Help

ARCHIVE

Name plates question

>

3rd Grade Rox

Name plates question
Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know where I can find name plates that are easily removeable? All of my students have tables and so moving their name plates when they move seats is a pain. They leave such a residue and they tear so easily. I was thinking that it'd be great to find name plates that are the same material as window clings. Those would be so easy to remove. Does anyone know where to find those, or what do you do for name plates?

3rd Grade Rox is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

name plates
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's a good idea to have the easily removable kind. I haven't seen those, but they sound like a good invention idea!

I use contact paper over mine, and it doesn't leave a residue (or hasn't so far!), but I don't know how many times you can restick it before it won't work anymore. I had to remove them a few times, so I know it'll work at least 2 times, but not sure after that.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

name plates
Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about attaching them with little pieces of velcro. This way when you want to move them, just undo the tag and put it in the new spot. The only residue is the little spots where the velcro is, but you don't need to remove that every time, just maybe at the end of the year. Don't know why I never thought of this before now. My kids desks got used on the weekends by other groups and tags were always being picked at---not to say owner of tag was not guilty, at times.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

buster

Laminate and velcro
Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I laminate name plates I want to use and then use velcro dots at each end to secure them to the table. If I happen to place a student by someone they talk to then I detach their name plate and move them somewhere else.
buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Puma

Puma

Old 06-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I taught with tables, my team-teaching partner and I bought those Rubbermaid-style dishpans at the dollar store for each student. They put their folders/books/supplies in them and kept them under their chairs. We put the name tags on the tubs instead of on the table. Then, when we moved the students, we just had to move their tubs. We had around 48 students, and it only took a couple of minutes to rearrange them.

javamomma

Thanks for the idea
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
When I taught with tables, my team-teaching partner and I bought those Rubbermaid-style dishpans at the dollar store for each student. They put their folders/books/supplies in them and kept them under their chairs. We put the name tags on the tubs instead of on the table. Then, when we moved the students, we just had to move their tubs. We had around 48 students, and it only took a couple of minutes to rearrange them
I teach with tables and I have gotten frustrated with the management of supplies. I like this idea and think I will try it in the fall!
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Puma

Old 06-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We had take-home folders that were all the same color, and the tubs were nice, because when we said "Tubs Up", they would put their tubs on the table. We could tell at a glance who had their folders and who didn't. They always kept their folders and books standing up (long side on top) rather than stacked in the tub. It was a lot easier to keep them organized, because you could see everything, unlike the desks I have now that open and close on the top. I think we kept a container in the middle of each table with crayons, pencils, scissors, glue, etc. for the students to share, but they could easily each have a small supply box in the tub.
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

velcro dots and laminate
Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do this as well. A Tip if you go this route: Put sandwhich together the dots and attach the rough side to the nametag. I do one on either end of the nametag, then uncover the back of the dot that is not attached to the desk yet, and press down where you want it. This makes it a lot eaiser to line them up.

3rd Grade Rox: I think you should invent the window cling kind...what a fabulous idea...I would totally go for it!!!!
ismile is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Cleaning solution
Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

GOO BE GONE is the best product ever. It takes the sticky residue off of anything. If you cant' find it, buy the orange scent car air freshner at Wal-Mart. It is in a white bottle and about $4. Make sure it has orange oil in it and the goo will come right off.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

pammy52

laminated pockets
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just saw something in a Really Good Stuff catalog. It is a vinyl sleeve that you stick on the desktop and then you can slide nameplates in and out. I was actually thinking of trying this myself.
http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/resul...yword=154784TJ

or they have laminated cling filmy type ones. I've used those before but they weren't reusable once you pulled them off. A teacher I worked with last year didn't put name plates on the desk at all instead she put them on the back of the chairs.
I hope this helps.
Pam

pammy52 is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

name tags on chairs...
Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have never seen or thought of this...and I really like it! Thanks for sharing!

Bertie

measure
Old 06-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

.....from experience I just wanted to add the advice to measure the distance you want between the dots of velcro, and make sure its the same distance on every name plate and every desk/table. That way you can move them very easily. Don't just "eye" them as I did first time - some tags won't fit correctly.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

dp

nameplates
Old 06-26-2007, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't have tables, but at times I wish I did. For those who have the regular desks, I like laminating the name plates and then attaching the stick-on magnetic strips found at Wal-Mart. This makes it easier to attach them to any sides of the desk. Too bad the student chairs weren't magnetic.
dp is offline   Reply With Quote

Carebear

Really Good Stuff
Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I purchased the nameplates last year at Reallygoodstuff.com. They were amazing at first, so easy to use, and looked great on the desk. However, after a few weeks the kids had torn and pealed at them. They were more expensive and didn't last any longer than contact paper. Plus they still left a sticky residue on the desk. I might either just use contact paper or velcro this year. If you have tables, the tubs sound like a great idea.
Carebear is offline   Reply With Quote

beachmom

name tags
Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I too used velcro and placed them on the back of their chairs. We also had tent type name tags for subsitutes and special visitors who were unable to see the back of their chairs to call on them. My name tags lasted all year and their desks stayed clean
beachmom is offline   Reply With Quote

3rd Grade Rox

Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! They sure help to generate great ideas!

Those of you who use the velcro on the name tags, do the name tags last all year? I've seen some teachers use them and the names tags get pretty beat up. How do you make yours last?

I hadn't thought about using the tubs. That would be a great way to clean up a lot of their clutter!

That is a brilliant idea to use the name tags on the chairs! My students get so attached to their chairs! This would be a great way to make sure that the students all have the same chairs all year.

I was looking at Really Good Stuff and they have some self adhesive vinyl name tags. Is that the same stuff they use for window clings?

Thanks for all the ideas guys!! YOU ALL ARE AWESOME!

maryell

One more reply
Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I use the old fashioned two sided name plates. I print first and last name on one side and cursive first and last name on the other side. I fold it and stand it on their desk for the first day or two until I know all the names. I then collect them and pass them out periodically during the year--when we practice writing names or when I change desks. Most of the name plastes lasted for the year and I sent them home on the last day.
maryell is offline   Reply With Quote

kt

Rubber Cement
Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I laminate name tags that I make with my graphics program. I use the 1/4 fold card and they're finished lickity-split. I make them seasonal, sometimes only four per year, sometimes more often. Then I glue them to the desk top with rubber cement. When you peel off the nametag, the rubber cement rubs right off the desk. I love it! You just can't do it while the kids are in the room - it stinks like crazy.
kt is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

rubber cement
Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have never thought to use rubber cement...hmmm.

Do you have single desks so the same student as the same desk all year? I have double desks so I have to move their name tags anytime they change seats...

Carolynn

rubber cement?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I used rubber cement one year and the tags fell right off. How do you keep that from happening?
Carolynn is offline   Reply With Quote

3rd Grade Rox

Old 06-27-2007, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Holy cow! I hadn't thought about using rubber cement at all. Does it work if you laminate the name tags?

ismile- I too have double desks. It's such a pain to pull off their name tags every time they change desks.

3rdGradeGuru

Rubber Cement is the BOMB!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

First, laminate the tag-then rubber cement. I've never had any problems!
3rdGradeGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherkathy

Really Good Stuff
Old 06-27-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I got the vinyl name tags from Really Good Stuff and put velcro dots on the backs instead of using the self-adhesive they come with. They lasted all year and were easy to rip off when I had to move kids to a different table.
teacherkathy is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Vinyl sleeves
Old 06-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I used the vinyl sleeves from Really Good Stuff when I had tables and I loved them. The problem is, they are very expensive. But if the kids are careful with them, they will last more than one year.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

dallen1

paintsticks
Old 06-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I teach first-but I got this idea from my daughter's K teacher. She paints paintsticks and then writes students names on them. Keeps them on desk area with velcro-easy to move-no residue-wonderful idea-I am going to use this
dallen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kate26

magnet strips
Old 06-30-2007, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I place magnet strips on the back of my name plates and put them on the front of the desks. They are easy to remove. If I have the children's desks arranged in tables I place the name plate on the side of their desk.
Kate26 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunk

Name Tags
Old 07-02-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I also have tables and hated name tags coming up, students playing with them, and having to deal with moving them when I moved their seats. I now put the name tags on the back of their chairs. So when I move the students they will take their chairs with them to the new spot. This alleviated a lot of mess for me. I laminated just the basic name plates with their names on it. The other idea I saw a teacher do was write the students name directly on the table in their spot. You can use finger nail polish remover to take it off when you want to change. That would be too much for me especially if you were making multiple changes. The tags on the back of the chairs worked best for me.
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote

stretchberry

vinyl name badge holder
Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Adhere a vinyl name badge holder to the table. These are cheap at Wal-Mart. You could use print-your-own business card paper for the inserts.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
BusyBees

BusyBees

Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I found some adhesive vinyl pouches online that are only .99 cents each. I don't know how good they are but I think I am going to try them out this year. I found them on vinylevelope.com