Engage NY - ProTeacher Community

ikoammon

Engage NY
Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone out there using the Engage NY ELA kindergarten Listening and Learning Strands? If so, how are you using it? The teachers in my school are finding it difficult to fit it all in in a 1/2 day session. We are starting the Plant strand when we return from the holidays. So far, I have created the strand as smartboard presentations.... any other age appropriate suggestions or ideas would be great!

ikoammon is offline   Reply With Quote

mushell829

Old 12-25-2012, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am still poking around the site. I am trying to navigate it.
mushell829 is offline   Reply With Quote

readfirst

Hmmm
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is all I can say about it...I do not like it. I did like starting with Nursery Rhymes, but the non-fiction units and teaching about plants in January in New York? The things they want us to do can't be done when there is snow on the ground! I wish they tried it in some districts first before putting it out there for us...we are required to use it...how about you?

I have always spent a long time on my plans each week, but Engage NY takes it to the extreme. There are parts that I like, but having to use my smart board to display the pictures for the stories isn't easy for me (navigating the pictures and holding onto the notebook with the stories/text in!).

I don't know...
readfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

readfirst

full day
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach in a full day program and not sure how you would adapt it for 1/2 day...bless you for being able to...

mushell829

Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree I am in New York going through an ice and snow storm right now. Who could imagine teaching about plants in the winter.

mushell829

Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree I am in New York going through an ice and snow storm right now. Who could imagine teaching about plants in the winter.

Tiffany

Listening and Learning Strands
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We're teaching 5 senses right now. I don't like it. The kids were bored with the lesson today. I am still going to add hands-on activities to the lessons. It just doesn't make sense to me to teach about the 5 senses and not do hands-on activities.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

ikoammon

I agree
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree Tiffany, the state should look up developmentally appropriate practices and see what they come up with. You can still reach the children with the non-fiction, but expect them to move and get involved... this is NOT college, 5 year old ARE expected to move not be lectured at!

Creating the information onto the Smartboard has helped!?!?!?! At least the kids can come up and move things around appropriately.
ikoammon is offline   Reply With Quote

readfirst

not enough book handling
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Mine are having trouble understanding the connection of words on a page and what I read because they can't see the words. I have a low group who isn't exposed to books at home and are really struggling with this curriculum. We are becoming and Extended Learning Day school next year and the kids had to give us ideas of what they would like to do to help them succeed. One of my little girls said, "have my teacher read more books to us." They even know it's not enough...

Marewey

oh boy
Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am going to be a part of a group that will try to integrate our K curriculum with the strands & modules. I just started looking over the website and I am over-whelmed. Please give me some pros & cons. Thank you!
Marewey is offline   Reply With Quote