Help

ARCHIVE

HELP! hOW DO YOU SAVE WORK ON A CD

>

packerfan

HELP! hOW DO YOU SAVE WORK ON A CD
Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay I will admit that I need help saving work to a CD? Can someone please help me.

Thanks!
packerfan

packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

CD burner
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm pretty sure you need to have a CD burner on your computer to get the info off of your hard drive and then onto a CD. I think???

I really like to use my little flash drive to transport things from home to school or school to home. It is much easier than trying to get someone to burn things on a cd for me (my husband usually does all of the technology stuff at our house). You might look into getting one, they can hold music, pictures, documents, etc... and are not too expensive.

Good luck, I hope you are able to save your information!
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

MustTeach!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1) Have a CD-R or CD-RW Drive OR a DVD-R/W with CD-R capability. These are often referred to as "cd-burners" because they etch the information onto a blank CD-R/W as opposed to the mass-production process of stamping (like records).

2) Have a couple CD-R media. These are the blank CDs that I just mentioned. They are quite cheap if you buy them by the spindle (bulk 50 or 100). When I was in undergrad, I would by spindles of 100 for 30 dollars or less.

3) Install some CD-Burning software. My favorite always has been Nero Burning ROM because it's cheap AND they have a 15-day free trial.

If you have all 3 of the above, then all you need to do is put the CD-R media into the CD Burner, run the burning program of your choice, drag and drop (most likely) the files you want to save into the appropriate area, and click whichever button the program assigns to start the burning process.
MustTeach! is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachAL

I'm doing this right now!!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am so frustrated!!!! I finally figured out that you have to have that software that the above poster mentioned. I found some that is free called "Free Easy CD DVD Burner V1.2". I can't tell you how good it is just yet because it has not finished burning the disk. I will let you know. Oh, yeah---- those CD-R's can only be written to ONCE!!! If you mess it up you might as well throw it away.
TeachAL is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachAL

okay--- it's done!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It took 24 minutes!!! Argh!

TeachAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-14-2007, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know you're done this time . . . but here's some stuff for future reference.

CD-RW disks are more expensive, but you can keep adding to them until you fill them up.

CR-R disks are cheap, but once you write to them they're done. They're better for burning lots of data at once or when you want to give something to somebody.

When you open something from a CD and want to resave it with changes, you have to use "save as" and save with a different file name because you can't overwrite on CD's like you can with flash drives or disk drives.

Also, if you have a windows PC, there is a burner built into the system. Open explorer (right click on 'start' and click "explore all users"), drag and drop the files into the CD drive, and then you'll automatically be given the option to burn to a CD. This works for both data and music CDs.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MustTeach!

Even further information...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

CD-Rs are indeed one-shot discs, but not because you can't continually add more information.

Think of a CD-RW (re-writable) as a piece of paper.
Think of a CD-R as a stone tablet.

With a CD-RW you can write, erase, write again, erase again, and so on until the CD-RW degrades enough to where it can no longer hold data. Just like paper- albeit a very large piece, very hearty piece of paper. Also, they cost more than CD-R.

With a CD-R (recordable) you can continually add more information so long as you DON'T "Close session". If you do, you will essentially be breaking off the unused portion of the stone tablet. The only downside to having an "open session" CD-R is if you plan to use it as a music CD as there are many CD players out there that do not recognize open-session CD-R. However, if you're just storing information, it's fine. =) Leave the session open and continue to burn later. =)

Types of standard CD Media:
650MB (data) / 74 minutes (music)
700MB / 80 minutes

Mini CD (my fav)
210MB / 24 minutes

I love using mini CDs because they're so uncommon. I like to pop one out and drop it in the CD tray on campus and watch people go "ooooh... that's what that little divot is for..."

MustTeach!

TeachAL
Old 06-14-2007, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Burn speed is determined by 5 factors -
1) The max burn speed of your cd-burner
2) The max burn speed of your CD media
3) The amount of data you're burning
4) The compatibility of the media with the burner
5) Computer load (the amount of work your computer is doing besides burning the CD)

As for number 4, I've only seen a few such incompatibilities. One example was of a friend who bought an HP CDwriter in the fall of 2003 or 2004. She, for the life of her, couldn't get it to burn over 12x on 32x media with the 32x burner. I did a little investigation and found that HP had locked its burners' top speed in order to "encourage" the purchase of HP CD media. They were exposed and they were forced to release firmware that lightened the cap (though, that drive never burned at even 24x with Imation media).

Another example is my one of my own drives which is a Lite-On DVD burner with CD-RW capability. It's supposed to burn up to 40x (at top speed, which is typically the very end of the CD), but tops out at 24x with Maxell CDs. It's no biggie, I just don't buy Maxell anymore. =P

Risa

Thanks packerfan!! Good question!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Great answers!!
I can and have done quite a bit of desktop publishing for work and local organizations. I can zip in and around the internet quite fluidly. I've taught classes on desktop publishing. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to say my computer is my best friend, or maybe I should say "best resource."
BUT... the fact of the matter is...
I'm soooooooooooo behind on how to use all the multi-media that is out there!

Thanks to all who responded with their knowledge of how to save work, what to use to burn CD's, and how to burn CD's. VERY useful information! Although I've actually saved work to CD's I just sort of hit and missed with how to get it done. I never really thought about which would be most effective for a given purpose. I've always wondered what the difference was between CD-R and CD-RW... I just figured I'd EVENTUALLY get around to googling it when I could no longer 'fake it' and pretend that I knew what I was doing! !!

Now that you've got me thinking about this, I've got another question for you... What's the difference between 'burning' a CD and 'ripping' a CD?
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

MustTeach!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Burning refers to putting data or music on a CD (or DVD).

Ripping refers to copying data or music from a CD/DVD and either storing it on a harddisk or burning it, "on the fly" (concurrent with your ripping), to another media. Ripping a CD can be done with any type of optical drive (DVD, DVD-R, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW) whereas ripping a DVD requires a DVD drive of any sort.

Specifically when ripping music, you need a special program that will copy the music from the CD and, almost always, convert the music from its uncompressed ".wav" format to a smaller format (such as .mp3, .mp4, .wmv, .ogg, etc).

Disclaimer: Ripping music from your CD collection is legal according to current copyright law so long as you do not play the same copyrighted material in two different places at the same time and so long as you do not intend to "share" the resulting files. A popular practice amongst frequent CD buyers is to rip the CD and burn on the fly to a CD-R so that they can keep the original scratch-free and only risk damage to a $.15 CD-R.

Ima Teacher

Old 06-14-2007, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Some of the older computers don't recognize "open session" CDs for some reason. I copied one on my home computer, used it at work, and then it thought I had a blank disk when I tried to use it on my ancient computer the student use.

I guess it's sort of like how some CD players won't play burned CD's.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

MustTeach! question for you...
Old 06-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think you're the media expert I need. (I've done lots with CDs & CD-RWs, but not DVDs). Some students made movies using Windows Moviemaker at the end of the year. We bought a name brand external DVD burner (can't recall the name) and DVD-Rs of the same brand. We tried burning at several different speeds, but were having lots of trouble with the DVDs "skipping" . Any suggestions?
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suzanne

Incredible
Old 06-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow, this thread is incredible. You are all such smart people (not that I doubted you). I've spent 4 hours a night for the past 5 night trying to burn a dvd. After purchasing an external dvd burner and software to change my itunes music to mp3 files, I created a slideshow for my students. I used nero essentials to make the slideshow/video as it came with my dvd burner. I had about 200 photos and some great music (suggested by my proteacher friends). After I burned a dvd I would watch it on the computer and it would work fine, then I'd try it on the television and it would skip and/or jump. I think I went through 15 dvd-R's. So I rethought the whole thing and made a slideshow using photostory3 (so easy to use). Then I used sonic dvd (a media burner) to burn the dvd. It worked!!!!! I'm having an unprecidented school night celebratory beer! Oh my, what a headache. I should have just ask you guys!

Can you believe I still have 5 days of school left. If anyone even mentions "Back to School" shopping I will cry!
Suzanne
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

I LOVE this thread!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I hope those who are answering questions don't get tired of coming back to this thread and answering more, because I'm hoping that more people will continue to ask because (she said quite selfishly) I'm learning about so many little details that hadn't even occurred to me!!

Thank you!
Thank you! Thank you!!!

Can you tell that I'm excited about this information? So often, right in the middle of some project (as I'm pretending to know what I'm doing) all of these questions come up but there's no one to ask, so I do what I can to get by. I always intend to look up the formal answers but I usually end up forgetting about it as I wrap myself up in the next thing that comes along and takes priority. So thanks to the 'askers' and thanks to the 'answerers'!!
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

MustTeach!

Roo
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

That skipping is can be caused by one of a few problems:

1) Your DVD burner may be finicky with the brand of media. If you supply the brand and type of burner and media you are using, I can check to see if there have been any updates to the firmware of drivers-- or even if other people are having the same problem.

2) It being an external drive, there may be a vibration problem when burning. Make sure the drive is on a very sturdy surface.

3) When burning the video file to a DVD, some people forget that a DVD player (the kind you hook up to a television) expects a certain format of video. Make sure you select the option to author the DVD as a "Video" or "movie" DVD and not just storage. There may even be an option to import the standard windows moviemaker format (DVI-AV- NTSC, I think). If your DVD player goes from stand still to burn without taking time to convert to DVD player format, then you know you've missed something.

As with all problems, of course, more info = more accurate solution. =)