First Day books for 4th Grade - ProTeacher Community

Gopher4

Gopher4

First Day books for 4th Grade
Old 07-04-2007, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I used to teach 1st and there were a number of books about the first day of school, but I have yet to run across one that deals with the beginning of the year in older grades. Anyone know of any books like this?

Mariely

Books
Old 07-04-2007, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, I don't know how grade specific these are but I usually start the beginning of the school year with these books. I teach fourth grade students and I like these books because of their content and the type of writing activities I can do with the students.

Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco (Picture Book)

I have my students use a Learning Log as we are reading the story and I also act out the introduction page of the book when the grandfather is drizzling honey on the cover of a book. I give each child a graham cracker and then I drizzle honey over it. This represents the sweetness of knowledge, and just like you have to chase the bee that made the honey, you have to chase knowledge through the pages of a book.

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes (Picture Book)

This is a great book to use at the beginning of the year when students are getting to know each other. I usually follow-up this story with a writing assignment in which students have to write about their names, its meaning, and why it is special.

Judy Moody by Megan McDonald (Chapter Book)

The first book in this series is full of humorous events, as Judy gets ready for the beginning of third grade. Students of all ages love to hear this book and learn more about Judy Moody's Very Bad Mood as she starts the school year. I use it as a read aloud.

First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg (Picture Book)

This is yet another book I use as a read-aloud and then follow it up with a journal entry where students can share their feelings about their first day of school.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Learning Log - Thank You Mr. Falker.doc (93.5 KB, 487 views)
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

blackcat

first day jitters in fifth grade
Old 07-04-2007, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I liked your suggestions for books. I have been teaching first grade for 10 years and was just placed in fifth grade. I am a bit nervous about the first couple of weeks. Any suggestions about making this change easier would be very welcomed. Thanks
blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Blackcat
Old 07-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm glad you liked the book suggestions. Wow! What a change for you after 10 years teaching first grade! Well, I think you are going to love fifth grade. I've taught fifth grade in the past when I was a Teacher of the Gifted. I had a lot of fun with them. They are more independent and enjoy having great educational discussions.

As far as suggestions for the first couple of weeks, just be creative! I love enganging students in creative activities especially getting to know you activities during the first week. I feel that everything else should be fine for you since you have been teaching for 10 years, the only thing that changes is the content you will deliver, the age group of your students, and their maturity level. If I think of anything else, I will let you know. Take care and hopefully other members can also give you more ideas. You can try and post your comment on the fifth grade board. Just a suggestion!
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

blackcat

Old 07-04-2007, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the encouragement. Will try the fifth grade board.

blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote

leonsicecream

Beginning of the year reading
Old 07-07-2007, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like to read
One Hundred Dresses-short chapter book
The Kid in the Red Jacket-read aloud chapter book
Chrysanthemum - picture book
I also love Miss Nelson's Missing. We do it as a Readers Theater as well. I really am Mrs. Nelson and the kids get quite a kick out of it!
leonsicecream is offline   Reply With Quote

cowboysrule

Book idea
Old 07-08-2007, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hooray for Diffendooffer Day! By Dr. Seuss is a funny read aloud that my kids have enjoyed for years on the first day of school.
cowboysrule is offline   Reply With Quote