How to convert a chalkboard to a white board? - ProTeacher Community

sjbohio

How to convert a chalkboard to a white board?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I currently have a magnetic chalkboard I would like to convert to a magnetic dry erase board. Does anyone have any cheap easy ways to do this? I hate chalk, and many of my kids are allergic to it (myself included).

Thanks,
Sheila

sjbohio is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Cheap white board
Old 07-11-2007, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At our school we have made "cheap" white boards by attaching white shower wall sheets (4 x 8 feet) right to the chalkboard. They are about $12 a sheet. They can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot. We just add liquid nails to the back and stick it on. Usually the metal trip at the top of the chalkboard will help to hold it down. We use drywall screws at the corners. However, they will not be magnetic. I'm sure if you want magnetic ones you're talking about a lot more $$$$.

(We also have Lowe's or Home Depot cut a sheet into individual dry erase boards. I cut mine so that I get 16 from one sheet). I usually have new ones each year and send one home at the beginning of the year with each child to practice spelling words, etc. Parents say this is the best gift!
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jneg

Contact Paper
Old 07-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is a contact paper that is dry erase. You could put that on and it would still be magnetic. I think it doesn't erase quite as well, but if you use a Mr. Clean magic eraser it works pretty well. I've used it on some of my cupboards and find it works pretty well. Don't know how it would be on a large surface, you could try a small section first.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote

SanDiego3rd

Can you...
Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

convince your school to spring for the new white boards? We did this last year, and at first the school did NOT want to spend the $$$, but they are glad they did. They also got a warranty for life, so money well spent.
SanDiego3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

jodiereed

Contact Paper
Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Is there a special name for the contact paper and where did you get it?

jodiereed is offline   Reply With Quote

ebujak

contact paper & whiteboards
Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

About 20 years ago, I made my own white board since I was into fine wood working. I bought that special white-board paper. It was huge in a rolled. It was not cheap. It is not simple white contact paper. I bought it at a stationary store.

Why not just buy already made ones.
At the big stationary chain stores, for about $200, you can get a 4-feet x 6-feet whiteboard ready to hang with nice border (melame, oak, or aluminum) - just screw it to the wall or over the old board. I have seen these on sale for about half this price!

The magnetic ones appear to cost a LOT more. Why do you need a magnetic board?
ebujak is offline   Reply With Quote