Board game theme - ProTeacher Community

connorsmom020

Board game theme
Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HELP!! I am in need of ideas for my board game theme. Especially names for jobs/helpers. I plan on having homeworkopoly. My word wall will be the SCRABBLE wall. For my reading center I'm thinking about creating a large twister board out of a carpet scrap I have, unless someone else has a better idea. I have a blanket size checker board for decoration. My classroom moneywill be Monopoly money

Has anyone done this before or does anyone have ideas to make this work better? It is for a 3rd grade class in KS.

Thanks

connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

Sorry!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe you could somehow use the game "Sorry!" for behavior. From what I remember of the game you don't want to land on/draw the card that says "Sorry", so that could be the final step in the discipline plan. The jobs/helpers could be like a wheel on "Wheel of Fortune". The "wheel" could have the names of the jobs, or the names of students, and the title for the board could be made to look like the letters that Vanna turns. (green background, white rectangle squares w/black capital letters)
AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the Sorry! idea that sounds great. I'm working on it right now.

Also, I forgot to mention that my dad made me a generic "wheel" of fortune to use for all kinds of stuff. I really like the job idea.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

jdonick

A list of board games
Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just started a list of board games:

One of these could be for your behavior system if you were going to use one.... maybe battleship (ceratin number of hits on the ship) or the game of Life?

Aggravation - quiet space, if a student is feeling frustrated?

Risk - an area for "challenge" activities/anchor activities for when students are finished?

Guess Who - if you do mystery readers? this one would be good!

Mastermind - if you have a bulletin board with honoring great samples of school work?

Trivial Pursuit - Question of the Day?

Pictionary - an area of class pictures? of the students or ones they made?

Candy Land -?
Spy Alley - ?
Backgammon - ?
Battleship - ?
The Game of Life - ?
Shoots and Ladders - ?

Okay, this is all I could think of for right now... Good luck!
jdonick is offline   Reply With Quote

Michele10

Old 07-02-2007, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you checked the archives? Just put in game theme and there are some really cute ones. I did this theme a few years back and my students loved it. I got all of my ideas from this site.

Michele10 is offline   Reply With Quote

txmispriss

Games
Old 07-08-2007, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did a very basic game theme this year with my kids. I did have he twister board that i used for my behavior chart. Each student had a colored circle and when they got their clip moved then i would move it accordingly on our campus behavior system chart. I also had my math board set up with the Math Is More Fun Than A Barrel of Monkeys and had monkey boarder and little monkeys from the game around it. I used the homeworkopoly as one of my games as well. Scrabble for the word wall is a great one as well. Clue was used in my science area with a mystery dog bulletin board set. My 5th graders had fun the first day of school trying to identify the different games.
txmispriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Shona

Shona

I've done it before and doing it again
Old 08-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

HI-

I did a board game theme last year in my classroom. Here are a few things that I did:

1. name plates on desks- scrabble holders and tiles (I spelled their name out with scrabble tiles and printed a tile tray holder. Then I was able to have them practice different math skills by telling them to get on line by whose name added up to different amounts)

2. Guess Who- My introduction for the year was Guess Who is in Ms. Holmes' Class. I made a large guess who board out of poster board, I then took the kids pictures on the first day and placed it up there as well.

3. Game of Life- My student teacher made a job chart that had to do with the Game of Life. She just used regular poster board with pockets that had the job names on it. However, all the kids names were on cars and it said doing our job in the game of life or something like that.

4. Sorry- My classroom behavior management was the game of sorry. The pawn started on the start section and every time they got a compliment from another person we moved the game piece up. After 10 compliments, they reached home and were rewarded with a fun friday activity.

5. Nintendo Gameboys- my labels for their coat and bookbag hooks were Nintendo gameboys. I printed a picture off line and wrote their names on the screens.

I also had Homeworkopoly and I can't remember anything else at the moment but I go back next week and will write you if there is anything else.