4th grade word work centers - ProTeacher Community

*Fairydust*

4th grade word work centers
Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi...
Anyone know of any good center ideas for upper elem for word study centers? Everything I find on the internet is lower grades.

I do have parents that have volunteered to make centers. I just need the actual activities.

TIA.

*Fairydust* is offline   Reply With Quote

cteacherrun

Expand Your Ideas of Word Work
Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Create self-correcting matching games with cut up index cards for vocabulary practice in Science and Social Studies. Magnetic poetry words with a cookie sheet are great for writing, sorting words by part of speech, or practicing alphabetical order. My Math program (Everyday Math) includes many Math games which are part of Word Work. I also use a lot of commercial and homemade learning games which I rotate according to the units I teach. Lots of worksheets can be turned into learning games.
There is an active Task Cards group here on Proteacher which is mostly intermediate grade teachers. There are tons of free task cards for all subjects. You can use task cards with self-made board games, punch holes and poke a pencil through to self-check, or use Hot Dots.
I also have students "improve the Word Wall". When I post a word on the Word Wall, I use a sticky note. At any time, students can take down a word and, using a large index card, put the word into a Frayer Model diagram (definition, characteristic, examples, non-examples). They then repost the "new and improved" word on our word wall.
cteacherrun is offline   Reply With Quote