Help

ARCHIVE

Teacher planners/organization?

>

anglcakes7

Teacher planners/organization?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I am a brand new teacher and will start my 3rd grade classroom in August. I just found these boards and have found SO many helpful tips to use in my classroom.

I am a VERY organized person. How do you keep all of your teacher "stuff" organized, such as your lesson plans for the week, class roster, schedule, etc. I was looking at the local teacher stores and have found "planners" but I do not know if those work or not. My mentor teachers just used binders with tabs? Any suggestions on what works the best to keep everything organized?

Thank you very much in advance!

anglcakes7 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

organization
Old 06-21-2007, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I find it best to have binders for most items, as well as a planner and lesson plan book.

I write out my lesson plans in my lesson plan book, but I also have them typed out in detail with any worksheets attached, and those go in a binder. I have one binder per quarter.

The class roster and schedule is in the front of my grade book. I also have a poster with my schedule on it - to prevent my students from asking what time something occurs (they'll drive you crazy with that otherwise!).

I have a folder with my state benchmarks, so I can easily look up something.

I have a binder with my "year-at-a-glance" that I just worked on this summer. I have pages in it with other ideas (decorating, read alouds, etc...) so I have all of them in one place.

It sounds like a lot, but I have to be able to get my hands on things easily - I hate to dig for something - I'll forget what I'm looking for if I do that!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

abbiyoyo

Old 06-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

After searching for many years for the "perfect plan book"- I did as your mentor teacher did. It included: my duty schedule, class roster with phone/address, lesson plans ( I created my own template) , school calendar, my classroom calendar, district standards, special area class schedule, star of the week schedule, lunch bunch schedule, etc. After a few years of having it all seperate, the notebook really worked for me. When I need to bring stuff home, all of the info was at my finger-tips. Another great tool for me was to create an "assessment binder". It was tabbed by subject and I kept ALL assessment data/results in it. When it was time to create reports and analyze data, it was all in one place. This was my "black assessment binder" and at the end of the year it was really loaded!
abbiyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote

cmorgan

Planner
Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use a binder to hold my lesson plans. In the front pocket of the binder is a class list. I also use the back pocket for important info. A lot of time I stick important notes in my plans close to the actual day the note is about.

I also keep a folder in my desk with important info about the kids and any parent notes. This keeps some of that stuff off my desk so wondering eyes are not reading things they shouldn't be.

Hope this helps and you understand it because my brain isn't working well right now. Summer seems just as busy as the school year!
cmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

azne18

What a great idea
Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the idea of an assessment binder is a really great one. Especially in this time of assessment driving our instruction! Thanks for the great idea .

azne18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheresa

Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Susan teach do you have any templates? Sounds wonderful!! I need to work on those and getting myself more organized. I already cleaned out two file cabinets.
Cheresa is offline   Reply With Quote

anglcakes7

Old 06-21-2007, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions! I will probably do a binder. It seems the most organized.

Being a first year teacher I guess I really can't grasp the concept of how much is going to be in that binder! I have a lot to learn! Thanks again!
anglcakes7 is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

lesson plans on the computer
Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also keep a binder tabbed with many of the above mentioned sections...

For my lesson plans though, I keep them on my computer. In My Documents I have created a folder for Lesson Plans. Then, there is a folder for each Month and within those folders, a folder for each week....I know it sounds like a lot, but for me...it works.

Within the weeks folder I keep the current lesson plans, which for the week is also on my desktop...I have a template that I change up every week. Then, if I have addtional lessons that don't fit in the small boxes of my two page week layout, I put those in that folder for the week. Any resources on my computer that I use for that week, I copy into the folder. I suppose this would only be a good plan if you do all your planning and writing on your computer, which I do. It works for me.

Here's what my lesson plan template looks like. It is generally a full two pages once I have things typed in the boxes.

The important thing is finding what works best for you...It took me a few years of trial runs to find what best suited me. Don't be afraid to explore and tweek different options!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lesson Plan Template.doc (52.5 KB, 663 views)
ismile is offline   Reply With Quote

Sharon D. W.

Clipboard and Binders
Old 06-22-2007, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi. I also created my own Lesson Plan page for each of the 6 days of my school's cycle. I limit it to 2 pages unless I have a sub coming then I type out much more detailed info and it can be 6-7 pages long. I keep these on a clipboard from day to day and eventually they are placed in a binder with tabs for my "plan book". I also keep most ideas in a 2-3 inch binder set up by months of the year. Most months have two binders. I go through them the month before and pull out what I need and prep it.

It's not perfect but overall it works for me. You kinda need to play with it and see what will work for you and adpt as you go from year to year. I now have the secretary order me one binder each Fall and no traditional plan book...

sdwl
Sharon D. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Cheresa
Old 06-22-2007, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have a template - I just use the lesson plan book that the school gives me. The plans aren't written in detail in this - just something simple for the school to have a record (they take our lesson plans at the end of the year -and I don't want to give up my binders!).

When I type them out (or write them) they just have the days on them - and what I'll be doing (page numbers, etc...). Then I attach any worksheets to them with a paperclip. I holepunch them and put them in my binder in chronological order. Each binder says "1st 9 weeks, 2nd 9 weeks, ....".

You did great to clean out 2 file cabinets - isn't that a wonderful feeling?! I love that! That's a nice start!

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

sk

Template
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a template on the computer - a week plan and then a separate reading and maths plan that includes more specific info for my groups. I just need to edit and save each week.
sk is offline   Reply With Quote

PopcornNhugs

notecards
Old 06-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I liked one posters idea about keeping names and numbers in a binder along with everything else. However, I did it a little different.

When they gave me a class list, I cut it up and glued the information onto index cards; one for each student.

I put all the cards in ABC order and put into a little case I bought at walmart (thinner than the kind you use for recipes-snaps shut).

Anytime I need to call a parent, I take out their child's card and write the date and time I'm calling and the reason on the back of the card. This is my foolproof way to stay organized and keep up with parent phone communication.

I also keep files in my cabinet of "notes to parents" and "notes from parents". You definitely want to keep copies of all communication. You never know when something can come back and bite you in the butt.

Good luck on your first year!
PopcornNhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

3rd Grade Teach

Index Cards - more
Old 06-23-2007, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I hand out an index card to the parents at back to school night. I ask them to write down their name and the best phone number to call them during the day with issues such as discipline, missing pe shoes, party supplies, etc. I also ask them to write down their email address. I ask them to write down something about their child they'd like me to know. I carry these with me across the room to the phone. I also write down when I contact the parent by phone and the result. I also write down what they donated for the party. I don't want to keep asking the same parents for things each time.
3rd Grade Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

ncteach3

lesson plans
Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

After many years to trying many things, this past year I decided just to write my plans in a spiral notebook. I don't like plan books (often not enough squares and too small), the templates on the computer are great but I have had troublew with computer reliability, the binder idea is great and I tried it but.....well, one must be organized to begin with.
Another thing I did this year was to place all my materials in plastic containers according to the SCOS objective. For example, one objective in science is soil. I placed all my trade books, worksheets, activity guides, united streaming video guides, and a list of media center books and videos in the container. Now when I am ready to do soil, I will take the whole container with me to plan. In addition, when I am ready to refile my materials, placing them in one place will be a breeze (I hope) compared to 3 or 4 different storage places.
The important thing is to find what works for you.
Good luck!
ncteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paul S.

What I found that works...
Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have tried so many things, and I have talked to many new teachers. Sometimes, it is just easier and faster to write it out. Some people make a template and then photocopy it so the regulars such as music, P.E., recess, etc. are just there.

The one great advantage to typing it is that when you want to move a lesson to a different day, you can just cut and paste. I am attaching the template I use. I type it out and then I glue it into a regular plan book. I just think that it is easier to manage and looks better. I take other papers from the office such as library and technology schedules for the school and glue them in the front for future reference.

As for grades, I do most of them on the computer and keep printouts in my binder. Type the names in once to make a template. I type in the assignment at top and the grades are averaged for each assignment and for each person.

I hope these help.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Plans template.xls (14.5 KB, 486 views)
File Type: xls Blank Grade Sheet.xls (18.5 KB, 260 views)
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote