Help

ARCHIVE

Readers workshop or Guided reading?

>

TerryT

Readers workshop or Guided reading?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This may sound dumb but what's the difference between the two? If you do one do you not do the other? I am new to all of this and have spent a frustrating first year trying to incorporate a bunch of ideas and not doing any of them well!
I attended a Guided Reading workshop and implemented some of the ideas with literacy centers, but I am not really sure if what I'm doing is effective.
I have bought several of the recommended books and plan to read them this summer, but would really appreciate some advice!

TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

Rw
Old 06-04-2007, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think there are many ways to implement this-after all states and districts have their mandates, and each class has unique needs! I use guided reading as part of reader's workshop. After a mini-lesson students are doing independent reading and using a strategy taught during the lesson, I will pull a small group for guided reading. Also when students are participating in literacy stations I will pull a small group for guided reading or strategy instruction. Some teachers do not have literacy stations during reader's workshop- I've done it both ways.
nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TerryT

What is the best book for learning about
Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

readers workshop? There is so much good info out there. I'm having a hard time sifting through it!
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Gators

Old 06-05-2007, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For Reading Workshop

I highly recommend: Growing Readers by Kathy Collins
and Reading with Meaning Debbie Miller
Go Gators is offline   Reply With Quote

Random

Old 06-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These are by far my favourite reader's workshop books. I use bits and pieces from all of them and they really guide my instruction.

On Solid Ground
Reading With Meaning
Growing Readers
Reading Essentials

Random is offline   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

Book
Old 06-05-2007, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There are many great books out there. I could not manage without [U]Guiding Readers and Writers: Grades Three -Six[U], by I.Fountas and G.Pinell(sp?).
nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
MsHoney

MsHoney

Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Guided reading is just one component of the Reading Workshop block. The other components are Independent Reading and Book Club/Literature Circle. I understand why you have questions because this subject can get really confusing.
Literacy centers are used more in the primary grades along with the Independent Reading because primary students have a very short attention span. One of my goals has been to build stamina for reading by the end of 2nd grade. I would not use Literacy centers past 3rd grade because by this time, students should be able to read and respond quietly for 45 minutes to 1 hour; provided all of their needs have been met. During this Independent Reading time, the teacher is free to take a guided reading group or conference with a few individual students each day. The teacher is also free to facilitate a book club discussion with a small group of students reading the same novel.
I hope this helps!