Help

ARCHIVE

Conferring with Students

>

TEACH1

Conferring with Students
Old 06-19-2007, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am hoping to do a much better job this upcoming school year with my student conferences during writing workshop. I'm just curious about how you confer with your students. Do you meet with a small group or individual students? Do you meet with them to discuss a piece or review a strategy? I'm also interested in seeing examples of revision and editing checklists as well as peer conferencing checklists if you have them available. Thanks

TEACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenfer25

conferencing help
Old 06-20-2007, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would encourage you to visit the post on writing folders that is below your post. I think this will help you organize their folders and give you examples of checklists.

I usually confer with students in a small group. I let the student read it and then as a group, we discuss the highlights of the student's writing that shows "good writing". Then the students suggest one thing the student can do to improve their writing before publishing. I also give them a grade on their writing process. Did they follow the steps of editing, revising, use author's craft...the students and I discuss how well the student did on the writing process. It's great because it is a great opportunity to teach and find out how much the student is using what you have taught in class. The students participating in the conference are also gaining important knowledge and internalizing what a good writer is.
Fenfer25 is offline   Reply With Quote