Classroom Jobs - ProTeacher Community

Mrs. R :)

Classroom Jobs
Old 07-06-2007, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade and have gotten away from Classroom Jobs... they alwasy seem to be the "thing" I can least remember to do... change the job, explain the job, train the kids to do the job, so mostly my Star Student is the general helper for the week... paper passer, line leader, tidy-up person.... but recently I was thinking about reintroducing a few special jobs like Class Libraian. What are some the jobs in your classroom thatyou feel are the best for the kids in helping to take ownership in your community of learners?

Mrs. R :) is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

jobs
Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've always just had three jobs: 1. Errand Person-they do all the errands to the office, other rooms, etc. 2. Supply Person- they help with passing out/picking up any supplies 3. Clean-up Person- they help by going around with the trash can after projects, straightening books, etc.
I change the names on the jobs weekly. I have their names on clothespins and move the pins each week from job to job.
AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

teach72beach

jobs
Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My classroom jobs are:
1 line leader
1 apples person (behavior chart)
2 table washers (lunch)
2 floors (lunch)
2 special helpers which pass out papers, run errands...anything I need, 1 boy bathroom monitor
1 girl bathroom monitor
*when I taught 1st I didnt do bathroom monitors and also had a caboose but third graders think it's lame

I also have a few jobs associated with centers. They are:
2 computer monitors (deals with an computer issues during centers)
1 librarian (straightens the library after centers)
1 materials manager (straightens all center materials that may have been put away too hastily)
1 peacekeeper (helps mediate when a disagreement arises between children)
I have center jobs so that I am not interrupted unless there is an emergency during my small groups.
teach72beach is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In order to remember to change jobs, I do it monday when we're getting lined up for resource. I have a baggie of children who are waiting to get jobs and a baggie for children who just had jobs. I rotate through until everyone's had a chance then let them try again.

My jobs are:

Line leader
caboose
2 table washers (a school requirement for lunch)
my personal assistant (passes papers, takes notes to teachers etc)
attendance (takes it to office after announcements)
lunch count (takes the paper to cafeteria)

I spend the first 2-3 weeks explaining the jobs so everyone gets the "training" and I remind them that if they can't do their job properly (for example if the line leader is walking down the hall talking and spinning in circles) that I will have to fire them until they can show me they are responsible. There's always someone waiting to take over. Also, if anyone is absent I let my personal assistant do their job for the day. Everyone gets a job every 3 weeks.
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Classroom Jobs
Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am moving from second to first this year and have been thinking a lot about classroom jobs. In the past I have always had one job for every child to ensure everyone has a chance to do each job. I am re-thinking this though, and I think I am going to have 10-15 jobs (some jobs need two people), but put some "vacation" spots on my chart. Then I won't have to "track" their jobs.

Anyway, here are some jobs I am thinking of having:
Lunch count: (2 people) counts lunches
Attendance: makes sure everyone signs in (I am thinking of doing a pocket chart for this)
Messenger/Teacher helper: haven't decided what to call this
Librarian: straightens the library at the end of the day
Line Leader: leads the line
Caboose: turns off lights, closes the door
Inspector: this person dismisses kids to line up
Calendar: helps me do calendar
Scheduler: writes the date, number of the day and changes the specials on the schedule (might have calendar do it all?)
Math helper: gets out the math blocks

NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

javagirl

One helper per day...
Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm horrible about keeping up with classroom jobs so last year I tried this and it is working GREAT for me and the students liked it too.

My only classroom job is Teacher's Helper. The Teacher's Helper changes every day. The TH keeps a special monkey on his desk so I can see/remember who it is fast! That student helps me and our class with everything that day...flag salute, calendar, line leader, attendance, messenger, library/computer monitor, ball tubs, passing paper, whatever we need to run our class for the day...If the job requires two people the TH picks someone to help out. At the end of the day, the TH passes the monkey to the next person (each student has a number) so we are ready for the next day. They never forget, and it's one more thing I don't have to remember .
javagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher07

I teach 4th
Old 07-06-2007, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

but a the general idea of the jobs are the same. If you look here, you'll see my list and a description

http://www.msstarbuck.com/Classroom/Jungle%20Jobs.html
AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

4mteach

Student teacher of the week
Old 07-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am brand new to the board and love reading about other classrooms. In my classroom I have one "student teacher" of the week. As a class, we go over what types of jobs should this student be responsible for and add to our list over the first week or two. I then have each student practice this "position" for one day and then we move to a full week. The student teacher picks helpers when the task demands more than one student. My students loved this and I just rotated through the class list. I hated keeping track of jobs and which student did what and how long ago!
4mteach is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

jobs
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

check out Beth Newingham's site. She has her jobs listed and their descriptions. She also ties this in to her classroom economy and I used her ideas last year and will continue to use her ideas.

TeachtoScrap

My jobs
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I change on FRI afternoon as the kids are getting ready to go home. They are on magnets on my board and move very easy. Here are my jobs. I tried to relate them back to every day life. OBTW, I teach 3rd.

Chef- lunch count

Navigator- moves the apple on the Where are We sign? outside

Sanitation Commissioner- goes around the room at the end of the day for clean-up reminders.

Admin Assistant- my errand runner, paper person, etc...

Technician- doors, lights, overhead, etc...

Librarian

Line Leader- couldn't think of anything fun for that one! Any ideas????

Sheriff- hall monitor(sp?)

I think that is it, but I have been out since April w/ baby so I may have missed one. I had a hard time with organinzing my jobs 2 years ago when I first moved to my new school (too many other things to learn!). This past year I got them started again and loved having the extra help and the kids love it it too!!!
TeachtoScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

I have 2 helpers each day
Old 07-07-2007, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I call them my 'star helpers' or 'handy helpers'. I have 1 girl and 1 boy helper. They are my leaders for the day. I teach kindergarten, and I don't like sending any of my students out the door by themselves, so this way everyone has a partner. All I do is flip over each set of cards that I have hanging by my door. The class loves seeing who will be the helpers. I find it very easy, fits in with the flow of the day. In less than 2 weeks, we can go through the whole class.
Jeanne
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheresa

Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have two helpers a day... one boy and one girl. I changed my theme this year to camping so I need a good title for those helpers. My kids look forward to being the speical helper of the day.

I like the idea of having a special stuffed animal on their desk.'
Cheresa is offline   Reply With Quote

TLL1

Classroom jobs
Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I had the same problem two years ago with trying to keep up with jobs. I had a job for every student! Some jobs required 2 people (librarians and table washers). We had jobs ranging from line leader to germ buster! This past year I changed jobs every 2 weeks and that made it so much easier to keep up with! I think I will probably do the same thing this year.
TLL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Zackattack

Zackattack

Mr. Zackattack
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Well i'm not a teacher. I'm only 11 years old. But my older sister is a kindergarten parapro. So I know all about school.

Let me suggest some classroom jobs:
Line Leader (Leads the Line)
Door Holder (Holds the door for the class)
Calender (Writes the date on the calender)
Runner (Runs errands and passes out supplies)
Lunch Count (Takes the lunch count to the cafeteria)
Attendance (Takes attendance in the morning)
Whiteboard (Cleans the whiteboard in the afternoon)

Good Luck!

smileyteacher

Camp Helpers
Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Cheresa,
Park Rangers or Busy Beavers would be cute.
smileyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KLoughrig

Camp theme
Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

How about Camp Counselors?

I was so excited to see the idea for a designated teacher's helper each day. As a first year teacher, the thought of keeping track of one more "thing" was about to send me over the edge! I also think it provides a great way of making each child feel truly special. Thanks!
KLoughrig is offline   Reply With Quote