Why do we attack each other? - ProTeacher Community

BlueTree2

BlueTree2

Why do we attack each other?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM

I love to come to PT, but sometimes I notice that the responses that an OP may receive can be mean spirited. If we're all in the same profession, why do we feel the need to do this to each other? Do we not know how to state things in a constructive manner? What ever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?"

I love the fellowship this website provides and hope it continues! Sometimes, I think the mean spirited answers might drive people away, however.

tammynj

Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 PM

People are people and sometimes they are mean. People are people and some people are really annoying and bug other people. People are people and sometimes in a bad mood or post things they feel badly about later. Overall, I think PT has a very strong and supportive community but there are going to be spats now and then. This is life.

I find it curious that this is being brought up now when I have not noticed anything mean-spirited lately. Makes me suspect this is yet another post that is meant to stir things up, under the guise of "why can't we all be friends." That someone signed out to ask this question doesn't help support the veracity. We've seen this before. JMO.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM

Couldn't have wrote that first paragraph better myself tammynj! So, so true. We are all human.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM

Lately PT has been quite calm and nice. Remember, we are online. We can't always hear the tone in someone's voice. What I might consider rude, another might consider constructive criticism.

I have been on the receiving end of some not-so-nice responses and they do upset me. However, I've learned to either not post if it's something personal to me or thicken my skin!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

I can guess
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM

that we attack each other because we
work in a profession where we are under
the microscope so often. We have to
watch everything we say and do, we have
to consider feelings of parents and children
and nobody seems to really consider the
feelings of teachers. When John can't
read it is our fault. When John is getting
in trouble it is our fault because we didn't
nip something in the bud. When we nip
stuff in the bud someone takes offense...
I need not go on, you all know what I am
talking about.

Maybe we should have a mean room, we
can go there to be mean and to have people
be mean to us. A forum where we can actually
have an honest response, a thoughtless, careless,
and honest response.

I think this is why we are mean here. Why
we attack.

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM

what tammy said. Also keeping in mind that what some people think of as mean, others thing of as straightforward and honest. We all have our own perspective on things.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 AM

Why sign out to say that?
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 AM

To be fair, there have been some somewhat harsh responses on a few threads as of late. Yes, it depends on your perspective. Yes, one must have thick skin at times on PT.

However, many would probably take the comments as harsh/rude had they been on the receiving end. To which some will say, "Well, certain posters garner certain responses because of how/what they post."

Doesn't make it less rude, imo. However, I've been there, done that. Guilty as charged. We all have bad days. That sometimes comes out in our responses. No different than real life.

I have to say, it is rare that rude posts show up anymore on PT. I remember some years/months when it was much more common.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

amigurumi

Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 AM

I was attacked only once here on PT, but I suppose I deserved it. I posted something without thinking. The attacker/poster did apologize, but I took it personally which I shouldn't have.

Like plenty of others on PT, I have had some real challenges in my life. For those that I choose to share here on PT, I have received some kind and sincere posts. They have made me feel so much better. I love it here on PT, and will never say otherwise.
amigurumi is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM

I have noticed what you're talking about and it seems to be centered around one particular member. There has even been a bit of bullying of this person IMO. If the "mean" people were asked I think they might agree with what eliza said:

Quote:
To which some will say, "Well, certain posters garner certain responses because of how/what they post."
If they can't ignore those posts by themselves, then I wish more people would utilize the ignore feature to avoid posts from people that they know rub them the wrong way. JMHO.
I ♥ cats is online now   Reply With Quote