Help

ARCHIVE

Calendar activities

>

CL

Calendar activities
Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving to first grade this year and I'm wondering what types of calendar activities everyone does with their students.
I'd like to have a morning meeting/calendar routine that I do every morning. Any ideas?? Thanks

CL is offline   Reply With Quote

CAT

Me too
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I too am moving to first grade and have searced out this subject. You have got to visit www.mrsmcdowell.com Awesome!!! She has soooo many ideas and links. However, after drifting through many of her links, I have found her site to be the best and keep going back. You'll love it.
CAT is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 07-06-2007, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school asks us to use the "every day counts" series for the actual calendar part. It incorporates the calendar, patterns, money, time, place value, addition/subtraction concepts, counting by 2,5 and 10, tallies, graphing and many other things. I don't do calendar the exact same way every day. I change up the questions occasionally to keep things interesting. I don't think anyone at my school follows the series word for word but I do like a lot of the components and I like that it's all right there in the box for me to set up. I am thinking of incorporating morning meeting this year and have been reading the Morning Meeting Book to help me figure out how I'm going to accomplish that.
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Calendar
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

CAT, thanks for the awesome website. I too am moving to first this year and need to come up with some morning meetings ideas. The website will be a great resource. And thanks, CL, for asking the question!
NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

edugator125

Good calendar ideas....
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lots of folks have posted about www.jmeacham.com, and I have found it to be really helpful. I'm looking forward to doing the calendar puzzle and the calendar file folder that she mentions!

edugator125 is offline   Reply With Quote

jerzgirl

Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One of my children's favorite calendar activities is riddle of the day. On the back of the calendar pieces I have written riddles with the answers upside down. In September I use trivia instead-things like what state do we live in, who is our nurse, how many are in a dozen, etc. In Oct. I start the riddles. For awhile I am the only one laughing, but it becomes a great vocab. developer and what they start to "get it" it's amazing! One child is picked to tell the janitor in the lunchroom the daily riddle. He gets a kick out of it.
jerzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Bash1626

riddles
Old 07-07-2007, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love your idea about the riddles... Can you share some more? I would love to do it.
Thanks
Bash1626 is offline   Reply With Quote

jerzgirl

Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sure, glad you like the idea. We also have a "piggy bank" on my Math Board. During "calendar time" the director of the day (my job person for the day) also has to add a penny to the bank, towards the hundred day countdown. We count the money in the bank every day. I have enlarged pics of pennies and dimes. When we get ten pennies-the pig has ten pieces of velcro- the director has to talk the class through trading the pennies in for a dime. ( I do this myself in Sept.) When counting, we clap after counting the dimes and pennies to make them aware of the switch-counting. The Director also points to four-five Math vocabulary words and the class has to read them orally. One more activity- we have a weekly poem that the director points to the words and the kids read orally. He/she may also call on children to identify rhyming words, blends, whatever element we are working on. I don't spend more than 10-12 minutes on this time, and keep it moving.
We also sing a song after the pledge-usually patriotic, but sometimes seasonal. I have the patriotic songs listed on chart paper to tie in with reading. For Yankee Doodle, they are allowed to change the rhyme to any two words they know that rhyme, but they must have determined them ahead of time, otherwise they waste time thinking about it. For example:
Yankee Doodle went to town,
Riding on a frog...
Stuck a feather in his hat and thought it was a log.
The real author would probably cringe at this, but kids love it!)

Patriotic Songs
Yankee Doodle
My Country Tis of Thee
You're a Grand Old Flag
This Land is Your Land
This is My Country
Hope this is helpful.
jerzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

dhook

Cal Time
Old 07-09-2007, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I model my calendar time for the first week. During this week I tell them next week each day one of them will be chosen to conduct cal time. I have a wand they use to point to the days and they will begin by the ol traditional, today is the fourth of aug 2007. Pointing to each item. They then do yesterday was and tomorrow will be. I then tell the class to get their questions ready. I call upon three students and they are then allowed to ask our cal person " What is the third tuesday?" or "what does the 25th fall on?". The cal person of the day then turns to our vocabulary words of the week and reads them. If they get everything right (of course some will need a little help) they get a star by their name. Later on in the school year I also hold up a clock and give them a time question, of course I always ask the class should I give the cal person a hard or ez time and of course they all yell hard. I have found it teaches ordinal numbers fast and really gets their interest in telling time. Best thing is it only takes about 10 minutes :-) and you can just see their intent interest.
dhook is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

calendar/morning meeting activities
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I do a lot of the same things as the other posters, such as the piggy bank, tallies, and weather. But, I also do some other things. One is that I do a running pattern of the days we've been in school with the shapes that we are required to learn for 1st grade. It teaches, not only counting, but patterns AND the shapes. I also do an activity with my 100 number chart later in the year. My "Handy Helper" for the day writes a secret number on a small Post -it note. Then he/she calls on someone to guess a number. They say the number and I ask "Handy" if the number said is greater than or less than his/her number. I have two laminated circles ready and depending on if the number is greater or lesser than what the other student says we put a circle on the board over that number. Then he/she calls on someone else and we eventually narrow the secret number down. Does that make sense? I hope so. However, my students favorite thing is our BRAIN POP. I buy balloons and write a fact, fold it up, put it in the balloon, blow it up and attach it to my meeting area board. "Handy Helper" gets someone to give him/her a number from 1-10 and we count to that number and I POP the balloon with an unfolded paper clip. Sometimes we count backwards, sometimes in Spanish or Japanese. Then we read the fact, they always start with "DID YOU KNOW THAT..." The students LOVE this part of our morning meeting! I also do a mystery box. It goes home with a different student each night. They put an item in it and I have a little booklet in there and they write 3 clues on it. Then the class listens to clue # 1 and tries to guess what's in the box, then clue # 2 and so on. I don't start the year with all these activities but by January/February they are incorporated into our meeting.Hope this helps!

GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

pimleym

morning meeting
Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Dear GoTeacher,
I love your 2 ideas...Brain Pop and Mystery Box.
Could please elaborate on the Mystery Box.
What does it look like?
Did you write a note home to families to explain what type of things one might place in the box?

Thanks for any help...
2 very creative ideas!!!!!!
pimleym is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I can't attach yet because I'm a "new" member (at least I don't think I can), but I copied and pasted what I use (below). I have this cut out and put on a colorful piece of construction paper and laminate. It stays in the bag with the box. I bought a plain yellow gift bag from the dollar tree (it actually had 2 bags with it one smaller one bigger). I wrote on it: Mystery Bag and some question marks. Then I had this metal box that looks like a miniature lunch box (about 6" by 8" and 3" deep). It opens like a lunch box too. It also has on the front an area to slide a picture or something in it. I think it's a photo box or something. I made a sign that says Mystery box and slid it down in the front. You can use any sturdy box but it would probably be better if it had a flip top of some kind so the top doesn't get lost. The dollar tree, I'm sure, would have something. :-) I took 20 index cards and hole punched a corner and made one a cover that said Clues! I wrote the word Name at the top of each one. I fastened them with one of those ring things (do you know what I mean?). :-) The box, the instructions, and the index booklet goes home with a child each night. I started this in January after our winter break. The kids LOVE this. After the first clue is read, the person calls on ONE student for a guess. If that person doesn't get it he/she reads the second clue and so on. It's kinda like show and tell, but NOT show and tell. I don't have time for that in the day. But the kids love to bring things from home so this gives them the chance. :-) Plus, they get to practice writing and we focus on descriptive words-adjectives. You'll love it. One of my fellow teachers walked in one day while we were doing it and fell in love with it and now she does it too. :-) I hope I made sense with what I was saying... if not I'll elaborate more just let me know. Here's what I send home in the bag (it's colorful and cuter with a border and pictures and bullets for the bottom things). If you want my attachment I can email it to you just let me know. Thanks for the compliments.

Mystery Box

It is your child’s turn with our class MYSTERY BOX! Please help your child choose an item to place in the mystery box (it MUST fit in the box). Then, help them decide on 3 clues to share with their classmates about what the item inside the box is.
They must use the index card booklet to write down their 3 clues (should be inside box). Go to the next blank page and let THEM write their name and the clues. When they bring the box back they will come up and read each clue as their classmates try to guess what’s inside! Please return as soon as possible! 

Make sure that THEY do the writing
Make sure the item fits in the box
Make sure they have 3 clues
Make sure the item won’t spill/leak
Make sure everything is returned (bag, box, book & these directions)
Make sure they take care of it
Make sure that they HAVE FUN!

IloveK

Awesome!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm so excited about this mystery box idea...thank you GoTeachers! When you started this is Jan. did you just do it so that each child had one turn or did you go until the end of the year?

I was thinking about doing it with the child of the week, but they might love it so much maybe they would like to do it daily.
IloveK is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

IloveK
Old 07-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yes, we just kept going. I do everything by alphabetical first name, so we just rotated through and kept going up to the end. We finished about a week or so before school ended with the last person in my alphabetical list. Thanks for the compliment. Your kids will love it.