I need advice! - ProTeacher Community

soconfused

soconfused

I need advice!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been subbing in a local school for five years. During the past five years I have subbed almost every day. If I'm not schedule, they call and I drop what I'm doing and go in no matter what time they call. I only sub at this school and received my degree in May 2012. There were three different classroom positions open this year. I interviewed for two and was not called to interview for the last position created by an early retirement. My husband and I decided that all my dedication and loyalty to this school is wasted. Today I informed the principal's secretary that I was exploring other schools to sub at and she reacted strange. She started saying I couldn't leave that the school would be in a bind. The secretary told me that she had teachers that would not take off if I didn't sub for them and reminded me that there are two classes that I only sub because the behavior is horrible with other subs. She was practically begging me not to stop subbing there. Then she told the other two secretaries I was thinking about leaving and they were saying how much of a bind I would leave our school. Then they started talking about how the principal would be upset. WHAT??? Why is it that they say I'm the best sub in the school system but I'm not good enough to teach full time? I'm on the fence about leaving. It feels like my loyalty to them is overlooked. What should I do???

WIBadgerFan

Subbing
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's the catch 22 of subbing (or getting a job as an aide to get your foot in the door). You do a good job for them, but they won't hire you as a teacher because they want/need you in your current position more. It's hard to get great subs and aides, but not as hard to find teachers. If you can start subbing in other districts you might want to consider it. Sounds like they have all intentions of keeping you as a sub, and not hiring you. You could still sub there some to keep your foot in the door, but I'd start not being as available, especially if you tell them it's because you want a full-time job and want to open up more options.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your loyalty needs to be on what your family needs. If you need a FT job I would start subbing elsewhere to try and get your foot in the door.

You are too valuable to them as a sub. They obviously need to get other subs!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

WIBadgerFan and teachnkids are right on. It's as if you get punished for doing a great job.

Quote:
Then she told the other two secretaries I was thinking about leaving and they were saying how much of a bind I would leave our school. Then they started talking about how the principal would be upset.
...and this is your problem because....????

I say, if you really want a shot at a permanent position, then you need to sign on with other districts. It is very difficult to find good subs, and when a district has good ones on the hook, they do not want to let them go. Sad to say, they probably lose more than a few good people due to the fact that they won't consider them for a permanent position.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I agree
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the school is being selfish to your detriment.
You may want to be very direct: I need a full time position. I have to introduce myself to other places that may have a position for me. Of course, I'll still take sub jobs here when I can.

There is no loyalty given to you by the school or they would have hired you. Do you owe them loyalty?

Stay diplomatic, you'll want a good reference from the principal and the teachers you sub for.

broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 01-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just my personal experience, 2 years ago there was a para position becoming available at a middle school that I subbed regularly.i was told I was the most qualified person who interviewed for the job along with the added bonus that I already had a rapport with the kids (lots of behavior issues). I did not get the job because they needed me more as a sub. Guess what? I am hardly ever available for that school anymore, especially the difficult classes. I have moved on to other schools. Do what is best for you and your family. I still have an administrator text me regularly about subbing for them.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Xb4me

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is nothing wrong with subbing for more than one district. It will allows you to bring home more money each month. Isn't that part of the reason you are subbing?

Do not allow others to pressure you to do what is more convenient for them. If you do, you will be constantly wondering why people take advantage of your generosity and availability.

If this school/district truly values you as a teacher, they will respect your need to make a living.

Subbing provides you with small stints in many classrooms so you will be able to see effective management and teaching. Then when you finally land that full time position, you know how you want to mange your classroom.

Do what is right for you at this moment if time.
Xb4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You have gotten some good advice, and I agree with the previous posters. I have been in a similar situation. I used to sub exclusively for the district I live in, and seemed to be at the top of their subbing list. Positions opened up, and did I even get an interview? Nope. They were happy to hire their student teachers or someone's relative, but they liked me too much as a sub. The superintendent actually said as much to my husband. So I said the heck with that district, and branched out to a bunch more to get my foot in the door. I still subbed in that district when I could, but focused on some others too. In the meantime, I've had 3 long term subbing jobs in districts that I never even subbed in. Go figure!
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

Loyalty
Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

First of all, you've obviously done a good job at that school so pat yourself on the back for that. Secondly, you need to do what is good/right for you...after all, that is what the school is doing by keeping you.

It's too bad that they don't have a permanent sub position with benefits...that might be a nice option.

Good luck.
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

amigurumi

Kudos to you
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sounds like you have terrific class management skills and the kind of sub every teacher would love to have. You should pat yourself on the back for this dedication. However, you need to do what is in the best interest of you and your family. The secretaries are putting a guilt trip on you (although I am sure their admiration of you as a sub is in earnest) because it eliminates the search for another good sub in those difficult classrooms. They could depend on you to come, to the point of dropping what you had planned to help them out.

That is their problem, not yours, if you decide to sub elsewhere as well. I am wondering if what another pp mentioned might be possible, depending on your district, and that is being permanent sub with benefits. You might check that out and talk to admin.

Whatever your decision, you will be an asset to the students, either subbing or permanent!
amigurumi is offline   Reply With Quote
LilahJ

LilahJ

Thought about it overnight...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I sort of feel like I am in your same situation. I'm on my 5th year subbing and still have not the opportunity for my own classroom. I am a highly requested sub in the area which I live and have excellent classroom management skills. This past summer I had two interviews for the same school for about 5 or 6 positions. As it turns out, student teachers and friends of friends were hired and I didn't have enough experience (I love hearing that I don't have enough experience...I have way more experience than the student teachers you just hired...) A few years ago, the superintendent stopped by the classroom I was subbing for and told me that she had heard such great things about me and that I was a "Super Sub." This really makes me think that if you are a great sub, they want to keep you as a great sub. It is way easier to find a teacher than to find a great sub to handle all those (sometimes difficult) classrooms....

You need to do what you feel is right in your heart. I've left schools, and even school districts if I wasn't treated well or felt that they didn't appreciate me. I've also left schools to explore other options. It sounds like the secretaries and the school don't want to loose you, but you have to do what you have to do. Good luck!

classmom75

sounds to me...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

like u are such an awesome sub they don't want to lose you. if they offered you that job you seek you won't be able to help them out like you do now. this speaks more to how well you do your job not how you are lacking..
classmom75 is offline   Reply With Quote

babush

Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am also called "super sub" and know that I have great classroom management skills so am a valuable team player. Long term sub positions are now available in my districts so I will see if I get a shot at these or not as everyone in creation is pregnant and I am supposed to be on the short list to fill in long term. I highly doubt I will get that chance but I would like to be wrong.

I am also in your position, but want to tell you not to fall for the guilt trip. Also, (and this is hard to do), but you need to practice being selfish for once and for right now.

Your mistake was to give them too much info on what you were going to do. I have also done this too, hoping someone would value me or get the hint and put me in a position I was qualified for. It rarely works, as they are selfish for their own interests and will never put you first (as you should stop putting them first).

Now that they know you are looking, it is fine. Go on now and put your name on as many listings as you are comfortable driving out to (considering gas and commute time). But don't mention your plans to them again, just say "I'm already booked" if they call and you can't go or let your phone go to answering machine.

As an aside, I changed my family answering machine message to be more professional (no kids chiming in at the end of the message etc.). It now says our name, press #2 for me, and if this is a school district for a subbing job, please leave the contact name and number, etc. It lets everyone know, hey, she is busy, probably already booked and we will have to wait in line if we really want her.

Remember the boyfriend who wants what he can't have? Try being less available for them and see what happens. Best of luck, I have a feeling you will prevail.
babush is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would start by meeting with the principal. I would tell this person that you enjoy subbing at the school and your ultimate goal is to have a classroom position. Then I would bring up the fact that you interviewed, hadn't been offered a position, and that you would like to know what you can do to improve your chances at getting a classroom position because you'd love to work at the school on a full-time basis. You can have this conversation in a positive way rather than sounding like you are complaining. Tell this person that you really want a shot at a more full-time position (and be willing to take anything to start with-not limited to a classroom position).

Is there ever an option of a long term sub position? That would give you more experience with the day-to day runnings of the same classroom.

As far as your loyalties, based on the conversation with the principal, I would decide from there. Your loyalty is to your family and your goals. The school will not be in a bind. They will find other subs. I hate to say it, but subs are replaceable (just like every other position so it's not a dig on subs!!). I would definitely start exploring other areas/districts. In my district this is the problem-the longer you sub, the less likely you are to get a classroom position. It's kind of a red flag-why has this person been subbing for so long without any other experiences?

Good luck! I hope this works out for you.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have teachers tell me that my local school district does not hire people who sub there. I don't know how true that is since I know some subs have been hired. The fact is there are many excellent teachers looking for jobs. In my local district, sub jobs are very competitive so they are not dependent on certain subs to be available. For example, last night (Sat. night at 6:30PM) three jobs were posted at the same time. They were gone in 10 seconds.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

yup
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would meet with the P and let him know that you are looking for a ft position and since you were nto considered here you will have to expand your search.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote
soconfused

soconfused

Thank you....
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

for all the kind messages. I have spoken to a couple of teachers I trust fully. They told me there is no reason for the principal not to hire me. She said I had such good classroom management skills that I should have no problem getting a full time job. I know the last opening received 85 resumes. The one teacher said it was easier to find a teacher than a sub. (Like the above poster posted.) The other teacher told me it was next to impossible to find a job when you sub because they hurt for subs here.

The secretary called 14 people today. She finally found someone to come in around 11:00 am with the promise of being paid for a full day. There is a definite lack of good subs in this district. The district pays $62 a day with no benefits. I happen to be the only certified teacher on the sub list at this school. I volunteered and put many hours above and beyond. It really hurts and stinks to be walked over and overlooked in this way. I plan to speak to the principal but I cannot right now. The secretary called me over the weekend as asked me to reconsider going elsewhere. She said not to take it personally it was just business on the principal's part. Ugh! I don't want to go back but I am afraid if I do not, I will never get a job. Thanks for all the wonderful advise.

babush

Go back but don't feel bad
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If you go back, don't expect to get a full time job there.

Anyway branch out because the law of large numbers will be on your side and something else will happen sooner than later for you.

I have all but given up on getting full time work again. I had an interview today for a Director of an Alternative school that I was up for and three hours before the interview was to happen, I got an email saying, no, the position is restructured and on hold for 90 days, sorry they will keep my resume, blah blah blah.

I knew not to get excited about it when it was booked, but I was excited nevertheless. Now, I have no feeling that it will happen and have decided to sub, only where and when I want and am respected (so I don't go home resenting it) and I will keep looking outside of education for a job.

If it was meant to be, I would be a full time teacher right now. Not for lack of trying, so it is not meant to be, I have to accept this. In the new year 2013, I am ready to accept this and sub when I can but basically move on (and lose a few more pounds) .
babush is offline   Reply With Quote