Meet the Teacher Night - ProTeacher Community

AZTeacher07

Meet the Teacher Night
Old 06-30-2007, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any ideas of fun things to do for Meet the Teacher Night? Or ways to prepare so I wont be a mess freaking out about it?

AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Grade4Teach

Relax
Old 06-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It seems much worse than it is. I suggest that you plan and make a list of what you want to say. If you have access to technology, a PowerPoint is a great way to keep yourself on track and to help you organize what you want to say. Keep it light, remember that the parents are just there to learn about the person who will be spending a lot of time with their child, not to bite your head off!
Grade4Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

lismac

Old 06-30-2007, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have little treat bags for the parents. Last year it said "Your children are real treasures. Thanks for sharing your wealth with me." Inside I filled it with treasure candies. It was a nice way to break the ice.

I also read the book Seven Blind Mice. We talk about how you need to look at the whole picture and not piece by piece. I related this to how they need to look at their child. Piece by piece they might find flaws, be disappointed, misjudge, underestimate, etc... But looking at all the pieces together make up a very wonderful child. If I can get into school I will look for the exact analogies I used.

Another year I passed out a few real and a few fake apples and did a little mini-hands-on science experiment. My point was to show them how fun it is to have real objects to experiment opposed to just looking at the fake on. I then pointed out that their donations throughout the year make learning so much more fun. HINT HINT mom and dad- send in the things I ask for. It really works. !

I also have a slide show that shows past years' activities so they can get a glimpse in how I run my room and how much fun the kids are having. Also in this show are things I need to let them know about- curriculum, policies, expecatations...

Lastly, I have them write a letter to their child wishing them luck, sharing a story, complimenting them, etc... These notes are tucked into toilet paper tubes that the kids have made to look like themselves.
lismac is offline   Reply With Quote

tj4kids

Just Have Fun!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

lismac I really like your idea about the hands-on science experiments! Some of the teachers at my old school did something similar by having the parents complete part of a webquest.

AZTeacher07, when will you be having your Meet the Teacher Night? Is it before school starts or a week or two into school? Most teachers that I know just show a powerpoint and answer questions as they come up.

Here's a great Open House activity that you might be able to incorporate into your Meet the Teacher after you show your powerpoint! I've seen some teachers have a scavenger hunt where the students have a list of tasks that they walk their parents through showing them what a typical day looks like and some of the things that they have done over the last couple of weeks. At the end of the hunt, their last task is to take their parents to say hello/goodbye to the teacher. This keeps the teacher from having to say a whole lot. I may be doing this same thing next year!

Last year, I taught 2nd grade, and we loved playing games. I filled plastic eggs each with questions that I thought the parents would want answered, and my parents each got an egg when they entered the classroom. Then, I called on them to open their eggs and read their questions. That was a neat ice breaker! I think sometimes parents (just like kids) are afraid to ask questions, but if they're given one to ask, it makes it easier. Then, if there were any other questions, they asked afterwards.

My thoughts are to just have fun with it! Parents want to be engaged in the classroom just like kids!
tj4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher07

Old 07-02-2007, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thanks for the ideas!

Meet the Teacher is then night before schools starts

AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

5thGrdTeachTN

Scavengar Hunt
Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our meet the teacher night is also before the start of school, so I greet each family at the door and hand them a piece of paper on which I have created a classroom scavengar hunt

For Example:
1. Find your desk. Who sits to your right?
2. Locate the classroom library. What book from the fiction section
might you want to read first?
3. Find the words "I am responsible for my actions". What is the first
guideline listed under these words?

I usually have anywhere from 5-10 questions. The last question sends them back to me and I will have a small prize (usually a pencil) for them, and answer any question the student has.
5thGrdTeachTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Karinazeta

Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As a parent, I like to know the educational background of the teacher so as a teacher, I provide that information to the parents as well. I give my expectations of the students, parents, and what they can expect from me. I have passed out pennies to each family and using the year on the penny, they have to say what they were doing during that year. It's a nice, quick ice breaker. I, too, have the parents write a note to their child(ren) and place it on their desk. Always nice to have a love note from home the next day in school. For the parents who do not attend, I write the note to the student(s). As state previously, a PowerPoint presentation is awesome and really keeps you on point. Not to mention the fact that after you present, you can have it run again for the late comers as you "work" the room with parents. Absolutely don't stress! If you want, add a tablecloth, some flowers, and a light treat of cookies or crackers/cheese. Everyone loves food and it also eases any tension.....for you or the parent. Keep Smiling!
Karinazeta is offline   Reply With Quote