Again, an entire week with no planning period - ProTeacher Community

Blackcat1117

Again, an entire week with no planning period
Old 03-28-2013, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have our state testing next week and have been told there will be no planning period for teachers. Students will not have P.E. class next week either. Why? We need all the people we can get to cover testing classes ect... so there is no room for planning periods and P.E. classes. Of course, this is in violation of state law regarding teacher planning periods AND required physical education minutes per week students must have.

Why, why, why do schools feel it is okay to violate this mandate? Don't they see the link between good teaching/lessons and our planning periods? The last time we did this (Feb.) the teachers were so stressed out and the students were climbing the walls! The following week admin decided to do walk-through evaluations! Give me a break! I had to come up on the weekend just to catch up on the planning/prep time I missed all week.

There is no one in our state who checks up on schools to make sure teacher planning time is protected, but you can bet teachers always have to watch their p's and q's.

Now, everytime we have benchmarks or state testing we can be sure that we will also miss out on a week's worth of planning. It is also exhausting to be with the students non-stop.

Texas is a non-union state. If a teacher complains, he/she is seen as a problem and not a team player. Also, there could be retaliation as there is no real protection here.

Blackcat1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Top Cat

Same here
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We aren't a testing grade, but we lost our prep time too. I still have plans to make, copies to run and plan for an extra 45 minutes each day that I don't normally teach. I feel stressed and I'm not even testing my kids!
Top Cat is online now   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Lack of Planning Time
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hear ya! No state mandates that I know of for us. As a matter of fact, our governor appointed an Emerg. Financial Manager and he mandated a contract that only has two preps per week for elementary teachers. (MS and HS teachers are allocated more, but then our MS teachers sometimes have none at all cuz we simply don't have the personnel for them to be 'covered.') And then, I spend lunch and those preps doing Dibels and Burst. Well, when I have them. Our prep is computers and 6 out of our last 7 computer classes were cancelled cuz the computer teacher had to do testing with the kids. Today, I thought I would finally get that prep (which I would've used to do Dibels) but the computer teacher had to sub for an absent teacher. Then, we're in trouble for not 'keeping up' on our progress monitoring and such. Oh yeah, the EFM also mandated that lost preps didn't have to be made up. You can imagine how burned out I am.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That stinks that there is no real protection for that, and no way to guarantee what you're guaranteed. Something is wrong with that picture.

I've never taught in a school that gave me prep periods- all prep had to be done before or after school. Heck, I've never taught in a school that had specials teachers (I taught my own specials, except one year we had a music teacher, but I had another class to teach while my kids were at music). I get really frustrated at the huge inequality across states and districts with regards to what the job of teaching looks like (and the pay!).
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

teach & learn

wow
Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I covered the classes myself so that students got a break and teachers got prep during state testing and so that it didn't impact changing the schedules of non-testing grades. Fortunately, I work in a small school that allows this, but it was exhausting and didn't come easy on my end. I am glad it is just about over, just a few make-ups that I will do so we can resume our normal schedules!!

teach & learn is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

I have that to look forward to in 2 weeks.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have the same policy during our testing week. No recess, no lunch break, no ancillary period. We have kids non-stop during the entire week of testing. It is exhausting.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Prince Sofa

Prince Sofa

An idea
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can you partner with another teacher? He/she can take the both classes of kids outside for some fresh air and exercise, even if it's just a walk, for 45 minutes. You can use that time to plan. Then you can take both classes and show an educational video for 45 min. to give the other teacher a planning time. Or you could alternate days.

AD

Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That is awful. You all need to get together and make some noise about that. It's the only way to make any changes. Maybe someone needs to anonymously call the newspaper or TV station about the kids not having any physical exercise and how important that is. You said Texas? I'm glad I don't teach there...this is when I'm thankful for a strong union.

Our district would not even dream of not following a mandate because our union would be all up in their business!

I agree-share classes with another teacher and get those kids outside. That way you have your planning time/break as well.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

Blackcat
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Are you sure you can't call your organization (TSTA, UEA, ATPE, etc.) and complain? TSTA calls the district who calls the school principal. The principal/district never knows who made the complaint. Several principals tried to do this several years ago and there were several complaints throughout the district. The district makes the principals follow the laws. If it is happening also in another school in your district, you can make some noise.
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We pair up with a fellow teacher and give each other time. She might take both classes in her room for a short movie and I would take them all outside for free play/PE...
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

same here
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Not a testing grade but no prep and extra time to plan for. We probably wont be able to go outside with our kids either because p doesn't want any noise in the halls or outside. But the older grades that are testing will get prep time (even though they won't be writing plans due to testing) because we willbe back on schedule by the time we get to their prep time. Talk about friction among the troops!!! I understand testing is difficult I have taught in testing grades for many years. But the same respect should be given. During our Literacy testing we are constantly interrupted with the intercom. Sorry went off on my own vent.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Testing grade
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am not a testing grade, but I hate test week. We get the morning plans and the testing grades get the afternoon plans. This is the opposite of our normal schedule. It is very difficult when first graders are off of their schedule.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherina

Teacher Right's/grievance
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I know that not all states have some form of teacher's group who make sure the contract is followed, so is there any recourse for you? I also feel for the students who need breaks. We are also suppose to have a 30 min. duty free lunch, although this isn't followed the best. This is so wrong!
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote

Blackcat1117

I made noise last year to no avail
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I emailed the principal and central office last year about our conference periods being taken and got no feedback. I let them know that I knew the law and quoted what it said. I feel if I get a teacher group in on this they will know who set the dogs on them and will retaliate. Our superintendent knows this is happening and isn't worried about it. She is probably the one who said this is the way we will do it from now on.

We cannot decide as a grade level to create our own planning time as we have to get permission for this and it won't happen.

Also, my students will be testing in 3 weeks and I am being pulled for two days this week to give another grade level's test. That means my students will have a sub for two days! I have a specific set of plans I created to get through before our test and now this throws me off my timeline, because the sub cannot do this. Yuck!

EarthMonkey

Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Contact the state association, all states have one whether it is a work to rule state or not, and find out what they would advise. You also might contact the county or district board and complain as an anonymous concerned citizen or parent about the arbitrary lack of PE for the children. Get friends and aquaintances to do the same-the more squeaky wheels the more it will get results. Have them express their parental or community frustration with the value of tests being put above the health of the children.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

OMG...cannot imagine
Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I get 30 minutes 3 days per week and 60 2 days per week. I thought that wasn't very much! The grades above me (5th and 6th) gets the last hour off everyday due to band time and 3 days per week they also have a 30 minute prep period thrown in on top of that. That has caused some issues between grade levels (4th grade not thinking that is fair).

I feel sorry for you people with no planning time. I would get completely burnt out!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

HomeofLove

Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
We aren't a testing grade, but we lost our prep time too. I still have plans to make, copies to run and plan for an extra 45 minutes each day that I don't normally teach. I feel stressed and I'm not even testing my kids!
While I would definitely be peeved in your situation, couldn't you "relax" and "extend" the other times to cover that 45-minute block you lose? Like, maybe extend Math another 15 minutes, incorporate a neat Science activity that takes up 15 minutes, and have the kids read silently for 15 minutes.........something like that? As much as I see teachers stressing because they only have X minutes to teach Y subject, this could be a blessing in some ways! Of course, you may already have ample time to teach what you need to teach... If that's the case, could the 45-minute block be a time of silent reading rotated with a computer activity, so that you don't really have to PLAN for that time?
HomeofLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Blackcat1117

I teach 6th grade and we departmentalized
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am stuck with the schedule I have. We are expected to teach the entire time. While students are reading, I am NOT to be sitting at my computer, creating lesson plans, grading papers ect... or I will not get a good evaluation. Our test is in 3 weeks and we are expected to keep the rigor up.