Would you apply... - ProTeacher Community

knitting987!

Would you apply...
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

if your dh laughed at the salary of aide yet he doesn't want you to work full time? I love working with kids, love it. But it would be everyday with a take home of not more than $500. Hours from 7:30 to-11:00. I'm torn if it is worth it. I do love the school but the pay is low for the $. Too many subs around her to find much work. I need to decide by Wednesday. What is subbing high school like? I've been too scared to try.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hmmmmm.... I am a full time teacher and after they take out my insurance and taxes/retirement I do not take home $500 a week, and I have been teaching almost 10 years! I guess it depends where you live

If your DH doesn't want you to work full time, then I would go for it. It is a more stable income than subbing.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Weekly? Biweekly?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

$500 a week is about what I make substitute teaching after taxes and such. We get paid every 2 weeks, so my check is a little over $1,000. I think if you make that working half the time that is decent pay! Even if you are talking biweekly, that's $250 a week for a part time job...not bad.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Choppie, it is !@#$ pay for sure. My dh says it is working for free. I could stay with subbing. I subbed some preschools this year where there are jobs and truly hated it, but did it for some work and a tiny bit of pay. We live in Northern CA in a fairly remote area. I am just torn what to do. I could try to sub once a week and make close to that or do aide work for 3.5 hours a day for $10 an hr. And the take home would be about $28 an hour. Subbing is teaching. This school is a close school. That is why this is attractive. I'd rather teach, but dh says no. We have a 3rd and 4th grader.

knitting987!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sorry. I figured 500 for the month. Dh says we don't need the $, but we do. I could still sub afternoons at the school if they needed me.

Last edited by knitting987!; 06-10-2013 at 06:46 AM..

kahluablast

Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Totally off the subject, but dh says "no". That would make me go to work whether I wanted to or not.

I am impressed by those of you making $500/week subbing. I don't make that working full time before taxes. Our subs get $80 a day. They don't make close to that, either!

I think if you wanted to try it, go ahead. Do the hours work with your kids school hours? That would be the one thing that would crimp the plans. A good aide in our school does a lot of "teaching." Not official in front of the class type thing, but in small groups, without the bother of making the plans. I think it is a good thing. Maybe just use your money for extra things so your dh doesn't get his nose out of joint.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Dh is used to things being one way and doesn't like change. I don't know when he will ever support me going back to work, probably when he retires. He is 52 so that is probably in about 10 years. lol

Off topic is fine.

Mercury

Subbing High School
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Subbing high school is fine, it's much easier than elementary and middle school. For the most part teenagers are not interested in you, and as long as you don't hassle them they won't hassle you. I tell them that upfront - Don't cause a problem for me and I won't cause a problem for you, got it? And that seems to work. Basically all you have to do is pass out the work, answer a few questions, and sit down. 9th graders can still be simple-acting and childish but 10-12th graders are ok, especially in inner city schools because by mid-tenth grade the yahoos have dropped out.

Elemteach22

Kahluablast
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That is EXACTLY what I thought!! If husband said "No!" about anything(which he wouldn't), I would just say "Excuse me! I am an adult." and definitely do what he said "No!" to.

As for the job, if it offers insurance, I would apply for it. If not, I would probably not apply for it.
Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My dh has insurance with his job.

Valone

Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Would you be open to tutoring or being a part time nanny? Seem like many challenges for that kind of pay. I had a hard time working in other peoples rooms. I would constantly think.......OMG! It was very stressful working under someone else.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Thanks for the clarification
Old 06-10-2013, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

$500 a month? Honestly I wouldn't take it, given the cost of gas and what-not. Maybe look for a part-time job outside of education that pays more?

Yes, subs and teachers in my district make ok money. It is an extremely high-stress, low-income, inner city school district. They need to pay us more.

knitting, I would understand your husband's viewpoint if you had real little kids, but you don't. Do you know what your combined retirement situation is right now? How much have you paid into social security? I love my husband, and I trust my husband, and we are a team, but I have to make sure my retirement is covered on my own for my own sense of personal security. I'm 41 and just now saving for retirement due to the many years of not working or working very little when my kids were small. So now I'm playing catch-up.

Explain to your husband that money you earn can only help your family, not hurt you all. And stress to him how you will add to retirement money and/or an emergency fund.

Lottalove

He's being a bit of a putz
Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

but it sounds like he will make fun of anything you do if he is opposed to fulltime work. And it is not like those hours are FT--but they are daily... maybe that is why he prefers subbing...

I took a para job just for the insurance... With my insurance portion and his insurance costs also subtracted, I get nothing in my take home-- it is <$50 most months and they were three months I had to pay in... It sucks but it is still cheaper than individual insurance now that he is a recent 2 time cancer survivor...

He not only doesn't laugh, he boosts me up when I feel like a loser at that pay and level. I keep telling myself that I am providing insurance for myself and my husband AND I am the sole reason some of these kids are successfully navigating the school day... Plenty of reason to be proud of myself.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

BabyB

Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would also look at benefits. Does it come with insurance or retirement? Is there a chance that you could work into full time next year or the year after? Now that I am looking at retirement, the years I spent home with my kids were a hit on my social security and state pension. Working part time also helped me fill in holes on my resume and explore new options for careers.
BabyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

I would do it
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

It gives you a regular schedule and same place to go (something you don't get with subbing). It's during school hours, so your own kids won't be that affected. It will get you out of the house and doing something that you love, with low stress. Also, if DH says you don't need the money, then it's like funny money in the end!

I wish I could find something like that - it sounds great!
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Is this at the same school your children attend? If so, I'd go ahead and apply. I'm with some of the other PP. If my husband told me no, I'd probably do the opposite. So many of the aides in my kids' schools were moms wanting a little extra income or to get out of the house for a few hours. $500 would be some great extra fun money. If it doesn't work out, then you can always quit.
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'd do it for a number of reasons:

*It gets your foot in the door. You never know when you are going to HAVE to go back to work. There are no guarantees in life. You need the job history, the connections, etc.

*Extra money is extra money. Period. IF, indeed, you don't need that money, then put it aside in an account and don't touch it. That could be $$ toward your retirement some day. As I said, there are no guarantees in life.

*The hours are perfect. You can still get 'home' stuff done in the afternoon. (Dinner, grocery shopping, etc.). Your kids will still have you with time to devote to them.

*No stress job. You likely won't have to take work home with you.

*Your DH said no. Seriously? You are an adult and (have I said this yet...) there are no guarantees in life....

Let us know what you decide!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote
mightbebad

mightbebad

Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My sister is now a teacher and was an aide. It is a very low paying job. Most people who do it here do it so their family has insurance and would be sahm's otherwise. My sister was relieved to get her teaching job. She was treated as an under human and felt constantly disrespected and belittled. The dirty work will be left to you most of the time with a fraction of the pay. It's the difference between the shots and ivs an RN has to give vs the diapers and bedpans a CAN handles. I say don't do it unless you love having more playground duties, grunt work, and not having an opinion on anything lest you get bad mouthed and crucified. And getting criticized for needing too much direction and for daring to do something without asking simultaneously.

It's a crap job. Don't do it.

knitting987!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Wow that is a mixed bag of responses. I guess I'll keep thinking on it. Subbing does have the freedom. There are 2000 subs on our list for a few jobs each day. That's why I was subbing preschool, but the girl I worked with would belittle me. It pretty much sucked, but I kept going back because we needed the money.

Doov3

Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I was an aid and didn't get paid much either even though it was a day to day job with benefits it wasn't really worth it. I was hoping to get my foot in the door but that didn't happen either. Then I went to a different district and have been subbing there for seven years. I wish I would be getting $1,000 paycheck every two weeks but that doesn't happen too often. I am looking for another career choice to bring in more money than subbing.
Doov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Insight

Insight

I Want the Best for You
Old 06-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

"I say don't do it unless you love having more playground duties, grunt work, and not having an opinion on anything lest you get bad mouthed and crucified. And getting criticized for needing too much direction and for daring to do something without asking simultaneously. "

I wish you the best in making the decision that is right for you. I quoted the above statement, because it was true in my situation. I was a teacher aid last year, and I wish that I never took the job. I actually liked being a substitute teacher more, and I worked harder has an aid than as a substitute teacher. I had to take work home to complete for the next day. Your situation can be different because it matters on the type of teacher you're assigned to help. Make sure you know all of your duties and had experience doing them before taking the job, especially if it's special education.

Dougie

Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

That. " D". Needs to be removed from the H.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherTip

Try it...
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I say try it out, as with anything YMMV.
I was an assistant for 10 years and loved it. I worked with some amazing teachers who respected me as a fellow educator. Yes, you will have duties, but I never minded those because it gave me another chance to interact with the kids. In our district, the aids are allowed to teach the class. Some days I would come in and the teacher would ask "do you want to teach (enter any subject here) today?" I loved it, my experience is what made me go back to school to become a teacher. I am friends with many of those teachers today.

Now, I know that many aids did not have the positive experience that I did. It is true that some are treated poorly, but it is not always the case. So I would try it, you might love it!

TeacherTip is offline   Reply With Quote