Wonders vs Reading Street - ProTeacher Community

stephsauls

Wonders vs Reading Street
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All, We are looking for a new reading program. Two of the companies that we are looking at are McGraw/Hill with Wonders and Scott Foresman with Reading Street. Please give me feedback if you are or have used these programs. How do they compare in phonics instruction? Literature? Time scheduled? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

stephsauls is offline   Reply With Quote

Eli O.

Reading Street
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not a fan of basals in general. RS has some cute stories, and some I don't like. I don't like that the themes don't always correlate with our science/ soc. st. Like right now I'm teaching Thansgiving, and a story about an armadillo. I only teach 1/2 day, so that is a big negative for me.

You will get a lot of guided reading books, so that is a plus.

Assessments are not great, we use some of them.

I think the newer version has a lot of technology videos for kids.

Reading strategy instruction is not good either.

It assumes kids have had preschool, so they do nothing with nursery rhymes, and letter instruction is not good for your lower kids.

I do a lot of supplementing, but I would with any basal. Glad my principal let's me

Not familiar with other series.
Eli O. is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

We currently use Reading Street, and have
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

looked at the new Reading Street with Common Core correlations. I can already tell that they did not make as many changes to the actual literature used in the series. The same stories are there, but they have added more non-fiction selections. All in all, I am not as impressed with Reading Street. We also have a Wonders set, and just from a brief once-over, our K team already loves it! It has wonderful big books with sight words highlighted--would be so nice for practicing familiar words. It also has a fantastic online component. We currently have McGraw "My Math", and all K-6 in our district love it! They seem to have a better handle on the Common Core requirements, and I like the mix of non-fiction and fiction titles offered in the reading series so I am leaning toward Wonders, but our 3rd-6th grade teachers will have more pull in the decision making process.
pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

stephsauls

Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your input. It helps to hear from teachers who are actually using it instead of just the reps who are selling it.
stephsauls is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnydays21

Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

MacMillan reading series is terrible. It's extremely low. I liked Scott Foresman a lot. I kept workbooks from that series and just photocopy.

sunnydays21 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Reading Street
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Strengths
-phonetic instruction
-good stories
-lots of differentiation

Weaknesses
-no higher level questions with stories
-as PP said, no correlation to other themes for cross curricular
instruction
-same reading lessons are taught every unit which makes for
very routine lessons

We had used the previous series from Scott Foreaman before RS & I actually liked that better for the reading lessons. They mixed it up & made it fun. But this series does a good job at getting the kids to read. My students generally come in with pretty good alphabet knowledge, so that helps. I don't have too many below level.

Just my 2 cents!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

CoolNana

Wonders
Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I will be trying out Wonders in my 1st grade classroom after spring break. I will have training in about a week. I like some of the things that I see so far from the sampler. I love the generous use of trade books. I also appreciate the great use of technology.

I will post back here in a few weeks to let you know what my first impressions are.
CoolNana is offline   Reply With Quote

jab510

How is it?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi, I was just wondering how your piloting of Wonders was going in your classroom? We are having a very difficult time deciding between wonders and reading street. Our k-2 teachers really like reading street for the catchy songs, and videos. Does Wonders have anything like that?

Thanks in advance!
jab510 is offline   Reply With Quote
megteacher17

megteacher17

3rd Grade Teacher
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi! I am piloting Reading Wonders right now and actually really like the program.....
-Great selection of texts for Anthology and Close readings
-Great connection to Technology
-Curriculum is designed to meet different learners (ELL students included)
-Good "Think Aloud" questions to ask during shared reading, however I think the questions could be a little more rigorous.
-Spelling Lists are differentiated.
-Vocabulary is integrated with anthology texts.
-Grammar lessons are okay (could be a little stronger).

We are also piloting Journeys. Is anyone familiar with Journey's. I can't decided which of the two I like better?!?!?

mos

teacher 4th Grade Reading Wonders New
Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I need some assistance from some one who is using the program reading Wonders. Where do I start? What do I do first? is there a contact person at McGraw Hill?
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicki 2654

Nicki 2654

Answer to your question
Old 12-22-2013, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

They say you are supposed to start with the first nine days to setting up the expectation of the lesson/series. My team decided that we would complete a week before we move on. The lessons if you do everything will take well over 2 hours to teach daily. The leveled reading books take extra time during class time to complete. If you have computer access it is nice because it has what you are supposed to teach for the week. I am always move things if my students are not able to get through it all in one day.
You need to make sure the when you give the students the weekly tests you check the answers before you grade them. I have found incorrect answers in the answer keys.
I hope this helps you or others!