one more wizard of oz BB help! - ProTeacher Community

snowpoppy2

one more wizard of oz BB help!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok so I've pretty much set out everything for my Wizard of Oz theme for this year.

Reading Area: Scarecrow and "Reading-What a Brainy Idea!"
Jobs: Tinman and "Hearty Helpers"
Good Work BB: Toto and "Doggone Good Work!"
Happenings BB: Glinda and "Here's What's Popping Up" with decorative poppies behind all the information. Also 2 munchkins and "Munch on Lunch"
Reading Log Track: Oz and the Emerald City-"We're Off to See...Good Reading (or We're Off to See...Wizards of Reading!)!"
Door: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow...We'll Make it to 100 Days of School!" with yellow bricks for each day of school.
Rules: Lion and "Be Courageous and Follow Our Rules!"
Hallway BB: Dorothy, Tinman, Lion, Scarecrow and "There's No Place Like 3rd Grade"

ok...I need some help...the kids track their Reading Progress on the board with Oz and Emerald City. I don't know what sort of item I should put each individual name on???

AND...We use the hallways BB to put our class names on...so I have the yellow brick road and the 4 characters and I thought about ruby slippers for their names, but then I thought boys wouldn't go for this. Maybe I could do that for the girls...but do any of you have ideas for the boys???

on last thing...Sorry! Any other ideas for the titles I have above? I found some on the archives right here so thanks!

snowpoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mammaw4

horses???
Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about tracking their progress with horses of different colors!?! That is a famous line from the show and could be easy to make...

Could the boys names for your hall board be on black shoe prints? They wouldn't be on slippers, but would still follow the yellow brick road.
mammaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

jennystab

Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could use boy and girl munchkin figures, hot air balloons, or a toto with a blue collar for boys and a pink collar for girls. I like the horse of a different color idea because you could print out a blank horse shape and let the students color their horse on the first day of school and then laminate them for use on your board.
jennystab is offline   Reply With Quote

laurathy

oz room
Old 07-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've done a Wizard of Oz theme in my room for the past two years. The kids love it! Many of my bulletin boards have very similar titles to the ones you posted (love those archives). I used fabric for each board that coordinates with the character (gingham for Dorothy, silver for tinman, etc.) I also love the idea of the horse of a different color that someone mentioned. I think I might have to use that.

I am not sure if this would work for your hallway BB, but I had "Follow the Yellow Brick Road to Room 5" on my door. I printed photos of each of the kids and had them walking down the road.

Some other ways I have incorporated Oz in my room (in case you are looking for more ideas):
-My schedule pocket chart has a heading of "That's how we'll spend our day today in the merry old land of Oz."
-I have a stuffed dog that looks like Toto for our class mascot. My class last year loved him! Indoor recess was regularly devoted to making construction paper clothes for him and playing with him.
-Next year I am going to finally do a Flat Stanley project (have been meaning to for awhile now). I'm planning on making a board with a map that says "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
-My behavior chart is a rainbow.

Good luck with your Oz room. Have fun!
laurathy is offline   Reply With Quote

snowpoppy2

laurathy
Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the other tips! If you happen to have any pictures of your room I'd love to see them so I know I'm on the right track. AND...do you send out a classroom newsletter? I do and I'm trying to think of a catchy title for it that goes with my theme. Any ideas?

snowpoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Blueyes

Wizard of Oz
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Since I live in Kansas, I'd like to do a board called There's No Place Like...Third Grade. Does anyone know where I can purchase bulletin board size posters or materials of the Wizard of Oz?
Blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote

laurathy

posting pictures
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have tried everything I could think of to post pics of my classroom, and I found that I can't attach pics until I have at least 25 posts.
As for my newsletter I call it "The Emerald City Gazette" with a section called "Oz Occurrences" that talks about what is happening in our classroom that week.
To JaniceRZ-I haven't found any Oz bb sets. I use pictures cut out from old calendars. I have also printed out coloring pages of certain characters and used those.http://thewizardofoz.warnerbros.com/cmp/color.htm I also try and find borders that go with the bb-sparkly red, blue gingham, rainbows, etc.

There is a cute Wizard of Oz alphabet out there. You can click on each individual letter to get it pretty big. I'm using it for my word wall.http://www.merchantofoz.com/Wizard_o...rines_s/75.htm
laurathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Froggy

Wizard of Oz ideas...
Old 07-22-2007, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A couple of things I did in when I taught 6th grade English and had this theme...

1. cut up sponges and glued to my wall - an easy yellow brick road

2. hung a dark green shower curtain with a stool to sit on labeled WIZARD in big letters - remember...don't look behind the curtain - kids loved to sit and read there

3. a bout all colors in the rainbow of netting and hung them across the ceiling - later I bought colored rope lights and hung accordingly

THEY LOVED IT WHEN WE TURNED THE LIGHTS OFF!
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote