ideas for Hawaiian/Beach theme - ProTeacher Community

julesb

ideas for Hawaiian/Beach theme
Old 06-29-2007, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I taught 4th grade last year and had a jungle/safari theme. I have moved up to 5th grade so I will be teaching a lot of the same students. I decided on a Hawaiian theme. I am having trouble deciding on a welcome back to school bulletin board. I have thought about "Look Who's Surfing into 5th grade" but I am having trouble finding surfboard cutouts to write their names on. Any ideas??? For my Reading Center.. I thought about "Dive into a Good Book and Read."
I thought about "Catch the Wave with Good Grades" to display student work...
If anyone has any other ideas, I would really appreciate it.

julesb is offline   Reply With Quote

teachgal

to julesb
Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check out www.orientaltrading.com for other decoration ideas. The titles that you are planning to use sound very good. I am curious to know how your jungle theme worked out last year because I am thinking about using a jungle theme in my classroom and this will be the first time that I have decorated my room in any kind of theme.
teachgal is offline   Reply With Quote

julesb

Jungle Theme Ideas
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used, "Look Who's Swinging into 4th Grade" for outside my classroom at the beginning of the year. I twisted brown paper to make vines. I wrote the names of my students on monkey note paper that I bought at the teacher store. I also made big palm leaves and placed them along the vines. I made a monkey out of paper and had "No Monkeyin' Around" and posted my rules by it. I don't know if you use helpers but I did so I made a giraffe and had "Spotted: Great Helpers." In my Reading corner, I had "Go Explore a Good Book and Read." I made a palm tree and had a little guy with binoculars peeking out from the leaves. For my homework board, I had "An Elephant Never Forgets." You can always use "Wild About...." I bought some safari print border from the teacher store. I had a couch and a loveseat in my reading corner so I ordered several safari print throws from oriental trading and put over those. I also bought a leopard print rug from the Dollar Store and put in the reading center. I taught reading and I often had my students write book recommendations so I had a bulletin board that said "Books to Roar About." I hope that this helps
julesb is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Hawaiian/Beach Theme
Old 06-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This theme will be great for fifth graders!

www.creativeteaching.com - "Beach Ball calendar dates" (CTP 0993) "Sun cut-out" (CTP 4646), "Sunny Smiles border" (CTP 0353), "Hibiscus Red border" (CTP 0421)

www.carsondellosa.com - "Tropical Tree" (CD-1717), "Ocean Waves border" (CD-1240), "Ocean Waves big border" (CD-110073), "Clouds big border" (CD-110070)

www.orientaltrading.com - Luau theme...there are leis, hula kits, party items like parrots, parasols, tiki hut, garlands, flower decorations, cutoouts, tropical fish, starfish, flipflops (which might work for a door decoration instead of surfboards), etc.

www.currentcatalog.com - "Surfboard Treat Holder Valentines" (081262) "Wrapping Paper with Hawaiian theme" ((032237)...might look nice as background on a bulletin board

I was also at a party store on Thursday...could not believe all the decorations they have for a luau.

I hope this helps!
ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote

Gloria

It was my theme last year
Old 07-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Some things I did..

Around my desk I wrapped two hula skirts and added tropical flowers to the top and velcroed it on

I hade each kid make 1 flip flop with their name using foam letters and designs. I bought 11 pairs of flip flops. Hobby Lobby had them for 79 cents a pair last August. I hund those from the ceiling.

I went to the dollar store and bought tiki invitations and sealed them and hung them around the room

The dollar store also had hawaiian shirts, flip flops and other type playing cards, I put their name on each one of the flip flops and made a welcome bulletin board that said "We'll Flip for Fifth"

I also got cute notecards with flipflops on them and made name tags for each desk.

My behavior Chart was a treasure chest them and I had reward bucks called beach bucks that they could purchase things from the treasure chest.

I also hung tropical birds from the ceiling and gave out leis the first day of class

Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

JenNJdance

Hawaiian Kids Printables
Old 07-06-2007, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi! I did a Hawaiian welcome bulletin board one year and used the cutouts that I've posted on my website: http://www.mrsgoldsclass.com/bulletinboards.htm

I think I used a generic slogan like "Aloha Third Graders!"

Let me know if this helps you!
JenNJdance is offline   Reply With Quote

JenNJdance

forgot to add...
Old 07-06-2007, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh yea....I had the kids color in the "kid cutouts" on the first day of school. They colored them in to look like themselves, which made our bulletin board more personalized. I had written their names in black sharpie marker across the bottom of each "kid cutout" so that you could still read their names after they colored them in. Then, during my prep time, I just staped them up really quickly and the bulletin board was done!
JenNJdance is offline   Reply With Quote