How will Obama Care Affect Subs? - ProTeacher Community

NJSubteacher

How will Obama Care Affect Subs?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm surprised no one has been talking about this yet. I read on the actual AESOP site (home-screen) that IF you work an avg of 35 hrs per week or more subbing, the school districts will be required to deduct health insurance costs from your paycheck starting next January (in other words required to give us insurance) If you work less than 35 hrs per week which applies to most of us, I have no idea what will happen. As subs, we cant afford to buy our own health insurance even if it becomes mandatory to have. I know some states including NY and NJ will be expanding Medicaid. However, I dont know if one can qualify if your spouse makes more money. Also, what about subs and all low income workers in states that are NOT expanding medicaid???

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

OGSubbie

OGSubbie

Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How would we qualify? You'd have to work every day to get 35 hours as a teacher. School is only seven hours. Around here anyway. From 8:10-2:55 here. They'd probably take away your lunch time. If they did, guess what? Not 35 hours, not their problem. So, assuming you did qualify for those weeks and you get every day, what about summer, weeks that have a half day, vacations, and weeks with less than five days? You'd still be uncovered most of the time anyway.

subczy

interesting
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really hadn't thought about us and Obama care. I am covered with my dh. Some weeks I work a lot of hours....7:40 to 3:40( not that anyone stays that late subbing) perhaps they will total our hours and avg them over a year?
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

From my interpretation, it seems that if you work the same amount of hours as a full time aid or class asst. THIS school year on an average basis in one particular school district, they will start deducting health insurance money from your paycheck starting Jan 2014. If your avg working hours this year falls under 35, you will most likely be eligible for Medicaid IF your state decides to expand Medicaid coverage for the working poor.

NJSubteacher

Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't be surprised if the school districts we are working for will soon be sending out questionnaires asking if we're already covered and whether we are eligible or not. They may wait til the Fall before sending us any notifications. IF you are eligible, then you can't get Medicaid. I'd rather get the free Medicaid coverage, rather than having even more money taken out of my check. If they take any more out of my check, I minus well not even work. I personally work in more than one district, so I know I avg no more than 25 hrs on a given week that school is in session in any given district.

broomrider

Our days
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

are six hours, so we'd have to work 6 days a week to be eligible. My district won't have to do any bookkeeping at all.

I'm wondering how the requirement to have insurance or pay a penalty...er...tax will effect sub's salaries.

I'm also concerned about what will happen to my medicare. Dang right it's an entitlement. I've taught for close to 40 years to earn it.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is why I have the second job, to pay for health insurance.

I'm also applying for jobs that represent, for me, an over 60% pay loss.

So tell me again Mr. Obama how the economy is growing.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

babush

Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

IMO the economy is not growing, numbers are skewed.

Only "the rich" are building the economy and when they stop hiring us, we will all be in trouble as the administration is only spending our money partying like royals (oh I am sorry, they ARE royals).

I wish I had money for every time someone said to me during a job interview, "I don't want to hire you, you have too much education" when I was desperate for ANY job.

Sure would have liked to use my shovel on one of those "shovel ready" jobs, oops sorry, another "promise." No delivery.
babush is offline   Reply With Quote
OGSubbie

OGSubbie

Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wonder if people interviewing have an excuse book with an index for all occasions. It seems when I interview, I am not hired because I don't have experience (never been a perm teacher). Yet, when I read the job search threads I heard of jobs going to fresh out of college teachers and the OP was RIFed or something like that has teaching experience and advanced education. My whole point is, there's always an excuse if there was a better candidate or someone with an in.

MikeRocode

I predict..
Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

How will Obama Care Affect Subs?

...Adversely, I predict

--Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

Mazzythesub

Full Time
Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Is defined as 30hrs/week under " Obamacare", from what I understand. I heard many districts are going to limit hours....I also read of a few districts who will be outsourcing sub services.
Mazzythesub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You're right, it is 30 hrs per week, not 35. Still, you would have to work 5 full days per week in one particular district in order to qualify. I don't think school districts would even mind IF you qualify because the money would still be deducted from OUR paychecks to pay for it. Therefore, I don't see hours being cut, just a lot of subs who will learn that working too much will actually hurt them more in the end. I'm making sure I don't go over 4.5 days per week in any school district for the rest of this year so I can qualify for free medicaid next year.

subczy

aesop
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Aesop has information on how dist can track subs hours they released in a statement on their website so it looks like subs are included.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote