Overwhelmed!!! - ProTeacher Community

lblau6680

Overwhelmed!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK so today was my first day with my kiddies. I am so confused and lost and overwhelmed. I am servicing 2nd - 5th grade. I am teaching reading, math and writing. I have all sorts of needs in my room. At any given time, I might have up to 12 kids in the room, and all grade levels. Some may be working on writing, some math, some reading. I don't even know where to begin or what to do. Please help....

lblau6680 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

wow
Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you a classroom teacher or are you a resource teacher that kids come to? If that's the case, you would have to make some sort of grouping based on ability and if you're the classroom teacher who has these kids all day you may have to do something similar. Having so many grade levels is a ton of work. Do you have help? Para? co teacher?
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

lblau6680

Overwhelmed!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

mom23kid's - I do have a para part of the time to work with 2 specific students. As far as ability grouping, I would like to do that but I don't even know their ability yet. I have an assessment I hope to give them however, I won't be able to do all the kids in one day. I'm lost.
lblau6680 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

ask your principal if you can have one day without pulling your kids as a class so you can get basic assessments done so you can get baseline data so you can properly group your kids.

next, find out who is coming to you and when. That might throw an even bigger wrench in it.

I had one of those gigantic office calendars and I wrote down everyone's specials/pull-outs.

I wonder if you can pull groups of kids based on subject or need at one time.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Busy_Lil_Bee

scheduling
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a K-3 resource teacher. This is my second year. Here's how I organize my day.
1- get everyone's schedule, write down each kid's day (what times he/she is with you)
2-block off "subject" time
3-have lots of independent center activities (books, blocks, computers, book on tape, puzzles, etc.)
4-I see each child at least once and only have up to 3 at my table at a time for the first 2 weeks, even though there may be many in the room. I do quick ongoing assessments during this time.
5-Get teachers' lesson plans. Try to at least talk about the skill the grade level is on. If 3 kids are in different grades but doing nouns, they will be pulled to my table together.
6-Lots of whole group activities on the carpet or meeting area. This is a short time I can read a story, sing a song, etc. and regroup.
7-set small goals for yourself. I get my math lessons planned first, since they are typically the easiest. Then go from there.
8- I don't see every kid one-on-one for every subject every day. If someone gets one-on-one time for Math, they may not get it for Reading that day.

I am anxious to see what others have to say. I know I don't have it all figured out, but this seems to make my life easier.
Good Luck and hang in there

Busy_Lil_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote