Math early finishers - ProTeacher Community

SC4thgrade

Math early finishers
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was just told that in 2 weeks I will be going from teaching all subjects to only Math/Science due to my high test scores in those areas. They have asked me to redo my classroom and create an entire separate area for early finishers. What does everyone use for early finishers? I also will have all the G/T kids in with regular and low students, so I need to find ways to challenge those high kids also. Any help/suggestions/resources would be greatly appreciated!!

SC4thgrade is offline   Reply With Quote

mnolan

early finisher activities
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have my kids go onto the computers to math sites that I have found are engaging and fun. coolmathgames.com is one great site. We do every day math and it has its own game site that kids can challenge themselves depending on the level they choose for the games. How about working with tangrams? They make some great challenge cards to go with tangrams.
mnolan is offline   Reply With Quote

rm206

math
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with PP, I would put them on the computer or give them a project based assignment. Would love to hear any ideas you have used to produce such high test scores????

Congrats to you, that's a nice complement from your admin
rm206 is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I dont teach math but a friend of mine does and this is what she had her early finishers do: problem of the day,review notes, study island, and tenmarks.
powellstarkey is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

early finishers
Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'll play devil's advocate because it's been my experience that when something very fun and cool like computer games is the follow up, all kids tend to rush through.

Having said that there could be ways to ensure work is done well. Maybe you have in place a system where no one can go until a certain time OR a self checking system so that the work is done high quality and accurately. Otherwise computers is not a good idea.

I try to have some problem solving sheets and kids have mini whiteboards to practice zip strips and other facts on.

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Early Finishers
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Superstars Math (google it) has advanced math activities and the students earn stars for correctly completed problems.
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote

catapult

Math
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also switched over to only teaching Math- due to the scores of my students in that area... According to my experience having them do something like computer work has the others jealous... upset... an not concentrating.... I rather like to give "Level Up" examples. These are difficult examples, which makes the bright ones feel good that they can answer such difficult ones- ( I usually tell my 5th graders- these are 8th grade level- lemme see who can be just like an eight grader...) and the weak ones dont rush to be able to do them since for them it is not exciting at all... you got to make sure that the slower students dont feel pressured to finish quickly- because then youll have them doing much poorer than they really could!
catapult is offline   Reply With Quote

dan4th

one more part
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Add sudoku puzzles to whatever else you have. My kids work hard at them.
dan4th is offline   Reply With Quote