Help

ARCHIVE

organization of files

>

PopcornNhugs

organization of files
Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Since this was my first year in my own classroom, I realized that I needed to keep a copy of everything, but I sadly didn't have time to organize it throughout the year.

So, I now have several "files" of a bunch of paper that needs to be organized.

My question: how do you all organize your files? Do you have specific files for each content area and then sub files for the smaller tasks/projects (ie. big file=grammar, sub files=nouns, adjectives, etc)?
Or do you just have the smaller files? Also, are they in ABC order?

I feel kinda stupid for asking this because I'm sure everyone has a way that works best for them, but I just need some kind of direction. Thanks.

Teach'n'Learn

filing
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you really need to keep a copy of everything? I don't file anything that I can store on my computer. Yeah, I have to reprint it when I need it again, but it sure beats having to file it!

For things that can't go on the computer (which is VERY little), I store by subject and then in order of when we'll get to it through the school year.

cpbirch

Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have started keeping a 3 ring binder for each month. I put the monthly calendar, weather chart, ideas, and any papers that I do in it. Then I just have to pull september's notebook out to get what I need. I don't always do what is in there but it's there if I need it! There were too many months when I'd find that great activity AFTER the time had passed! Email me if you have any questions. This system works for me!
Carol

teach2all

I file mine
Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

by month. In my file cabinet I have a hanging file for each month of the school year. I then have separate file folders inside the hanging file that are labeled: reading, math, science/social studies and health, and "fun" activities. This way each month I can find what I need for each subject quickly. It really didn't take that long to do.

Jalon

files
Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've found that binders work best for me. The things I absolutely need (transparencies, assessments, etc.) are in the binders. I can pull the binder and be ready for any given unit. Any supplemental materials for a particular unit will be in a file folder labeled by unit or topic (Ecosystems, Motion & Design, etc.). The down side is the binders start taking up a lot of room, but I've now got a small shelf behind my desk that is only for binders.

tweet

filing
Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

After 26 yrs. of teaching, believe me when I say I have tried just about everything. For many, many years I had file cabinets with a drawer for each subject and files for each skill in the drawers. That worked great for me. But in the last couple of years, I have gone to a weekly binder system (which is very much still a work in progress). I have dividers in the binders for each subject. I put in copies of the worksheets that I use, plus lists of read-aloud titles, teaching hints, a list of file folder games I have--basically everything I am going to need to teach that week. Then, the theory is that I will just need to take my binder with me to the workroom and copy what I need. Even though the school calendar changes yearly, this works pretty well. No matter what the start date, I will do the things in the 1st week's binder first...

Poppy

Old 07-10-2007, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use different colors on the label for each category- math is blue, science is green, etc. Then each folder is a sub category- double digit addition w/ regrouping or matter. I also have a different color for stuff that is seasonal- for example I have pages that are different subjects, but are valentine or fall themed. I put them in designated folders so I can find them quickly. Classroom management stuff also has a different color. I've tried filing a box for each month, but then if sequencing changed or I wanted something on a topic for review or remediation it wasn't quick at my finger tips. But, everyone has a system that they like best and works for them.

mrssimon2gr

I use file folders and filing cabinets
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I organize by the curriculum....
So
math - addition and subtraction
geometry
number sense
regrouping

Reading
I break down each comprehension strategy

Writing
Each of the 6 traits plus anything I've used for different parts of Lucy Calkins Units of Study

etc...
The reason I like to do it this way is because I may have to reteach a certain idea or a new student comes in later in the year and is not where my class is.....I can quickly diagnose where the child is and then pull the specific resources I use.
I hope this is helpful!
Kym

mjh96

Old 07-10-2007, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My system is similar to mandyg's, except I use binders instead of file folders. For reading and writing, I have general binders for each (guided reading, writer's workshop, etc.), and then I have a binder for each novel I teach. For math, science, and social studies, I have a binder for each unit (5-6 for the year). When I am planning a new unit, I just pull the binder, and put in for copies to be made for the unit. I do very little copying on a daily or weekly basis because I have all of the copies for the unit made the week before I start the unit. (We're lucky in that we can submit copying to be done for us in the main office.)

gatorgal

Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Remember it is okay to try your files one way and then redo them later. I think I finally got mine the way I want them (it only took 3 tries!).

My files are big because I put EVERYTHING in them. I collect stuff all the time because I never know what I will be teaching form year to year. If I have a picture book to go along with something or a teacher's book, I put them in the file also. I have a lot of classroom library books so it is easier to file "Arthur's Valentine" in my seasonal Valentine's folder than to hunt it every year in the library. It is so much easier to have as much like stuff together as possible. Then when I plan I just open the drawer.

Math- 2 drawers
1. Divided into concepts-
addition, subtraction, multiplication, divison, geometry, morning meeting, assessments, etc. I paperclip stuff together if it needs more seperation (simple subtraction, up to 4 digits, etc.)
2. A folder for each chapter of the book & all of my additional math stuff.
Language Arts-
1. Drawer for writing
2. Drawer for concepts and strategies- kwl, word walls, parts of speech, vocabulary, etc.

My reading text is divided into themes. I have crates with hanging file folders and I put each story in a folder- all of the assessments, vocbulary and spelling word wall cards, thematic 'assessories' and overheads.

Science and Social Studies-
2 drawers all divided into concepts- maps, civil war, plants, solar system, etc.

Seasonal-
3 drawers
1. August-November
2. December-February
3. March- July
I throw my files into the seasonal stuff from other drawers- like dental health and black history go in Feb., back to school in Aug., etc.

One personal drawer to keep my purse, personal work forms (leave forms, inservice documentation, etc.) and other stuff.

Sorry this was long...

shorty

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I keep activity sheets that I do every year in one file cabinet. They are filed by subject area. Then I have another file cabinet that stores ideas, etc and it is filed alphabetical so I can find it. It seems to work best for me. HOpe this helps.

AmyH

Hodge Podge
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I use binders.
For science and social studies I have a binder for each unit
For math, we use Everyday Math, but I still supplement and make a lot of overhead transparencies so I have two binders to correspond with the two student workbooks they get. We use Handwriting Without Tears and again I have a transparency for every page in a binder.

However, for language arts I use file folders that are labeled for what I am covering:
For instance I have a file folder for each of the 6 traits and then also for the Reading/Comp strategies from Strategies That Work. I use folders for this because it is easier to tote a file folder than a huge binder.

I also have folders on my lap-top for papers that I have created - that way if I need to fix or alter it I don't have to re-type the whole thing.

teach72beach

to file or not to file
Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is the first year I will using a filing cabinet....passed down from a retiring teacher. I organized it over the summer like this:

Top Drawer is Labeled "Teacher Stuff" and encompasses anything that doesnt fit into specific subject categories. Included is:
1. Personal stuff-PDPs, Allocation, etc
2. Monthly folders like Beginning of the year stuff, then Monthly/Holiday activities like Halloween, Thanksgiving etc
3. resource books that are multi-subject

2nd Drawer "Reading/Lang. Arts" includes:
1. files labeled by unit or book (ie Ramona Quimby)
2. Grammar files include specific categories (ie contractions)
2. resource books

3rd Drawer "Math" includes:
1. files by sub category (ie Multiplication)
2. resource books

4th Drawer "SS/Science" includes:
1. files by sub category (ie bones)
2. resource books

I dont do the same thing every year because my kids change from year to year so much acedemically so a binder a month would not work for me but I do think it is a great idea if you have similar kids from year to year.

scraphappy

Old 07-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am on a major anti-hardcopy kick.

I've purged every paper that I can access on my computer and have been slowly scanning in all of my resources and selling the books. I am such a computer-minded person that I feel I get much more use out of things this way.

Two shelves of binders in my room have been replaced with a tiny little flash drive...and with the way I move classrooms this is a very good thing. Also it makes it easy to plan at home or school.

BirdSong

subject binders
Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I started out with files in a file cabinet my first year. Personally, I didn't like that because the papers get curled, bent, torn, etc... A few years ago, I organized everything into subject binders. For example, all my math is in 2 binders and organized by units. Units 1-4 are in one binder, while 5-9 are in another. Within each unit, the ws are organized by when I will use them. It has been very helpful. I pull stuff out when I need to make copies and put them right back into the binders. It took a couple years to get this the way I wanted, but now I am so thankful that I did.

Good luck!

roo

binders
Old 07-10-2007, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I second what Birdsong posted. I have binders by subject. Lang. Arts is broken down into a spelling binder, writing binder, grammar binder. We're getting a new math program this year, so I'm redoing, but there will be a math binder for each standard (we have 5 main ones) and subdivided within by topic. Those topics are organized in time order. I really love the binder system. I also use sheet protectors for lots of my originals to keep them in good shape. I do use file folders for seasonal originals--things like back to school , Veterans' Day, Valentine's Day, etc.