ARCHIVE

read alouds and drawing

>

newteacher8

newteacher8

read alouds and drawing
Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher in a 2nd grade class, and I am curious about activities teachers allow their students to do during read alouds. During my student teaching, my cooperating teacher let 4th grade students draw while he was reading aloud. I though this was pretty cool, and would like to try in in my 2nd grade class next year. Has anyone done something like this in younger grades, and did it work? Any other suggestions? By the way, this is for an action research proposal that I would like to implement sometime in my teaching career.
THanks!

TDSteacher

During Read Aloud
Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

During read aloud, I let my students do other activities that are quiet and not language-based. This would include drawing, knitting, working puzzles, playing with tangrams, etc. Of course, when we stop to talk about the story, they have to stop their other activities and join in, so they still have to listen carefully. My one exception to this rule is on the first and last day of a book, when I want their full, undivided attention and emotional involvement.

It's something I've always done, but I read a study last year that said that the brain can multitask most effectively when the tasks call on different areas of the brain (thus the non-language-based activity rule). I currently teach 5th grade, but I have used this practice with students as young as 3rd.
TDSteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PopcornNhugs

action research
Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did an action research project that included drawing as a "pre-write" for first graders. You might want to link the the drawing during your read aloud as a way for students to brainstorm while you're reading. Just a thought.
PopcornNhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Old 06-20-2007, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach fourth grade and have always let my kids draw while I read. However, this year, there were a couple of kids that kept writing notes to their friends (against the rules) so I took the privledge away for a week. I was amazed how much better the kids responded to the story after they couldn't draw anymore. I decided to not let them draw for the remainder of the year, and their responses to the reading were vastly improved. This is just my experience, but I think that read aloud time will remain read aloud time with no drawing. I really want my read aloud time to become more interactive next year so I need their full attention.

If you do this, make sure that you have rules like no writing notes and no sharing drawings, otherwise, they are not listening to you!

Good luck!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

drawing
Old 06-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 3rd graders like to share their drawings too much, so I can see this being a problem while I'm trying to read. I had several who would get so engrossed in what they're doing, drawing included, that I don't see them paying great attention to what is being read. I just feel like this is a time they can put their heads down (or not), relax, and just get absorbed into the story.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

I agree with ...
Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

SusanTeach! Read Aloud time is sacred to me and I too want my students totaly absorbed in the story. I also agree that the mind can multi-task, but think it's important to send a clear message to my students about paying attention to the reading.I have to be on top of my game as a reader and make an excellent choice of a book.
nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

zookeeper3

listening
Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I feel that read aloud time is also a listening time (mine certainly need practice with this). So my kids just sit and listen. One thing I have started doing is sitting on the carpet with them, not in a chair in front of them. They seem to like that more. It's more cozy and homey. I do know one teacher who lets them play with clay during read aloud.
zookeeper3 is offline   Reply With Quote

azne18

I agree with
Old 06-21-2007, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

having kids listen during the read aloud time. And I really like the idea of sitting on the floor with the students. I think they will get more out of the story if they are listening while I am reading.
azne18 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

drawing
Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like to mix it up a bit. If we are reading a chapter book, I will sometimes let the kids draw about the chapter they are listening to.
This helps them stay focused on the story while they draw. Some days I just have them listen. It has worked really well with most of my classes. Last year's class was just very immature, and I found reading chapter books to them to be a very frustrating experience because there were so many interruptions the story lost it's continuity. I am hoping next year's group will be a little more mature and attentive.
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheresa

Old 06-21-2007, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I do both too. I sometimes have them fold a pape into four squares. I stop every once in ahile to talk about story and I have kids do different things in the square..... predict, visualize, illustrate, I wonder......

Cheresa is offline   Reply With Quote