Help

ARCHIVE

Every Day Counts: Calendar Math

>

PopcornNhugs

Every Day Counts: Calendar Math
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone done this in their classroom?

I went to a staff development class today on this subject and it sounds really great, but I just wanted to see if anyone else uses it.

It's costly at $175, but if it builds the math skills like I think it does, it may be worth it. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

PopcornNhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't use EDC, but I made up my own (compiling ideas from PT and t.net) It is the single most rewarding/useful thing I do in my class. It helps to teach all those "little" standards you don't really get to in your lessons. It also reinforces those things that are seemingly simple, yet easily forgotten. (odd/even, arrays, prime/composite, expanded/word/standard form, order of operations, number lines, etc) If you are interested, I can send you a copy of what I do so you can get some ideas!
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

kimspowell

I use it and love it
Old 07-10-2007, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 5th grade and love using everyday math- calendar math. The kids love it and benefit from it. By the end of the year, the kids are doing it without my assistance and it is great.
kimspowell is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2all

I have it!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 1st grade and it is great. I took a smartboard class this summer and converted the calendar to my smartboard for this coming year. I will still use the teacher's guide for the higher level and open ended questions.
teach2all is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love it -- I kind of faked it without the calendar and the kit last year. We did bits that my friend who had the inservice told me about... this year I'm learning it this summer to teach it next year!

Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Indiana Teacher

StephR - I would love a copy of what you
Old 07-10-2007, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

do in your room. Would you mind sharing it? Thanks!
Indiana Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Use it, Love it
Old 07-10-2007, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I went through last summer and made all of the pieces, laminated everything and put them in bags so each month was ready when it came time to change it up. I love that it changes every month because the kids don't get bored. It definately hits those skills that you otherwise wouldn't get done in your regular math curriculum but the best is that you hit those skills everyday. I can't say enough about it! It's great!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

jojo72

Love it!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used Calendar Math last year in 4th grade and moved to a district where it was not a part of the curriculum. I loved it so much, I bought my own to use this year!
It is amazing to hear your students using math vocabulary like prime and composite numbers, numerator, denominator etc. as early as October because it becomes part of their daily language with this kit.
Get it!
jojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherIsa

Love it!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've used it in both 2nd and 4th and it is great! It gives so many quick reviews and previews and holds the kids accountable for concepts all year and through the years.

The only thing I've noticed is that you kind of have to spice it up a bit. I use it in fouth now and it is repetitive (it needs to be...) and they tend to get a little bored. Adding some quirky traditions and flavor of your own is necessary. I've noticed the things that we do in a strange fashion are the things that the kids look forward to the most and remember the most.
TeacherIsa is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Calendar Math
Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is a copy of what I do each day. Depending upon my grade level, some of the minor things change, but the basic format stays the same. I have also attached a copy of the page the students fill out each day. I give them 5 pages stapled together on Monday and they turn them in to me on Friday. It is just so I can keep them more accountable (since they are doing that sheet on their own before we do the calendar together).

ETA: The explanation is really long...just be prepared to read! Hee hee!

Attached Files
File Type: doc Calendar Math Explanation.doc (25.5 KB, 2301 views)
File Type: doc calendar.doc (23.0 KB, 2205 views)

Last edited by StephR; 07-10-2007 at 01:11 PM..

dreambig216

Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have seen this done in about every classroom I have had experience with! It's so great! It really helps the students to practice and reinforce their math! I love it because it can be applied to any age group! You do not need to spend much money! You can make your own! Be creative!
dreambig216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chick

EDC CAlendar Math
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our entire school uses it. I love it. We have set aside a time, usually after morning announcements, and the whole school does it at this time. I love the brief introduction and repetition of the math concepts. It really does help the kids with their math.
Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

scraphappy

Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

I was actually trained by it's creator when I taught in Florida. We used it there with great success. After moving home I've been without it for awhile, but my district bought it for next year. It is so good for sneaking in those things that are important (time, money, measurement, etc.)
scraphappy is offline   Reply With Quote

chockplease

Pictures to share???
Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am a first year teacher and like many of you I did not like the kit wanted to add my own touches to it so I have been collecting items for the board. Would love to see other ideas. I will be teaching 2nd grade.
chockplease is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

chockplease
Old 07-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I attached pictures of my calendar from January here. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. I teach second grade too!

Drooper

Thank you
Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas!
Drooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Indiana Teacher

StephR - Thank you so much for
Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

sharing! It is greatly appreciated!!!
Indiana Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PopcornNhugs

one more question
Old 07-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I teach 3rd grade. So, do you do it everyday or just a few days per week?

The lady who taught it to me teaches 4th and says she only does it on Mondays and Thursdays. And she just fits it in wherever. She doesn't really plan a time to do it each day. Whenever she has 30 minutes or so she throws it in. I would think that would be too unpredictable, but she says it keeps her kids interested.

What do you all think? Scheduled time each day? How often during the week?
PopcornNhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Everyday
Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It definately has to be done everyday. The repetition is what makes the program work. You don't have to go all out everyday but you should touch base everyday. For example, we update each part everyday. We may not talk about the place value straws everyday, but we add a straw everyday. When I do the shopping problem, some days I'll choose prices that won't take as long because we're running short on time, but we always do it.

I hope that makes sense. If not, let me know!!

StephR

Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

It must be every day. That is key to its success!!

vateacher

Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I teach first grade and we use it in every classroom in my school. We do it every day for about 15-20 minutes total. It is well worth it, in my opinion.
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Bethany

Emc
Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Hey everyone...maybe you can help me. I have the EMC kit and am ready to use it, but the problem is that I have no room to set it up and be able to change things daily. All my bulletin boards are behind my computer table, so it is impossible to get to them. I tried putting it on a 3 sided board (like you use for Science projects) last year, but that was unsuccessful because there wasn't enough room on the board.

Any ideas???
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

Chick

Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

EVERY Day for to be effective!!!
Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Bethany
Old 07-11-2007, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

When they built our part of the building they did not give us any bulletin boards. I put mine up on the wall. You have to find something that will keep it up for you though. I've found the 3M sticky clips work the best for heavy things like the calendar itself. They won't damage the wall either when you pull them down. For most everything else, we tape it up or use sticky tack. We're also allowed to use push pins in our walls since we don't have bulletin boards.

Other options: Do you have a SMARTBoard or Promethean Board? You could make slides to go with each part and project them onto the board. What about an overhead projector? You could have different transparencies for each part. You could make a blank calendar and draw the pieces on each day, make a coin counter transparancy and use overhead money, make a graph transparancy for whichever graph you are working on, etc. I know these are not ideal but they may help for now.

You also might want to think about doing calendar binders/folders with your students. I'm going to start that this year just to make them a little more accountable for what we do. They won't do every piece in their binder but at least some. I'm going to have my kids do place value stickers, they'll have a blank calendar where they have to put in the date and the letter of the pattern (ABAB, AABB, etc.), for August/September they'll have a birthday graph, a page to keep track of their math facts that use 0, 1, and 2, and a 200 chart. I think we'll just do the coin counter together. I haven't figured out how to effectively put that on paper for them.

What do you think? Any questions?

Bethany

Thanks Ms. Propel...
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no wall space in my classroom. In fact, I have an entire wall of windows, so I have to use paper clips to display student work. The other wall is bookshelves.

We are getting Promethean boards, but we are sharing them per grade level, so I'm not sure how many days a week I will have access to it.

I do have an overhead projector, so that might work. I just thought that EMC should be visibly seen at all times. But, I guess it's better to do it once a day than not at all!

Thanks again for responding. I'm going to my classroom tomorrow and look over the materials more.

StephR

Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

It doesn't need to be seen at all times, just when you are doing it. But, yes, every day is really all that matters. Can you put the stuff on the windows with tape maybe?

Lynetteapo

Teacher Isa
Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

How do you spice it up? What are some of your quirky behaviors? I did it last year and the kids seemed to get bored with it.

However, I did see the "lower" kids getting better in math as the year went on and taking ownership for some of the vocabulary words.
Lynetteapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Bethany

StephR...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I'm thinking I could try it on the windows. At least I can have some time before school starts to become familiar with it and play around with it before the madness begins.

Thanks again for your advice! I wish you could do a one-on-one training with me!!!

VJLa

Upper Grades? Departmentalized?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I did this in third grade. I was just wondering if anyone did this with the upper grades. I teach fifth now and I am departmentalized. I only have about 50 minutes with each class. Would I have time to do this with each class and teach a lesson and do daily math maintance?
VJLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Moonflower

Calendar math
Old 07-13-2007, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I've seen it done in grade 1 but never heard of it being useful with older grades. I love the idea, I'll be teaching Grade 5, and plan to use it! I also would prefer to make it myself. There are some interesting math investigations based on numerical patterns that appear in calendars which I've used in the classroom before, so they would fit in with this. It's exciting to think of students meeting and using words like factor every day and taking ownership of the vocabulary.

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions!
Moonflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Poptart

Calendar Math
Old 07-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Yes you can do it with the upper grades. Our building does it 1-6. Even with only 50 min. you can pick and choose what few things you would like to incorporate. I have found that you can not always do every activity they have in the program each month if you wish to keep it around 15 min.

My students love it!!! They become much better with vocabulary and many concepts that otherwise are taught and moved away from.
I thought I wanted to make my own too....it is worth the money not to have to create all these materials yourself. I only made one month and talked my principal into purchasing it for my room....the whole school ended up getting them.

Hope this helps....I truly love it.
Poptart is offline   Reply With Quote

VJLa

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I think I might try it, too!
VJLa is offline   Reply With Quote

mdctropical

make shift bulletin boards
Old 07-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Use bulletin board border to section off a part of a blank wall. Attach your things with velcro or hot glue. I have also done this with the windows in my room....if you are lucky enough to have them...and if you are...overhead markers or colored Sharpies are great for writing vocab, spelling words or whatever else directly on the window. Comes right off!
mdctropical is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Possibilities for Bethany
Old 07-15-2007, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

If there is a part of your bookcase area that you don't use frequently, here's an idea. Buy a large piece of fabric. (Walmart has good $1.00 or $2.00) fabrics. Hem it and use Vecro to attach it to your bookcase wall, covering the books that you use least frequently. Attach the pieces to the fabric with velcro also. If you have to get to the books, remove it carefully so all the stuff doesn't fall out!

Other possibilities might include the back of your door (If you have one) or a portion of your blackboard (use magnets to attach) I have two blackboards, and I have used one for Calendar Math at least three different years. I cover the blackboard with bulletin board paper and the magnets make it very easy to change out from Month to Month. Now that I think of it, the back of the door might be dangerous. Some kid is likely to get smacked in the head.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

dallen1

calendar
Old 07-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I teach first and love calendar-teach lots of concepts I will try to find a pic and attach it soon for you.
dallen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
kytchr

kytchr

edm
Old 07-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I am starting my first job this year. I am familar with EDM. I am looking for some little cards that ahave different colored patterns on them they slide down over the date and you use these to teach patterns. Does anyone know where I can find these. they are transparent so you can see the number under the patterns. I think it came with a kit.

muffydm

Re: Every Day Counts: Calendar Math
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Does anyone know where I can get the Teacher's Guide for EDCCM Grade 1. I have a Grade Two book, but am switching grades and I just want the Grade 1 book.

I am living in Canada and it seems no one is using this program here except me. I love it. I used it in Texas and I REALLY think it made the difference in my students. I taught 2nd for years and saw the growth.

If anyone can help me I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

I have already tried: Ebay, Amazon, Chapters, and just a general search. I don't want to repurchase a kit because it would cost too much.
muffydm is offline   Reply With Quote
freshygo

freshygo

Can I have a copy?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Did you make your calendar math in smart notebook?

Could I have a copy of it?

cheryl romer

window space used for display
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I use tulle or netting (similiar to that used in tutus) and hem and attach to elastic cord and put up at windows.A little like a curtain of net.You can use this as extra display space and you can still see through the windows so you still have lots of light
cheryl romer is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsMcG

Calendar Math
Old 05-31-2008, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Could you tell me what you do for calendar and if it is appropriate for 2nd grade?
MrsMcG is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

MrsMcG
Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

If you go to the archive page there is a collection for calendar math. I teach second grade and my stuff is listed on there. Here is the direct link: http://www.proteacher.org/c/317_Calendar_Math.html I hope you find it useful!
ko

ko

idea
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Bethany- I have mine magnetized that way I can put it up when I am using it but it is also easy to take down and store. This way you can also only put up what you are using for that day. I only have one student for math (in a learning support classroom) so I need to make sure I have that removable space

Cat Lady

Calendar Math
Old 09-13-2008, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Hello!
I am totally new to the ProTeacher Community and found it through googling about calendar math. I am teaching 3rd grade and have tried the calendar math in 4th, too. Last year I gave up with it. I think it is because it became too repetitive. I liked your detailed explanation for what you do in 4th grade, do you have something similar for 3rd grade. I have a colleague who uses it daily and swears by it. I'd love to do it really well this year as I'm convinced of the benefits.
Thanks for your help!
Cat Lady
Cat Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

SmartBoard and Everyday Counts
Old 07-22-2009, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Would you mind sharing slides and info on how you use your smartboard for Everyday Counts? We are going to use this math program this year and I would love some ideas on how to make it as effective as possible. I don't have a lot of wall/ board space and like to utilize my smartboard. I teach second grade.
0444 is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Can someone tell me if the teacher guides for Every Day Counts directly correspond to the grade level? I have teacher guides for level 1 and level 2 that I "inherited" from the garbage pile. Thought they might be useful someday.
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Paisley's mo

Paisley's mo

ASsessment
Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Do you have something that you have created for them to fill out daily to use as a grade at the end of the week? Which parts of it do you use daily?

schmidlj

IMSaved2...please check
Old 08-22-2009, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

your private messages. I sent you a quick note a couple days ago.

Thanks.
schmidlj is offline   Reply With Quote

sarasmiles121

check on my website
Old 10-25-2009, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

under class tour.....
you can see aug, sept, and oct calendar bb

http://teacherweb.com/GA/AshfordParkElementary/Sobel
sarasmiles121 is offline   Reply With Quote
hmiederhoff

hmiederhoff

calendar set up
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

How do you have it set up and get your kids involved with it? We are starting it next year.