Help

ARCHIVE

Classroom Themes...

>

mshicks

Classroom Themes...
Old 06-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone thought about what theme they are going to use in their classroom next year? I am looking for ideas.

mshicks is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

Jungle safari...year 3
Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I thought about changing it up this year but our music teacher brought the first graders in to serenade me on my birthday...since then a little first grade boy (one of the singers) has said to me EVERY day...."Mrs. Simon I am going to come to your jungle with you next year!" I can't bear to disappoint him....what a cutie- so jungle again!
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Jungle
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's funny, because I had a jungle theme and I'm doing it again, too! I had a similar situation - a teacher brought her son to my room and that's what she told me - something along the lines of him being in my jungle room next year and being so excited about it.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

North Woods Adventure
Old 06-14-2007, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For 12 years I did hot air balloons, clouds, and the sky. This year I am getting my head out of the clouds and coming down to earth to land in the forest. I love woods, cabins, campfires, wild animals etc... My theme is Learning- A Lifelong Adventure! I am decorating with moose, bear, etc.. and lots of pine trees. I am ging to read a wilderness survival novel to begin the year.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Perdy4

Old 06-14-2007, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I haven't done a theme...throughout the whole year. It might be fun. I am thinking about trying one this year. I do have a big reading loft that the students always look forward to be able to use.

Perdy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

epeaches

theme
Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thinking about a detective theme but need ideas.
epeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

Sports Theme
Old 06-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm going along the lines of "We are all a team and work together." Truthfully, I am taking a lot of my idea's from Beth Newingham's site -- this was her theme last year. I have always thought it was good. I think I might look into the jungle theme next year. I know it's a lot of work having a new theme each year, but I think it will keep it fun (for me and the students).
NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kate26

Track
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our entire school will have a sports theme. Each grade level has a different sport--1st grade Hockey, 2nd Football, 3rd Baseball, 4th Track, 5th Basketball.
Kate26 is offline   Reply With Quote
anonposter

anonposter

Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You know, I like a nice, clean colorful classroom.

Last year I worked really hard on creating a cute theme I just knew my fifth grade students would enjoy. Time, effort, money, great attention to detail...at any rate...
I teach on a team of 5. One of my teammates is a man. He is minimalist, does nothing to his bulletin boards except display signs the kids make for his boards. He does hang kids' work, in fact, he says it's the kids' job to decorate the bulletin boards, but no paper? No color? Just a personal preference I guess.
At open house night a parent walked in to our wing and looked in my room, turns out her kid was in "the man's room" when she walked her kid into the man's room the first thing that came out of her mouth was "see, it's not all frilly and decorated, you'll like it here."
Guess to each their own, I find more kids like a theme than don't, but I also never expected people to be catty or petty about my hard work to create a nice classroom. Other teachers especially.
In the end, it's not about the decorations, but about the work that takes place there. It's about clear expectations, academic and social and their response. More people need to think about those expectations than the silly decorations they so lovingly (and expensively) choose. It kills me to see those people with the "perfect" rooms and bulletin boards, without a clear sense of what they are teaching, WHY they are teaching it, and sometimes a lack of attention to the way they talk to and treat the young people they teach!

That being said, I will decorate with a theme and I will love it. After all, I have to spend 8 hours a day there!

connieg

I agree
Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi,

This is one area in which I finally have it together. I have a theme I am known for and the kids tend to buy me little decorating gifts where I can add to the fun. I like it, it fits the curriculum (sort of a woods/animal thing) and it takes almost no time to think about each year. I keep my eye out for new things to add to the theme all the time and it saves money. It is fun for both genders. Most of all, it is warm and welcoming and I like being there. I spend SO much time there, more than at home it seems, so it better be attractive!

Yeah, men don't do much to their rooms it seems. Maybe they have the right idea.

connieg is offline   Reply With Quote