Journeys Reading Series - ProTeacher Community

kcolunga

Journeys Reading Series
Old 08-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school just adopted a new series, HM Journeys, and we only received a 2 hour training on it!! It is very overwhelming. Is anyone using it? Can you give me a sample DAILY lesson plan of what you do with it? I have seen trifolds posted for third grade are there any available for second grade? Any and all information would be appreciated. Thank you. P.S. Our last series was Harcourt Trophies. If anyone needs activities for it I have oodles!

kcolunga is offline   Reply With Quote

kathismith

Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know how you feel because I went through the same thing two years ago. We were very overwhelmed the first year. Last year one of my co-workers found some printables for sale on a teachers pay teachers website. They are not too expensive and I am going to buy some things on there this year to make life easier. One of the most difficult things in this progam is fitting everything in to a 45 minute lesson. (My district would like us to spend 45 minutes on whole group instruction and 45 on guided.) If you follow the day by day guide reading could take you well over one hour for whole group instruction. If you look at the weekly unit tests you can figure out what you need to cover in class and target those skills. My co workers and I spend two weeks on each unit instead of the suggested one week so we don't feel so rushed. We save the last day of each lesson for the unit testing. I hope this helps!!
Here is the teachers pay teachers link:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/B...+second+grade+
kathismith is offline   Reply With Quote

sdteacher

We do
Old 08-27-2012, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also in need of suggestions! My team purchased the units on TPT created by Amy Schwab. She put a lot of time into them it looks like. I am also struggling with pacing it. There are so many worksheets and I am not a worksheet person. Also, the writing I don't feel like it ever lets them just write. I hope someone else fills us in on how they do it!
sdteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Zumbanut

Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We just adopted it too. We had a half day training and are all overwhelmed by it! WAY too much testing and wkbk pages.
Zumbanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Bee Organized

Tri-folds
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have just started Journeys, but I'm not familiar with the tri-folds. There is so much to juggle and sort through for each leveled group that I've been overwhelmed. If anyone knows of a web site which is really helpful for getting it all going, I'd appreciate it, too.

Bee Organized is offline   Reply With Quote

Bee Organized

Journeys
Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You definitely have to pick and choose which workbook pages are most beneficial and use just them, don't you? Don't you find it a waste?

Bee Organized

Journeys time table
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree about the time frame. I stretched out unit 1 lesson 1 for two weeks instead of one because there were so many new skills and I just didnt feel like my students were mastering them. They still struggled with the first test, and I think partly it's because our district wants us to do it online which is hard for second graders. We were also trying to do PALS testing and I just couldn't teach it all.

agpatton3

Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This will be our schools first year to use Journeys! Can someone give me a sample lesson plan for one day? I'm trying to plan out on paper what it would look like! There are SO many things to do! Thanks in advance for your help!
agpatton3 is offline   Reply With Quote