Help

ARCHIVE

Flat Stanley Project

>

ismile

Flat Stanley Project
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have you ever done the Flat Stanley project? How do you run it in your classroom? Has it been a valuable learning experience? What are your thoughts?

ismile is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did it when I taught pre-school, and I was actually thinking of doing it next year in my 3rd grade class. I was thinking about tying it into some kind of multicultural thing to learn more about students backgrounds. I don't know, I'm still in the planning phase of how I'll do it.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

cmorgan

My 2nd graders love it!!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read the book to them first. It takes a few days. Right after we start the book, I send a note and envelope home asking parents to write an address of a friend or relative who lives outside our area and would be willing to participate in our project. I tell them the farther the better. I also explain the project in the letter.

Then, we discuss the project as a class and make our Flat Stanleys. I usually call them "Flat Carrie" or whatever their name is. They trace a body onto oak tag and then decorate it with crayons, markers, yarn, scrap paper, etc. to look like themselves.

We then write a letter as a class as to what we want to say to our friends and relatives. They then will copy the letter inserting the proper names. I also include my own little letter in the envelope to add a few more details and of course when to have Flat Stanley back to us and where to send him.

When a Flat Stanley returns, the student gets to be the teacher. He sits up front and shows us his Flat Stanley, reads the letter, and shows any souveniors. We often get pictures, postcards, photo albums, pencils, or stickers. I actually got a Yankee Candle this year! Some responses are very creative and some are not.

After sharing all their stuff, we put Flat Stanley along with 1-2 items up on a bulletin board. We locate where he visited and put a pushpin in to mark the spot. Then I use string to connect the pushpin to the corresponding FS.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
cmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

janicepet

Flat Stanley
Old 06-22-2007, 01:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In March I do a book talk for my first graders. This is before they read the book. Then we discuss what we're going to do and make our own Flat Stanley. This along with a cover letter is sent to a friend or relative in or outside the United States. (This year one of our Flat Stanleys was sent to Norway!) We ask them to be back to school by the end of May. When he returns, the children each get a turn to share their letters, pictures, souveniors, etc. with the class. Some of the projects are very elaborate. We even get emails from Flat Stanley while he is on his adventure. While we are sharing we plot where he has been on a map. Needles to say, after all of this anticipation, the children are very excited about reading the book.
janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Flat Stanley
Old 06-22-2007, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have done Flat Stanley off an on for years. One year he mostly stayed local. We got great pictures back of him riding a horse, getting his teeth cleaned at the local dentist office, eating in a local restaurant, etc. Another year he really made the rounds! He rode shotgun with a truck driving granddaddy who stopped and took pictures of him each time they crossed a state line! Then he went to Europe with an aunt and uncle who sent him back to us with a bag of chocolate candy from Germany. He visited a soldier cousin stationed in a foreign country. The highlight for the kids one year was that Flat got to go see a movie that they all wanted to see that had not yet made it to our local theater. The kids were jealous "he" got to see it first!

I will probably do Flat again this year--haven't in a couple of years now. I always read the book aloud first. Then I have each child make their own personal Flat Stanley from a pattern. We make a construction paper folder that will hold him, a cover letter of introduction and a folded paper journal. All of that will fit in a 9 x 12 manila envelope. Then the kids take him home and send him off on his adventures. In our cover letter we ask that he return to us by the first of May. I scrapbook anything we get returned--postcards, brochures of places he visits, pictures, etc. I stress to the kids that his adventures can be local because we live in a small rural community where a big adventure for some of these kids is going to Wal-Mart! They just don't know anybody outside the community to send him to. I don't believe in sending him off to unknown celebrities. We stick to family members, neighbors. One time a little boy brought his Flat Stanley back with what my kids thought was a grand adventure. The boy had taken Flat with him when he went to play at another child's home. That child's dog had gotten hold of Flat and chewed his foot off! He had the evidence right there--complete with teeth marks!

tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

question
Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Does each student only the Flat Stanley out one time? Or after it comes back, do they send it again to somewhere different?

GB

Flat Stanley
Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been planning a FS project for the first thing this fall.

I plan to read a chapter or two and have the students read in pairs and individually.

I plan to have each student do two FSs and have them bring two addresses from home to send him out. We'll mark on a map where each student's FS is going. They will have to write a letter to the recipient, and we'll add a summary, ideas, and a journal to record some adventures. I'll be teaching about how to write a friendly letter through this, as well as the US map and the relation of our state to the US. It will fit well with our pen pals that I think we've found.

I also plan to take their pictures and add it to the "headless" FS template for our wall or door. So, they'll actually do three-two to send out and one to keep around.

I got a couple FS templates from www.flatstanley.com, as well as ideas.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The way I do my Flat Stanley project is:

Each child makes a Flat Stanley. They give/mail him to someone they know to start his adventures. That person then can either send him back to the child, or send him on to someone else that THEY know who will host him for a while before sending him on again. Usually Flat Stanley has come back home for a few days before the child sends him out again, but not always. A lot of times he makes the rounds of family members--he's sent to Grandma in Texas who sends him to Aunt Debbie in Arkansas, who sends him to Uncle Tom in Oklahoma, etc.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

another question...
Old 06-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I so appreciate everyones help...as always, so helpful!

Do you have a letter that you send with it? What guidelines or hints do you send along with your Flat Stanley?

janicepet

Old 06-23-2007, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We send our Flat Stanleys with a cover letter. If you'd like I could send you a copy of my letter when I go to school the next time. You could PM me with your address.

janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote