90 minute math block - ProTeacher Community

SaraFirst

90 minute math block
Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone teach math for 90 minutes? We may be doing this next year. It seems like a long time to me...just trying to figure out how to plan for this.

SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Buzzworthy

My P mentioned
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Something about this too, for next year. He said that he wants us to have 60 min uninterrupted math and then 30 min math intervention groups where students would then group up and travel to their leveled group. I have no idea how this would work but I would probably model it off of what I am currently doing in daily 5 for reading
Buzzworthy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it were me I would do a 45-min whole group lesson and 45-min guided math with centers, again, modeled after D5. You're lucky you have that time.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

Saxon
Old 05-06-2013, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use this and the lessons and all the components easily take 90 minutes. If your schedule can handle 90 minutes great!
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

I would love to have 90 minutes!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

But our schedule is changing next year and our math time is getting cut down. I really want to implement math centers and small groups consistently, but it's just not going to happen every day. I would do a whole group lesson, small group rotations, and then a closing with that amount of time - that would easily fill 90 minutes!

yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

90 minutes
Old 05-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really don't know if we do have enough time! I'm wondering what we might have to give up in our schedules to fit in more math time. I do some small group work and stations now, so I will definitely be doing more of that.
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have a 90 minute math block. I still run out of time. We use Everyday Math and there are lots of games and a lot of partner/small group work. I also do interventions while kids are playing review games.

I think our Language Arts time and Science and Social Studies get the shaft, though. We also have a 90 minute Reading block that is state mandated. So, no spelling, language, or anything unrelated got reading during that time - no grammar either. It can be hard to fit it all in. I really notice that their writing is not as strong as I'd like it to be.
Truman'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote

heyjbales

I would do a 30 minute
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

whole class mini lesson and then use the hour to have the children at centers while you pull leveled groups. The centers should be practicing what they have all ready been taught so that the children can work independently. Lucky you!
heyjbales is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

You might
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

want to incorporate math journals so they write and illustrate their thinking and problem solving. That also gets in a bit of writing endurance training.

A few times a month, I had my students write and illustrate problems for each other on a folded single sheet. The cover was "Written and Illustrated by ___________" Inside they set out the problem often related to a Workjobs or Box It and Bag It problem. The answer was on the back cover. Peers could take the problem, solve it on a white board, and check the back for the answer.

You might want to check the work of both Marilyn Burns and Kathy Richardson for some supplemental work in multiple areas that is grade specific.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

linderbug

math block
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a 90 minute math block now. I do calendar (15 minutes), a mini-lesson (10-15 minutes & also includes quick description of group activities), and then an hour of small groups (15-20 minutes each). It is awesome!
linderbug is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I just found
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

this site which has terrific hands on activities in their math programs.
This page has free downloads of activities and units that might be of use to you.
http://catalog.mathlearningcenter.org/free
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

first grade math
Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

For first grade, I would do 30 minute review, 30 minute lesson and 30 math stations/math games. Then you can add minutes to the lesson as the children grow older during the year if need be.
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote

colleague

It isn't long enough...
Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have the students prepare their math jobs after they back from recess at 10:25. They are ready at about 10:40. They each present their job and I teach the first focus lesson, by about 11:05 they make their math choices. They can choose: Math by Yourself and I have introduced many games throughout the year and they each have all of the necessary accessories in their math binder (game boards, game pieces, dice, dry erase marker and felt square eraser), or they can choose math with someone, using different game boards in their binder or materials in math bins. The third option is workbook, 4th is computer, or they are in my math group for that round. I only have 2 rounds of about 15 minutes each with a second focus lesson in between. I would love to have 3 rounds of 20 minutes each but I only have 90 minutes. At about 11:45 they clean up, wash up and prepare for lunch at 11:55. It goes by very quickly and they are all engaged. It took intensive work to get there at the beginning of the year and I have a particularly difficult group of first graders this year, but it is lovely now.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs_Bee

Mrs_Bee
Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Once you are engaged it goes by too fast!
Mrs_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

alicia1teach

Math
Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I do a math block just like our reading block. I have 30-45 minutes for lesson and then I do an hour of small group, fact fluency, and math station/centers.
alicia1teach is offline   Reply With Quote