Star Student - ProTeacher Community

azfarkas

Star Student
Old 07-05-2007, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you handle/organize this? I would like to make a BB for it and rotate students each week but I can't find a set that I like.

Thanks for any input!

azfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

star student
Old 07-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I call mine the King/Queen of the Jungle to go along with my jungle theme. Because of that, I had to create my own forms for the child to fill out. Before I used that, I bought the ones from Scholastic that looked like newspapers. I just put it on a small bulletin board (like the kind in a child's bedroom) and it hung in my classroom library. I had cut-outs of stars to go along the border of the BB. The child reads his/her form on the Monday morning of "their week". I also place a stuffed lion (I put a crown on it when it's a girl) on their desk for the week.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teach72beach

star student
Old 07-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read on one of these boards recently about a teacher that uses an alternate form of star student and I plan to use her idea. She has the BB set "All about Me" from Carsondellosa.com. At the beginning of the year the kids fill out a premade form with fill in the blanks about themselves. Each week the teacher changes the responses to All about Me to for example Sally's responses. The kids try to guess who it is talking about! Then you can (or Sally can) reveal who it is talking about.
teach72beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Carol B.

Carol B.

Star Student
Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We interview the star. They can't ask yes/no questions. Early in the year I get a lot of "what is your favorite..." questions, but as the year goes on the questions change (what do you wnat to be when you grow up...). I write these up on our star student board then type them in and print out each child's question on a page: (Nick's favorite animal is a leopard. By
Anna). Then each kid illustrates their own page and the star student colors in the bubble letters for the cover. The books are put in our class library and they are always the most popular!

2ndGradeDeb

Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had an "All About Me" board in my first grade class and now second grade. I bought the BB set. I change it weekly. The week before the student is on the board, I send home a letter with questions that students answer on small index cards. They write the following: Their favorite color, TV show, book, what they want to be when they grow up, their pet/pet they want, and why they are special. They can decorate the cards however they want. I ask them in the letter to bring a picture of themself, a family picture, and a picture of pets. They also are asked to bring in their favorite book. I tape their cards and pictures on the board. I keep their book on the ledge under the board. On Monday, I introduce the student of the week using the board. The student stands at the board and reads the answers. On Tuesday, their favorite book is either read by them or me. On Wednesday, we interview the student. On Thursday, I cut 8x11 sheets of construction paper in half. I use the student's favorite color. The class writes one sentence about what they like about the student and they illustrate it. (Of course I proofread the pages.) Then I make a book for the student. I illustrate the cover. On Friday, the student of the week is given their book, a bookmark and we sing a "you are special" song. I tell the class to remind me each day if I forget to do anything. I usually remember though. Students love their books and can not wait to be on the board! I choose students who are new or who need a self-esteem boost first. Everyone gets a turn.

2ndGradeDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

clkelley

star student
Old 07-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I bought the Star pocket chart. It has two large pockets that holds two pages with the student info and favorites. Then it has 3 or 4 pocket chart lines for photos. I send out the dittoes a week ahead and ask for photos which are then returned unharmed. On Monday the student goes over his paper orally and shows the pictures. The star student does all the jobs that week and is line leader.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Star of the week schedule
Old 07-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have never used a student of the week. But, this year I think I've been inspired. Check out the website below. Ms. Newingham has a great schedule for what happens for each star during the week. I haven't looked at her site recently, but I think she also indicates somewhere on her website (she has a section for teachers) how she schedules the rotation of students.

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote