Preparation for Daily 5 - ProTeacher Community

techkids

Preparation for Daily 5
Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be using the Daily 5 this year for the first time. What should I prepare in advance for the year?

techkids is offline   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

daily 5
Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can prepare your blank bulletin board with headers that say comprehension, accuracy, fluency and extended vocabulary.

I cut up blank cards for students to write the strategy I taught.

Download the Daily 5 for Dummies. It is on this website. Do a search for it or maybe another poster can attach it. I can't because I got a new laptop and haven't transferred my files yet.

I go through the lessons and make sure I either have the book it suggests to go with a lesson, can get it at my school library or city's library. I also jot notes on which library it is located at. If the book is not available, I try to think of other books that you can use to teach certain concepts with.

Buy some cute boarder blank posters and/or prepare posters with pretty boards in marker with the title on them but just not the information.
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote

techkids

Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks. I am a first grade teacher. What about books? Do I compile baskets of books on their reading level for them to choose from? What do I need in the way of management tools?
techkids is offline   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

books/supplies
Old 06-18-2013, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't just use the Daily 5 book. I also use this website as a guide: http://thelearningpad.net/readersworkshop.html

There are book suggestions to go with each lesson. This website also considers the CAFE book the sisters wrote.

As far as management, I would make sure all supplies are near by--scissors, markers, posters, etc, so you don't have to go get them and the kids are just having to wait. A lot of thought goes into preparation.

cteacherrun

D5 Prep
Old 06-18-2013, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

1. Get your kids reading levels to create their book boxes.
2. Gather Word Work materials and activities. There are great things online and on Pinterest. Decide an organized way that you will display the activities. You might want to create posters or labels. Do the same for Listen to Reading. Will it be in one area? Or will kids take their materials anywhere?

cteacherrun is offline   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

books
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would also work on having a big library of books for them to choose from.

upperwests

Go slow!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think Daily Five For Dummies is a great resource for people who have been implementing Daily Five and Café for at least one year. It goes very fast.....with you introducing a few strategies a day. What grade do you teach? I felt it went too fast for First Grade, but it might be great for older children. I love "The Sisters", but I was not happy when I introduced Daily Five/Café on the first day... I did not listen to my "gut feelings" about the first few days for First Graders. I love Daily Five and Café, but I needed to slow things down because I personally feel that most very young children need a few days just to get acclimated to a new environment. Many people might disagree with me on this...., but of course, it all depends on your students and what skills they are coming in with. My district only has 1/2 day Kindergarten, so the children have very little stamina for a full day. Two years ago I followed The Sisters advice by introducing Daily Five/Café on Day One.....it was a disaster. Last year, I slowed things down a bit, and it was much more successful in the long run.
upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Love you guys!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Great resource kamehameha! I am pretty pumped to go with this during the fall since I found your site referral. Thank you!

Thanks upperwest! I had come to the same conclusion as I gather my tools to launch in ht e fall. I totally see your perspective on this and can see lots of proverbial 'pitfalls' as my class is a K-1 combo. I don't think that students of an age range from four year olds and eight year olds would really 'read' to themselves effectively on DAY 1.

Your cautionary to take it slowly will ring in my ears this fall as we take the first steps towards the noble goal of the Daily Five.
bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Old 06-19-2013, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It has dawned on me that I need a leveled library to make this work. I merely have a variety of trade books sorted by genre in my room presently. The only leveled books I have access to are a common book room resource we use for guided practice.

Any suggestions for procurement of such Fountas and Pinell leveled books?

Last edited by bonnybelle; 06-20-2013 at 09:00 AM..

upperwests

This is what I would do about leveled library
Old 06-20-2013, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I sort of integrated Daily Five and Kathy Collins' Growing Readers. I did not start my students this year with individual book bags right away. I put book baskets on tables with various levels and interests, etc. I have 4 tables, and rotated them weekly. This way, I was able to see what the children were interested in and able to give lessons from Kathy Collins' book about how to handle a book, etc (it's her first chapter on establishing Good Habits) The site someone else gave you about Reading Workshop is I think right out of Kathy's book. I think it's a great way to start the year for the first month. Then, once they have experienced many different books, I introduce them to choosing their own books from our classroom library. The Sisters recommend having book baskets set up by interest such as 1) animals, 2) school, 3) dinosuars,4) Eric Carle, 5) Dr. Seusse, etc. Then whatever number you have on the basket, you put on each book, so that the children would know exactly where to return the book. I think they do not recommend leveling the rest of the library as they want children to decide for themselves if a book is just right or not....which of course requires many lessons. So what I did was level my books (Scholastic has a great leveling source on their site) and put them in three different baskets.......I had easiest books in one color bins, medium in another, and harder in another. I bought really nice colored bins online at Dollar Tree (pink, green and blue). When children went "shopping" for books, I would try to steer them to a certain color. They recommend that students have several books in their book baskets, baggies, whatever. I just used the giant sized ziplock bags (I think they are 2 gallon sized) because they held many things, like their Poetry Notebooks, sight words, etc. The Sisters have a website that was very helpful.....in a way it's really worth spending the money, because there are many videos that are quite helpful.
upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Great suggestions
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for taming the beast! This looks more practical than ever through your guidelines. Will check out the Scholastic leveler!

bgteacher

slooooow
Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with the previous poster's recommendation to go slowly. Especially with building stamina. I don't exaggerate when I say my first rounds last about 30 seconds. The payoff to going at the pace of your students is huge.

My team also does a dra assessment before school starts with all of our students so we can accurately place books in their book bins. This helps get the kids started because they can read the books that are available to them. The other thing we do, a tip I picked up here a few years ago, is that the kids each choose 3-4 books from the classroom library at open house. They do this with their parents help to ensure they also have books that they're interested in as well. These books they can "read the pictures" or "retell the story" to read.

I have a tendency to want to jump into teaching comprehension strategies too soon and my teammate reminded me that I need to start with teaching kids how to do a turn and talk and how to attend and actively participate during mini lessons.

Good luck to you. The people on this board are an amazing resource, especially if you don't have a teaching partner who's trying the same things you are.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

FMT

Build Stamina
Old 06-23-2013, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Last year I had a wonderful year with the D5 format. My kids grew so much !!! Here is what I think made it work: a leveled library and building stamina.

My kids loved the D5. When schedules changed they were so safe and secure when I would say we will do a round.

I also scheduled their activities. I know it is a no no but some of the teachers in my school do this and this is what they know.

Good Luck
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote

mmw

this year
Old 06-23-2013, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am going to put each day's lesson on a sticky which I will stick on a chart (I made one that fits my stickies) that is 5 across to show each week. It will look like a calendar and I'll try to follow it, but "if" I don't, I can move the stickies around. Got that idea at a 6 Traits workshop!

The Dummies is wonderful but moves WAY too fast for me. I try to follow it and eventually give up because I get confused I feel pretty confident that making my sticky calendar will help!
mmw is offline   Reply With Quote