Development Director - ProTeacher Community

Teach2Consult

Teach2Consult

Development Director
Old 06-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does your school have a development director that handles fundraising duties or do the teachers handle that position? If the teachers handle fundraising, what types of fundraisers do you hold and how much do you usually raise?

Song of Joy

Foundation
Old 06-16-2013, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have a separate Foundation with a Board and also a part time paid coordinator to manage the Auction, the Lap-a-Thon, and other summer fund raisers like housing bike riders in an overnight road race.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

we don't fundraise...
Old 06-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but need to. Our school is so new (only been open four years) and lacks technology for the students. The teachers have one computer to share after school in the office. There are less than 20 students in the school, so fundraising is harder to organize.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote
multigrade
Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 AM
This message has been deleted by multigrade. Reason: double post

multigrade

Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Zephie, my school is 8yo and twice your size.

We have a fundraising coordinator who makes a % of whatever is raised, if he's doing the work. He's a retired man who helped start the school.

We've had luck with a Walk-A-Thon. Folks make donations for each mile a child walks, max 5 miles. It makes a lot. Students take home donation sheets and are abel to ask grandma who lives 5 states away to contribute because donations are handled through the mail. A teacher took care of half of that work while the sec did the rest.

We also sell candy bars as an ongoing fundraiser. The parent/teacher organization is in charge of that, but it takes little oversight. We get half the money from the candy.

IMO parents, instead of teachers, should be heading up fundraisers. The teacher who did half of our Walk-A-Thon is also a parent...and she had all the info.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

multigrade,

Those sound like great ideas that would be possible if half our school wasn't first cousins. (No kidding, 8 of the 20-ish kids are first cousins - I'm going to have a set of sisters and one of their cousins in my room next year.) The head teacher feels that, for right now, doing fundraising would be pulling too much on one family. In a couple years when the older kids age out of the school - assuming we don't start the middle school program by then - she may feel more up to doing fundraisers.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-17-2013, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's hard having so many related folks int he same school.
We've made lots on bake sales. Selling to the community is better than buying it back yourselves!
And most folks will buy a $1 candy bar from a cute 7yo.
http://www.worldsfinestchocolate.com...iser-ideas.cfm

SCS89

Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No development director. The school board decides on fundraisers. The board takes care of the administration of the Scrip program. We would like to see the Scrip program grow because people aren't buying things they don't need; they get full value for the Scrip they buy.

Parents can suggest fundraising opportunities--and volunteer to help. Parents take care of the counting and bundling of Box Tops and Labels for Education.

This year we raised $600 from Box Tops, $300 from a yard sale, and $1,200 from Scrip (and that's with only a few people participating in the Scrip program).
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Can you give a link to the Scrip program? I don't know what that is.

SCS89

Old 06-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Scrip fundraising.
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you!
Teach2Consult

Teach2Consult

Fund Development
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

A few thoughts:

Commission Based Fundraising is unethical and can be very costly for schools. Let's say I came as a consultant and raised $250,000 a year, and I charge the school 20% commission. I will walk away with $50,000! Where as I set an hourly fee of $75.00, work 20 hours a month for 12 years, I would walk away with $15,000. Not only that if your donors find out that that a portion of their hard earned money is not going towards the cause, they probably will not give again. It's like you have a missions trip to Africa, and you ask you friend for $2,000 for bibles. Instead of buying 500 bibles at $4.00 each, you pay yourself $400.00 for shopping services, and buy only 400 bibles.

Script is not the best fundraiser. A gift card that sells for $100, nets $5.00. Whereas developing a special event a pie auction, allows Aunt Sally to auction her pie for $100 and the school nets the $100. Not only that fact, Aunt Sally gets to know, your school and gives it a $10,000 donation later on.

School Board - The school board needs to not only donate their own money, but get the money into the school through appeals, networking, events, gifts and grants, and list management.

Without money a school will close. You must not only look to increase your enrollment year after year, especially in small schools, but you must look for financial investment. One in every five private schools will close this year. You don't want yours to be one of them.
Teach2Consult

Teach2Consult

Fund Development
Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I meant 12 months, not 12 years.

multigrade

Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Commission Based Fundraising is unethical and can be very costly for schools.
I certainly see your point! In our case, the man raised $2000 at fundraisers last year. He did get a little, but not much. This year, he didn't even have a fundraiser. I think he didn't like the pay. Thinking about it now, I have a feeling the school board was trying to put him off because he asked for a large salary to be fundraiser. (He stopped being headmaster and wanted to keep his pay by being fundraiser. Why should a fundraiser make more than anybody in the building? )
Now, he's on the school board and isn't getting paid to do anything, so I guess we really don't have an official fundraising position!
Thanks for your thoughts.

Song of Joy

Scrip
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We've had decent results with Scrip. The idea is that you'll buy groceries and gas anyway, so why not buy a card ahead of time and pay with the card? Every little bit helps.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I used to work at a private school (for 6 years) and they had a development director for 2 of those years. Unfortunately, he actually cost more to pay than he brought in, so they had to let him go. It was a nasty situation, and he was very bitter, but he did not bring in the "big bucks" he promised.

Anyway, my old school had a lot of success with a community auction that was held every year. That was the main fundraiser and it often generated around $50,000. Because it was the main (and usually only) fundraiser, almost all the parents contributed. Some only gave a little, but others gave more, and it really added up.
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Teach2Consult

Teach2Consult

Sad!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

A lot of people have no clue in hiring development directors. I consultant and usually bring in $20-25 for every I charge. You must have the proper skills to bring the big funds.
Teach2Consult

Teach2Consult

Sad!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

A lot of people have no clue in hiring development directors. I consultant and usually bring in $20-25 for every dollar I charge. I normally help schools raise between $100,000 - $500,000. You must have the proper skills to bring the big funds.

Riding4Him

Fundraising
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

This is a tricky question! We just celebrated our 30th year. We have had good success with Race for Education. The students get sponsors and race for 1 hour. The little guys (Preschool, PreK, and K) race for 20 min. This year we had lots of presence on facebook and had a link for family to sponsor from out of state. The positive side is that there is very little money out so you keep most of the money for the school. We have contests between classes and indiv. prizes that are awarded gift cards. This year we are going to have groups enter and build as a team. They can dress up, give their team a name, etc. We also do an auction in the spring. This brings in money but we need to pay out for a good auctioneer, a large enough venue, the food, etc. So in the end parents see a lot of money come in but do not realize the money that goes out. We do have a fund-an-item during our auction where parents pledge for a specific item like technology. Sometimes we have an indiv. that will match pledges etc. Five years ago we bought two mobile labs from Apple for our two campuses. The laptops are nice but the cost for maintaining was high and now they are getting old. Some parents complained as they thought PC's were better preparing their students than Apples. ? This year they are hiring an admissions person to up enrollment. We'll see how that goes.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
T2C

T2C

Admissions Staff
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Good luck on hiring an admissions staff person. Make sure that the person has these critical 21st admissions skills:

1. Inbound marketing, including SEO and Landing Page Development.
2. Ability to manage webinars, blogs, Facebook, Pinterest, Vimeo/Youtube, GoogleAds, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media sites with a smile;
3. Ability to create online videos that show all aspects of your school - chapel, prayer, biblical instruction, academic instruction, recess, etc.

Also, this person should have the following skills:
1. Be able to assist in the fund development office, to ensure that available scholarship money is available to those students in need;
2. Ability to be present in the community - Chamber of Commerce, Ministry Alliance, networking, etc.
3. Ability to create and develop alumni groups and parent ambassadors groups,
4. Create GeoBatch maps to highlight the areas students are coming from;
5. Network with faith-based groups, including churches, to create a buzz about your school.