Help

ARCHIVE

Harcourt Storytown

>

Teaching2nd

Harcourt Storytown
Old 06-22-2007, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone using this series?? We just adopted it for '07-'08 school year. I have all the teacher manuals at home, but haven't cracked them yet. Any thoughts on the series?

Thanks!

Teaching2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

We have Harcourt but...
Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's Harcourt Trophies for second grade. I'm not sure how different or similar they might be. We just adopted it last school year and I do like it. There is so much included that it is almost impossible to teach it all. I am hoping that this up coming school year will be a little easier, since it will be my second year teaching with this series.

If you know any of the stories in your anthology, I can tell you if my series uses the same ones or not. Also, the site: thevirtualvine.com has a lot of activites and worksheets for the Trophies series if they are similar.

Good Luck, and try not to get too overwhelmed once you open up your manuels.
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Teaching2nd

I wonder
Old 06-24-2007, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

if it is the same one. This is called Storytown and is copyright 2008. It is brand new. I looked at the first theme in the 2-1 teacher's edition. Here are the stories:

Athur's Reading Race
Frog and Toad All Year
Henry and Mudge
Dogs
Theme Review: Neighborhood News

Thanks for the website tip. I will check it out.

msamyb

My stories are different
Old 06-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Unfortunately, my stories are a little different. I start off with:

Theme: Being Me
The Mixed Up Chameleon
Get Up and Go
Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon
Days with Frog and Toad
Wilson Sat Alone

Theme: Helping Hands
The Enormous Turnip
Helping Out
Mr. Putter and Tabby Fly the Plane
Hedgehog Bakes a Cake
Lemonade for Sale

Theme: Our World
Johnny Appleseed
From Seed to Plant
The Secret Life of Trees
Watermelon Day
Pumpkin Fiesta

Theme: Imagine That
The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash
How I Spent My Summer Vacation
Dear Mr. Blueberry
Cool Ali
The Emperor's Egg

Theme: Neighborhood News
The Pine Park Mystery
Good-bye Curtis
Max Found Two Sticks
Anthony Reynoso: Born to Rope
Chinatown
Abuela
Beginner's World Atlas
Dinosaurs Travel
Montigue on the High Seas
Ruth Law Thrills a Nation

If I can help with any of these stories, just let me know.
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote
AHope

AHope

response to reading series
Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

these themes are not from the NEWEST series because the stories listed here are what i taught with during the 2006-2007 school year. the newest series probably has new and different stories...but i haven't seen it yet. hope this helps

Ilduara

Ilduara

Storytown
Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Storytown is so exciting! Stories are shorter than the ones in Trophies, the former Reading Program. Storytown has more expository text (real life stories). It also has fiction stories and a variety of genre.
Robust Vocabulary and Fluency are major strands in this program. Also, it has the Questioning the Author section and Readers Theater. You will love Storytown! From Guatemala, in Central America

Teaching2nd

Great!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sounds exciting! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Now I just have to read the stories!
Chgo2nd

Chgo2nd

Storytown
Old 06-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm not sure why there is so much confusion between the two series but Trophies has nothing to do with Storytown. Storytown is a "brand new" series for 07-08. There is nothing even available yet online unless you go to the Harcourt website and even then it is still under construction. We used Trophies last year and will be adopting Storytown for 07-08. Unfortunately our district has decided not to purchase student practice books because they want the teachers doing more "authentic" work. Obviously the people making the choices are not in the classroom. :-) I hope this helps.
laughqd

laughqd

Centers
Old 09-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am using this series. Do you have any center ideas? We are getting ready to start Wilson Sat Alone.
Vick

Vick

Help with lemonade story
Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Please if you have anything that I can use for an activity or activities for the lemonade story please email them to me at vickie13_62@msn.com. I would greatly appreciate the ehlp. Thanks a new teacher.
Vickie

Vickie

storytown
Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We are voting on our new series Wednesday. Do you really like Harcourt's Storytown?
Thanks,
Vickie Copeland
1st Grade
Melissa

Melissa

Harcourt Storytown
Old 04-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our county just adopted Storytown in Florida and I think it is going to be great!
taibbird

taibbird

Storytown 1st year
Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is the first year our k-6 has been using Storytown. We call it Boringtown. There is so much teacher talking, students passive, I can't stand it! It has been years since I have used a series and all that has changed is that it is now broken up into the 5 components of reading. If you want to teach any other subjects you have to make cuts to Storytown.

I am in NY and this does not align with the state ELA assessment so we have to include test prep at another time. Give me back my literature and real books!

ccarlton

Storytown
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My school adopted this series last year and we began implementing it this year. It's the first real curriculum the district has ever adopted so the teachers I work with were very excited to finally have some resources. I
have previously used Harcourt Trophies.

What I know about this series is that each theme is five weeks long. The first two stories of each theme teach the same skill, then the next two weeks a new skill is taught. The last week of the theme is a reader's theatre and it is a review of the skills and strategies taught during the theme.

There is a lot of material to cover, as another poster said, it's nearly impossible to get it all in. For me, I kind of pick and choose the things I feel my kids need to the most.
ccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
mts student

mts student

blah
Old 04-05-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

this storytown thing is so boring!!!PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!
mts student

mts student

student
Old 04-05-2009, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

this storytown thing is so boring!!!
PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally agree with taibbird!
Dolphin5

Dolphin5

Teacher
Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We piloted the Storytown program last year and are going for full adoption this year. If you are used to whole group and guided reading group routines....its not that hard. The TE is so user friendly...it almost gives you too much of a script! There is a great website from The Lakewood School in Phoenix, Alabama with things you need for each grade level. Google it.

ccarlton

Storytown
Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The school I was at last year adopted this series. It was the first ever reading curriculum that the district had purchased. They are a rather constructivist district. The teachers were very excited about getting curriculum and resources. I taught third grade with this series. When I taught this I picked and chose from the suggested activities in the TE, but I also noticed that this program was very teacher directed and I found it boring, so while I did teach the core concepts, I taught the curriculum through small group instruction implementing given center activities and activities that I created myself. For first year teachers, this curriculum gives them direction, but veteran teachers might find that they need to spice up or supplement it with their own ideas or resources.
ccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
OFELIA

OFELIA

Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Go to harcourt storytown resources Phenix public schools
you will find all the help you need
Kdg Tchr

Kdg Tchr

Kindergarten teacher
Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We are in year three of storytown and I agree it is dry and very scripted. We have also found that is very lacking in phonics. A lot of what was supposed to be sent out to our school never arrived and after much follow-up on the wanted materials...we are still waiting for our kits to be complete. The only response we got was that they were very busy filling orders because everyone wants this series....hard to believe that!