Pretest - ProTeacher Community

tripteach

Pretest
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How many of you give a spelling pretest? And if you do, how do you then give more than one spelling test to the kiddos who are on different lists? I have a 1/2 split and am really struggling with the amount of lists I might end up with! Advice?

tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyNot

pretests
Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I give spelling pretests unless it is a four day week (because they take up so much time). I find them very valuable. I decide who is on a challenge list that week based on the results (they have to get a 100 because my basic lists are not too difficult). At the beginning of the year I give two separate spelling tests on Friday. While one group is taking the test the other is either drawing on the back of the page or writing a sentence using two spelling words. Later in the year they are able to focus enough for me to give both tests at once, alternating lists. It has actually been pretty simple to implement.
WhyNot is offline   Reply With Quote

bellc2

Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kids love the opportunity of getting the challenge list! After we take the test on Friday, I introduce the words for the pretest on Monday. This gives the students a chance to study over the weekend if they want.

During morning seatwork work on Monday, they again have the opportunity to look over the words if they like. Sometimes, it just takes a few minutes for some students to review and they 'get it.' I use the words in dictated sentences throughout the week and in future weeks, so I do know who has mastered these words.

When I give the tests on Friday, I tell them I'm starting with the Reguar list, then Challenge list and just preface each word from the lists with "Regular list...cat, Challenge list...scatter."

This makes me think about spelling homework...to me, if the child is writing the words neatly once (or twice) for homework and we review briefly throughout the week, I really hate to waste their time writing it 3 or more times each word. However, if I give an impromptu test and they are not doing well, they have individual assignments, such as writing each word 2 or 3 times each.

Luckily, my kids seem to enjoy spelling and do well!
bellc2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Bellc2- I love the idea of sending home the words for the pretest the Friday before. Brilliant! I have been giving a pretest on Monday but feeling like it was a little unfair since they didn't get a chance to peruse the words ahead of time. What a great motivator to learn them over the weekend! My kids LOVE to have the challenge list!

Thank you so much! Glad you are now a p/t member as well!
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote