Constantly feel like I'm under the microscope - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

Sadrezteach

Sadrezteach

Constantly feel like I'm under the microscope
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I really need to vent. I am a k-5 social studies teacher, the only social studies teacher for over 500 students! In most of my classes, I teach 40 a week, things more or less go how I want. Unfortunately at my school the principal tends to only focus on the one or two classes I have problems with for evaluations. I have been having problems trying to find ways to teach my second grade students. I have problems getting them to pay attention, especially when reading. My principal came in for 5 minutes today and the kids were being a handful and only half of the students were actually on task. I feel like to him he blames me. I simply can't put on a song and dance for every lesson. Shouldn't kids need to be able to sit down and follow along with reading sometime? This school admin makes me feel like I can do nothing right, I constantly feel like I have a target on my back. I want and try very hard to reach my students but it doesn't always work. I honestly can not put into words how I feel except full of anxiety. I feel no matter how hard I try this guy concentrates only on the negatives. I could use a couple of words of encouragement. By the way I teach at a reservation school if anyone else has these problems.

Truman'sMom

Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have 40 elementary students in your class at a time - God Bless You!

To me, it seems pretty unrealistic to expect one teacher to keep 40 young students on task at a time. Then again, I know schools do this stuff! It makes me so angry. Especially when you are supposed to incorporate reading and writing into other content areas. I only have a class of 18 and sometimes I have to remind some of them to get back on task, because they are kids! I know that in many states, there are laws about the child to adult ratio at daycares, I'm not sure why it would be acceptable for a teacher, who is expected to TEACH, to have more than that. Is an aide totally out of the question? Someone who could help keep kiddos on task, or even break the group in half so you can deliver instruction to half and have the other half work on a skill, then switch.

I think that if you are expected to do this completely alone, your school has some pretty unrealistic expectations.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Did they offer suggestions
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

40 second graders? Wow. Of course they're not going to follow along. Did they offer suggestions?

Well, I always hated social studies, so I do have some "I'm not interested" perspective. For second graders, I would not have the reading be a big part of the lesson.

*You could do an interactive read aloud with them to lower the cognitive demand.
*If you have access to short (5-10 min. videos) you could start with one to help them wrap their thinking around the topic.
*You could do little puppet shows for your k-2 students.
*If you have access to overhead projection devices, you can make a slide show.
*there are lots of websites for social studies topics that are geared for all grade levels.

**If you do want them reading out of their book, first go through the pages and look at the photos and headings/subheadings, then read it aloud to them. Next buddy them up and have them reread part of the selection. Give them a purpose to read... Read p. X with your buddy to find out XXXX. Teach them how to ask questions from the text. Model first...I'm going to read this paragraph and think of a question that can be answered in this paragraph (right there question). Kids love to do this and it will engage them.

*Finally incorporate drama and art into Social Studies.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
sadrezteach

sadrezteach

I teach 40 classes a week
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the reading tips, but I wasn't clear I teach 40 classes a week. I teach 6 social studies and two reading groups. I just get stressed because I try so hard and try to help all of my students and don't feel like I get the desired results. I also feel like even though 90% of my classes go more or less like I plan my vp only concentrates on the one negative during my evals. I'm so tired and stressed, I was at school till 8 tonight. I actually had a refresher on rules and procedures and it has helped some. I just need to find a way not to stress so much.