Help

ARCHIVE

Survey: room dimensions?

>

stretchberry

Survey: room dimensions?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When I see pictures of classrooms on the web or in professional books, I am always amazed at how large the rooms seem. What size is everyone's classroom? Mine is 24 feet x 32 feet--which seems tiny to me. I could never do many of the arrangements that I see in other classrooms.

I am wondering how many of you are in a tiny room and how many are blessed with a huge one.

stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Lodi 3rd

The Principal measured
Old 06-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

mine because the 6th grade teacher who is in a portable wanted a bigger room and had her eye on my room Turns out my room is 29x30 and the portable is 30x30! Phew saved by a foot. The difference is I have 20 3rd graders and the other has 31 6th graders. I told the teacher that I used to teach 6th grade in this same room and there was not enough space for everyone and everything.
Lodi 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

nanz

Unsure of the Actual Square Footage
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My room is small X smaller.

I have 22 students and am always struggling to find a desk arrangement that allows for good traffic flow. I do not have the floor space for anything other than student desks and a guided reading table in the back.

I do get a little jealous when I see the size of some of the classrooms posted on teacher websites and in professional books. I would love to bring in more furniture and create an inviting reading area in my classroom.

Without the benefit of more space, I try to make my room warm and inviting through the use of color and the placement of the furniture I can fit within the four walls.
nanz is offline   Reply With Quote

2nd grade rocks

Old 06-25-2007, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My new modular room will be 27 X 30.

Liz
2nd grade rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_b_from_nc

My old room
Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

was 21 feet by 29 feet. It was 609 sq feet. It made/makes me crazy to look at floor plans in books and not have a scale! I'm dying to know how big my new room will be. I'll post when I find out.

mrs_b_from_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeDeb

Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am blessed with a big room. I don't know the measurements, but I have plenty of room for: 8 groups of 5 desks each, a building/puzzle area, an art center table, a writing/listening center table, a reading area with 8 chairs, a library, an area where students can sit in-front of the board, a huge counter where I can keep mailboxes plus other things, plenty of room for my desk, my personal shelves behind my desk, and my aides desk. However, I do have 35 second graders and a small closet. I would rather have classroom space though. Like I said, I am blessed. I have been in this class for 11 years.

Last edited by 2ndGradeDeb; 06-25-2007 at 02:31 PM..
2ndGradeDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Old 06-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't know the dimensions of my room, but it is TINY! I have small classes (nine this last year), and it feels cramped! I do have space for everything I need, but could never fit in everything that see in pictures.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

Had a tiny room
Old 06-25-2007, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My old classroom was the smallest of my level about 20x 26 for25-26 preschool and kindergarten children.

Our new temporary home is 28x 52 feet. Oh what will I do with all that room? I am scared that they will take theroom and RUN. I do have to stratigally (sp?) arrainge it. I did give up windows. NONE! Justa door to the hall and the bathrooms are up the hall.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Mine is 25 1/2 feet by 27 feet. I measured when I painted so that I could rearrange my furniture. I wanted to plan it out on paper before I started moving furniture.

I have enough room for all my stuff . . . but I'm also very good at making every space count. My old classroom was so much smaller that when we moved I felt like I'd won the lottery with all that space.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

stretchberry

classroom size (article/recommendations)
Old 06-25-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This issue has been bugging me. I have a larger than usual group coming, so I'm thinking about arrangement and space. I found an interesting article online that talks about recommended classroom size. It's 900 square feet in the U.S.; mine is slightly smaller than that--832 sq. ft. The article recommends about 50 sq. ft. per student for elementary. I only have about 40 sq. ft. per student. (I think I have permission to whine now! )

The article also references some research that correlates achievement with classroom size. It's a good read if anyone is interested.

"Minimum Classroom Size and Number of Students Per Classroom"

http://www.coe.uga.edu/sdpl/research...toriality.html

stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Wow!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

According to that article I'm down by 369 square feet! My school tops out at 20 students per classroom but my room is only 660 square feet! That's a 22ftX30ft room! The article recommends 1029 square feet. I knew that room was too small!!!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
GraceK

GraceK

Old 06-25-2007, 11:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We all have the same size classrooms (they are like portables, but really nice ones). I should know how big they are, because we measured them, but I can't remember! My dh thinks it's about 35x32. I had 22 upper el kids in there this year, and room for a TINY computer corner, small book corner, and a few extra tables. Next year, it'll be 24 kids so I'm scrapping the book corner and hoping I can move my desk and the computer corner to make more room for desks. No floor space. I'm moving classrooms, but it's not big deal, as all my furniture will move with me and it's the same size room- at least I know that! !

tweet

small
Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Can't remember the dimensions. Had my kids measure it last year--wasn't real accurate, off by a foot or so both ways, but it was 30-something by 20-something. We average 18-20 kids. I have 5 round tables, a reading corner and a couple of other areas against the walls. It always feels cramped, I think in part to the dropped ceilings. The classrooms in our 1st-2nd wing feel huge in comparison--they also have huge walk-in closets for storage (we have a tiny cubby of a closet.)
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

cinaminsweet

Room Size
Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't know the actual dimensions of my new classroom, but it is huge! It's one of the biggest classrooms in the school. My classroom last year was a nice size, but it will be nice to have the extra space. Also, I should only have about 15-17 students, so there will be plenty of space for all of us. I'm going to try and get the actual dimensions next time I go to my school.
cinaminsweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Random

Old 06-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This year my room is 23 x 30. I have built-in shelves along the long wall, a cupboard, a filing cabinet, my desk, 6 tables (groups of 4 desks), a reading corner with a small rug, a round table, a computer and a big rug. It's 690 square feet. Through creative use of space and making sure that everything does double duty, it feels very cozy and homey. I just have one large floor plan rather than lots of centres and corners. Traffic flow is fine. Honestly, it's big enough for me and my 23 students.

Next year I will have 20 students and my room is HUGE - 23 x 44. To be honest, I'm not sure what to do with all of that space, since I won't have any extra furniture and will actually have less shelving...just built-in shelves along the short end, a cupboard, a filing cabinet, 20 child-sized desks, one me-sized desk, a round table and a computer table. I would love to create centres and nooks, but I hate to buy anything since I may have to switch rooms again next year. And there is NO room for extra furniture in my current room, so anything I buy wouldn't be long term.

My new room will be 1012 square feet. To be honest, I'm not sure that those recommendations (50 square feet per student) are realistic or necessary. As I said, this is a VERY large room, but it is only 12 square feet over the recommended size.

Last edited by Random; 06-26-2007 at 02:43 PM..
Random is offline   Reply With Quote