Tell me all about noon aides! - ProTeacher Community

teachit

teachit

Tell me all about noon aides!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am not in the usa, I teach Elementary, but I am tired of all the problems with our school's playground duties and all the teachers at meetings in our district have asked our 'boss' if we can do something about it. I am at a school which is bad at organisation, we have endless meetings and no real policies. We are a newish private school.

Help me help us to free up some time! Currently the teachers get prep time of 1.5hrs PER WEEK. That is all.

We seem to have no time in the normal day to prepare or plan and our lunch times are always gone so fast! We only have 2 breaks in a day. The first is a main lunch for 40mins and the second is for only 20mins! Bad yes- not long enough.

At my school, all staff do a 20minute duty everyday and I know that in many states in the us they have NOON AIDES or parents maybe who come in while the teachers get their hour lunch to themselves! GRRR. I want someone to do my duty and help me out!

How jealous was I the first time I read that on this board.

SO for it to be tried out etc (which I don't think I have a chance in convincing our Principal to trial it) WHAT happens with Noon aides?

* How is it managed?
* Is there a roster?
* Do they do both/ all eating and playing breaks?
* WHO are these aides- are they trained or are they parents?
* What about in First Aid?
* Is it a paid position- if so, how much and who funds it?
* What happens with accidents- legalities etc???

I don't really know how it would work. I know our Principal would say no, they maybe legalities... blah. yada. I mean, as teachers, we KNOW every kid and any medical issues etc and someone just coming in wouldn't so the kids might really act up on them- how is that handled by NOON AIDES??

Any help on how we could free up time in the day (if allowed) would be great. Is there anytime you have off to prepare or any good systems or strategies that your Principal has allowed your school staff?

Kat's Mom

Not sure if this helps...
Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't actually know any districts who get an hour for lunch...we get a 30 min. duty-free lunch that 2 aides facilitate. The aides are paid through the distict, are first-aide trained, and are actually educational aides during the other portion of the day. I get a 40 min. prep period each day. One day a week, I have a 30 min. bus duty after school to facilitate, as do all full-time teachers in the building. So, actually, I only get 10 min. more than you a day, if that makes you feel better.
If you're having trouble finding enough prep time, maybe teachers could alternate days where they take both teachers' classes out for recess while the other teacher gets prep time. That happens in my school a lot between grade partners.
Am also curious how long your school day is...we are required to be in our rooms from 7:45 until 3:30, how about you?
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
teachit

teachit

my times of day etc
Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Kat's Mom. Thanks fore your response. Sounds like the system works for you and that you are in a situation a bit like me with time to plan- even though you are across the world!

We are required to be in the classroom from 8.15am until 3.15pm. Morning bell goes at 8.40 when all children enter for lessons (and some 'can't let-go' parents follow them in).

We are sometimes told that if necessary we need to be available for other things like meetings at short notice totalling an extra 3hrs per week. This mostly does not happen. BUT I also hate meetings- aren't I lovely.

Our meetings are twice a week - one on Mondays before school for 20mins and the other on Wednesdays after school for 1.5hrs and in our faculties once a week for an hour if we think we need it (and there is always one worksholic who does...)

We have meetings to organise more meetings and it is frustrating because nothing EVER seems to get done!! Plus then we seem to have no time. Our teacher assistants don't have to do more than one duty per week... looks like they should be our noon aides. Wish we could adopt this.

If anyone else has ideas on how noon aides are done, please tell.

linda2671

Cafeteria aides
Old 07-09-2007, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our classroom aides do lunchroom duty. We have a very large school, so our principals also help with lunchroom duty. One takes the first half and the other takes the second half. Then there are 3 classroom aides in there at all times. The cafeteria is right by the nurse's office, so first aid is not a problem.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

traci.k

just curious
Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How many do you have on your team? We have 4 on our team and only two of us do lunch duty and two do recess duty, so that you can have 30 minutes every day duty free. Actually, we have chosen to have 2 on duty for both lunch and duty which means every other day we get an hour for lunch/break. Even when I worked on a team of 3 we worked it out to alternate getting 30 minutes off. Also, our kids alternate going to art, music, and pe and while they are gone we get our conference time everyday ~ do you have any "specials" classes like that? I have heard of schools hiring someone to do lunch duty each day, but we don't get that either. Once a six weeks, our parents do our duty for us.

traci.k is offline   Reply With Quote

teach72beach

noon aides
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am in AL and I havent heard of noon aides but I am in a public school. If you get 2 breaks you are lucky. The ONLY break I get is while the kids are at PE for 35 minutes which I walk them there and pick them up so it really ends up that I get about 25 minutes. During that time I plan, have conferences, or do my copying. We do not have duty free lunch. Our lunch is 20 minutes and we have to sit with our kids. We are required to be at school from 730-315. Usually I stay after school everyday, often until 6pm or so depending on what needs to be done.
teach72beach is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Wow I guess we are really lucky!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In our district we have paid staff for lunch and recess duty. I've subbed for both.

I never really thought about who pays them but I assume each school has some sort of allotment to cover this.

At my daughter's school this is how they do it...

There are two ladies that cover the lunchroom. They help kids with lunch, wipe tables and dismiss them to recess. (some schools have 3 people)

There are (depending on the time) 3-4 people outside for recess duty. They go out when the first recess starts 11am. They get about a 20 minute break around 1pm. Then they go back out until the last recess ends at 3:05pm. One of the lunch gals goes out to become the 4th person after her lunch break. One person is in charge of the others and this person is trained (not sure in what), does the sceduling and gets paid more. Almost $20 and hour. The other get almost $10 an hour. As a certified sub I can cover the certified recess person. When the weather is nice I love this. I can make about the same in 5 hours as I can all day in a classroom.

I had heard them talking last year about adding people to the schedule so there may be more outside this year. We have a really long playground and the more eyes the better. I don't mind filling in for this job but wouldn't want it all year. In the winter you are outside for hours straight and it gets REALLY cold. When it warms up I burn easily.

Our teachers get a 40 minute break while the kids are at lunch and recess. I can't see our teachers going out for every recess. They whine about how cold it is in the building. I can't imagine them outside in the winter. The teachers also get breaks while the kids are at specials everyday (ie. PE, computers, art...) and during the second recess. No shortage of breaktime here. Which was really nice for the 7 pregnant teachers we had last year!
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

time off
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have educational aides that do lunch duty at my school too. We actually only have 1 aide in the cafeteria at a time to manage about 120 kids. The custodians also help them out some. Teachers get 30 min of duty free lunch. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting an hour. We get 45 min of prep time each day and 1 hr on Friday while our kids are at PE/music. We are required to get this time and the district cannot take it away. One thing you could look into is teachers helping each other out
Our third grade team does a rotation for recess. You have duty outside 3 days a week and study hall 1 day(most kids are just there to complete work so you can get some stuff done). 1 day you are off. This is for about 20 minutes.
We also have 30 min off a week while our kids go to library
Our counselor also takes our kids for 30 min every other week for a counseling lesson. She is very helpful in backing that up with our lunch or PE/Music or library. That way we have a longer span of a break to get things done.
mel is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

30 Min duty free lunch
Old 07-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

By reading this board, I do see how fortunate I am in my school! We are a Title 1 school (have many students who receive free & reduced lunch i.e. they're at the poverty level). Because of this the district gives us funding to cover educational paraprofessionals. These paras cover lunch duty as well. We were shorter on that staffing last year and our principal covered one grade level lunch herself! We had a para who had way too many absences (which weren't covered by a sub). Because of our guaranteed duty free lunch of 30 min. I started objecting when the office staff asked if we could cover our students' lunch time. Then the office staff began covering.

My suggestion would be to start talking with your teacher's union - do you have one? I spent time over one semester in New Zealand and their union was just starting to talk about providing planning time during the day. You probably need a large group to affect such a major change when it's not in place!

Good luck!
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote