Revised Morning Work - ProTeacher Community

sarahz1916

Revised Morning Work
Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!!!

Previously, I posted that my Morning Work routine frustrated me greatly last year. This was due to a couple of reasons. One was related to the type of morning work I had and the other to how my routine was devised. I always had some type of sheet I wished for the students to complete in which I had to read the directions (being 1st grade) aloud to them. This created frustration in my life because my students filter down in between 7:15-7:30; therefore, I was continually having to repeat myself every few minutes when I felt a new "batch" of children had walked through the door and were ready to listen. It turned to out to be a bigger hassel than I had ever thought it would be.

Not wanting to repeat this error, I have devised what I hope will be a new, happier, self-sufficient Morning Work schedule.

It is as follows:
1st: Complete the day's Calendar Journal page. This will be slightly like what is seen on Mrs. Meachum's website at www.jmeachum.com, yet more condensed into one page for every day. Her's is much more detailed than I am wishing to do. I feel with a few weeks of modeling this will be quite accomplishable for my little students.

2nd: Move onto Math Tubs. Math Tubs are what I call my open-ended math centers that I used last year while I taught small group math time. The difference this year is that I will have more of them, providing more variety, and offer them in the morning as well as the afternoon during small group math time. In the afternoon I like to choose each center for students, yet I think in the morning time I will allow this to be the child's choice. I think this will be a great motivator to encourage students to be on time to class and complete their Calendar Journal page quickly (no wasting time), as MW will end prompltly at 7:40. Therefore, if they do not work efficiently on Calendar Journal there will be no math tub time. I also think it will be easy to manage their behavior as long as I am very clear about what behaviors I expect. Simply, if you're not behaving appropriatly= no math tub time.

3rd: Since I am attempting Reader's Workshop this year and I need time to allow book browsing time, one day out of the week will be each small group's time to book shop for his/her book bin instead of math tubs, upon completion of Calendar Journal. That way I do not have all students shopping on one day and therefore a "loud crowd" to control. This should be fairly easy to implement as well, for I seat my students desks in groups with each group name being a corresponding day of the week. I'll allow each group to browse on their group's name day.

Hopefully, this will make my life more pleasant and simplify the amount of extra work I have to do.

Any feedback or "tweaking" ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

sarahz1916 is offline   Reply With Quote

kit1024

:)
Old 07-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Looks good! I bet the math tubs will motivate many to get their other work done.

I would definitely agree that they need to have something to work on that they can complete independently...without you having to read the directions. My kids don't all come in at the same time either, so I can see how frustrating it would be to have to repeat the directions many times!

Good luck!
kit1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

ShelliOKteach

Morning Work - question for Sarah
Old 07-05-2007, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wanted to know more about the Calendar Journal that you mentioned in your post. I tried to open the site you had for JMeachum but I couldn't get any of the topics to open. Could you explain a little more about how you are going to do your Calendar Journal. I also teach first grade and looking for new ideas for morning work.

Thanks!

Shelli
ShelliOKteach is offline   Reply With Quote

chockplease

Website for Calendar Math Journal
Old 07-09-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try this web address. This is a great website she has a lot of ideas. http://www.jmeacham.com/
chockplease is offline   Reply With Quote