. I also keep a case of water at work.

laundry- I do it all on the weekend

social life- after work and the weekend
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 08-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to the struggles of the real world.

Personally, I can't manage much of a social life outside of Saturdays. Fridays I wan't to have fun, but I'm usually too exhausted and end up falling asleep on the couch. Sundays I am trying to put my house into minimally acceptable order and get laundry ready for the week.

I would suggest preparing your lunches and everything the night before so you don't have to worry about it in the morning.

Don't expect to be perfect at managing everything all at once. Do what you can and learn to let go.
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Laundry-I can't leave it for the weekends with a DH and 2 kids, so I try to do one load each night to stay on top of it. I used to do it on the weekends but I spent most of the weekend in and out of the laundry room.

Meals-I like my crockpot now that we're going into fall for dinners. I love that dinner is made when I walk in the door. Otherwise I do a lot of prepping ahead of time. If I make spaghetti, I'll brown the meat the night before. If I make lasagna, I make two pans instead of one and freeze one. For lunches sometimes I'll make larger meals to have some leftovers. Otherwise I make different sandwiches and salads. I used to eat frozen meals (usually Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine), and I'd stock up on those to have as back up if I was low on groceries or didn't have time to make something.

Social Life-Try to get out and do something on the weekends. You want to maintain your life outside of school too. I don't think you need to kiss it good-bye, and I don't know how much socializing you do, but you'll be pretty tired during the week!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Follow a schedule for household duties
Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Give yourself about a 30-60 minute task to accomplish each day for home. That way it won't all fall on the weekend when you need to get some rest and have some fun.

I would cook a little extra so you can take leftovers for lunch the next day. I would also keep salad fixings and fruit around for easy meals.Eggs are also fast and easy. Why not have breakfast for dinner? When you cook prepare items that can do double duty. For example cook crumbled hamburger meat. Remove half of the meat for spaghetti the next night. Then add the taco spice for tonight's meal. Spaghetti night will be that much faster. because the meat is already done.

Good luck. I hope you have a good student teaching experience and learn an great deal.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Kendall

Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Every night, pack everything you'll need for school the next day in your car. Mornings can be hectic, so you don't want to forget anything that you need. I always pack my lunch the night before, also. I bring a sandwich and yogurt. Like other PP said, bring plenty of water. You might want to take a nap when you get home. With everything you'll be learning from your supervising teacher, I'd have a little notebook to take notes. I'd also have a little bit of cash on me just in case you forget to bring your lunch. On a professional note, I'd be sure to be on time (or early) and plan on staying a bit longer than your leave time (regardless of what the college has told you your hours are). This will make a good impression on the teacher and show her you really want to learn and participate in the process. Good luck!
Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

some ideas
Old 08-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

• each Sunday evening, put 5 complete outfits on hangers so you can just grab one each day- complete means underwear, top, bottom, socks, jewelry/scarf/tie
  • you'll be too exhausted Friday to do much of anything in the evening and that's OK- do laundry, watch a movie, invite a friend over for a glass of wine...
  • even if it's against your nature like it is mine, wake up on Saturday, like 7 or 8- crank up some music and coffee and clean for about 40 minutes with no interruption- probably enough time to do a load of dishes, wipe down the bathroom and straighten the living room
  • pay a bill as soon as it comes in
  • take time Saturday evening or Sunday during the day to have a social life
  • pack your lunch each night before you go to bed
  • cook double dinners so you can have leftovers for lunch, or not have to cook a night or two later
  • I used to have a friend over every few Saturdays and we'd cook batches of stuff together, then split it to freeze- that kept us fed and gave us time together- we'd do batches of chili, lasagna, taco meat, homemade soups
  • do your best to sleep each night 7-8 hours
  • do your best to exercise each day- walk the school campus 15 minutes a day after the kids leave to clear your head before you begin afterschool planning, grading, etc.
  • go easy on caffeine and sugar to give you energy during the day- have some healthy snacks and lots of water/decaf tea on hand at school- apples, nuts, bananas, and yogurt are my faves
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Balloony74

Balloony74

Old 08-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

During ST, I took nightly runs/walks. (I need to start doing that again.) It helped me clear my head, gave me time to think, breathe deeply, got exercise, and slept better. And it was FREE!

SpicyPeanut

I just started...
Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So I'm still figuring this out because I'm only 2 weeks in but with a husband, a house and a kid, I've done a lot of thinking about this.

• I iron all my clothes on Sunday and hang them in order by days of the week. I locate all accessories on Sunday as well (belt, shoes, jewelry).
  • I have a dry erase board separated into the days of the week hung where I can see it. I update it on Sunday so that I can see at a glance if there's anything I need to do/remember for the week.
  • I have a little pad that I carry around with me and write notes down for myself and go over it daily (I usually find something I forgot about).
  • I plan my meals, shop according to my plan and only cook "easy" things during the week. (Pasta, shake and bake, meatloaf etc...)
  • I cook double or triple amounts and we eat left overs. I've resigned to eating out 1-2 times a week.
  • I've decided not to sweat it when things don't get done.
  • I do all my cleaning on Saturday morning (as much as I can squeeze in)
  • I do all my laundry over the weekend (start Friday and just keep washing till it's done)
  • I take Friday evening off... no homework, no housework.. just relax with my family.
  • I accept that there isn't enough time for everything and prioritize.
  • My family comes first, no exceptions. I will not sacrifice my child for a better grade. I will not spend 15 weeks destroying my marriage and expect for him to "understand".
  • My friends should hear from me once in a while... even a quick call. I need them for the hard days.
  • My not so close friends won't hardly notice I'm gone, I'll see them after graduation.
  • I pack lunch the night before (and I plan lunch when I plan dinner).
  • And I try to go to bed early... or none of the rest will matter.
SpicyPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Sandy130

Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If I did it while taking care of my two kids, anyone can! You really just kind of go into "survival mode." I had to hire someone to clean my house every two weeks because I literally never had time to clean. lol! I could have made time, but I wanted to spend that time with my family. The demands of the university and the demands of your clinical teacher can overwhelm you, but it does get better with time. I'm starting all over with a classroom of my own and I'm already starting to feel overwhelmed. Rather than being graded by a university, my principal will be evaluating me. I just start listing the things I need to get done THAT day. If you try to do too much, you will burn out. Pace yourself. I'd say get enough sleep, but I never did. I was up till midnight and was at school by 7:30 and was lucky to leave by 5:30. It's like bootcamp for teachers!
Sandy130 is offline   Reply With Quote