Secular books in Christian schools - ProTeacher Community

trishg1

Secular books in Christian schools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am careful, but let's be honest. There are not enough quality Christian authors out there to select exclusively Christian novels.

I read A Wrinkle in Time with with my sixth graders for a couple of years. Yeah, I know, there are lots of pros and cons to the book. But believe me, I use it to teach a biblical world view. I mean come on, a dark thing covers the earth and the only thing that will defeat it is love. can you get any more Christian than that?

Yep, a parent complained. Of course he waits until I'm done with the book and based his decision solely on reviews and the book cover. My P took care of it, but I just want to shake parents like that. Don't get me wrong, I had my doubts about it when all I had done was read the reviews, but I READ THE BOOK!!!!!

We will make alternate assignments if parents disagree, and I would not try very hard to change any parent's mind about the issue. I'm just griping.

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's a Christian author with a biblical message in that book. You might try having a parent fact sheet that gives a summary of the book and the specific biblical integration points you will be addressing during the course of study.
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

TraddStLovely

Wrinkle in Time
Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hate it when people jump in to complain without actually knowing what they're talking about!

A Wrinkle in Time is an excellent, thought-provoking book. As you stated, there are many aspects that lend themselves to faith-based discussions. Plus, Madeline L'Engle was the author in residence at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. How is that inappropriate? I am glad that your principal was supportive.
TraddStLovely is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A Wrinkle in Time?!? Seriously? I'd hate to think what the parent would think of the books I've taught. As others have pointed out, she's pretty pro-Christianity. She's not a fundamentalist evangelical, but neither were Tolkien or Lewis.

I think it's ridiculous to expect students to read only texts by Christian authors anyway. As you said, the quantity of quality material by Christian authors is significantly lacking. But beyond that, what about the importance of teaching students how to think through ideas that are presented in books and grapple with conflicting ideas and concepts and formulate their own ideas? Teaching how to apply a Christian worldview to their studies? Teaching them to be in the world and not of it? Showing how exposure to something doesn't mean endorsement? Or simply giving them exposure to a variety of ideas and experiences so that they have background knowledge when studying other things?

People like that drive me insane!!!
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As far as I know, we've never had a parent complain about a book read by older children, but we haven't graduated anybody yet, so there's time. Actually, my school is so young, there hasn't been time for lots of things. DD is teaching high school Lit/English and I think they are reading things as never before. That's good, but sad. She's been shocked about what these kids have never been exposed to and has even been reading aloud to the older kids. (She had a good teacher. )

multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We offer AP English at our HS. Even in the regular curriculum students are exposed to all of the classics and some modern texts- none if which is Christian. But as we all know, some parents think we should bury our heads in the sand and pretend life doesn't exist outside the confines of outer church/school.

We are blessed with parents on the opposite end of the spectrum as well. Just as frustrating.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote