Texas Teachers- Mtn. Math or TEKS Target? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Texas Teachers- Mtn. Math or TEKS Target?

>

Jennifer

Texas Teachers- Mtn. Math or TEKS Target?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Texas Teachers!

My team is coming over to plan today and we need to decide between ordering Mountain Math or TEKS Target Practice bulletin board. Our school has not used either program before- I have used Mountain Math in previous schools (I am pushing my team to adopt something better than ADD). I am leaning toward Target Practice and adding Target the Question too.

I just would like some opinions from teachers who have used these programs. Pros, Cons, etc.... Which one do you think is better?

Thanks in advance for your great advice!

Jennifer

Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote

pinktxteacher

Lonestar math boards
Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,
Target the TEKS and Target the Question are far better IMO.
Our 3rd and 4th grades use both Target Practice and Tt?. Our 1st and 2nd use Target Practice. The biggest con is the time factor involved and that is only because we have other things that we use as well. Other considerations are the space and storage involved in using the boards.

We as a school really believe in the practice it provides and we have shared that news with other schools in our district. Many of them switched from Mtn Math to Target and love it.

At the beginning you have to model both of them consistently before the students become independent users. Once they are you can be creative with how you use the Target Practice Board. For example, you can pull all the sheets for one TEK and provide intensive practice to a small group.

One of my teammates typed the weekly math questions for Target the Question out and copied them on the back of the Think Sheets for each student.
And finally, keep in mind there will be an update coming out fot Target Practice with new TEKS included.
pinktxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

nlovetexas

What are they?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Never heard of either one. What are they and where can I see them? Are they for all grade levels? Do they work like Mountain Math? Sounds interesting.
nlovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote

VJLa

Target only in TX?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is Target Math just for TX? I an in LA and we are looking for way th improve math skills (and test scores). I know that TEKS is for TX, what about the rest? I had also thought about using ADD, which you seem to not prefer. What are the pros and cons and what do you prefer? I use Math 4 Today. I teach all the 5th grade math. We are departmentalized and have a limited amount of time (50 min.) with each class.
VJLa is offline   Reply With Quote

pinktxteacher

Target boards
Old 07-12-2007, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The Target Practice boards are based on Texas standards and our state assessment. The materials can be found at http://www.lonestarlearning.com/
Target the question covers 1st-6th and Target Practice covers K-6th.

pinktxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ashlee S

available for fifth grade?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow, thanks for the website. This program looks great. I was wondering if you knew if the program is available for 5th grade. It seems to skip 5th. I sure hope it is!
Ashlee S is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2Threes

Target Math would be my hands down choice!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well, this is my first reply to post since finding ProTeacher, but I had to put in my two cents on Target Math. '

We bought every grade level (K-6) Target Math two years ago. I have used mine (3rd grade) religiously and last year I saw my TAKS scores go WAY up! It takes me about 10-15 minutes to go over it with them daily and over a two week period we cover all the TEKS objectives. I have used both, and if you are teaching in Texas... go with Target.. I also like their Target the Question!

Ang

P.S. -- They also have Target Reading now, and I like it also!
Teach2Threes is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Target
Old 07-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used Mountain Math, simply because I already had it when Target came on the market; however, teachers who have used both say that Target is better for teaching TAKS format, since the questions are formatted that way. So, if you have a choice, since they're both about the same.. I'd get Target...

As for out of state.. I don't think they'll sell it outside of Texas... but you can get the Mountain Math anywhere.. and I think, for the skills, it's just as good... the questions are just formatted differently... we've had just about equal success with both if used on a regular basis..
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jennifer

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks everyone! We will be going with TEKS. Now I just have to get the grant written up. We're going to try and get both The Practice board and Target the Question. Maybe next year we will try for Target Reading!

VJLa- here is the Mountain Math site: http://www.mtmath.com/forum/mtmath.php I like this program too. The reason I don't like ADD is it is just too easy and doesn't cover enough skills (I teach 2nd) to last an entire year. The rest of my team uses ADD, but I only use it at the beginning of the year.

camp823

Target Math
Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have used both and I guess I would have to say I like the Target Math better. It covers more concepts than Mtn Math. I also use Target the question which is great for the word problems. Yes, the time factor is a concern. Also, Target Math takes 2 weeks to complete and Mtn Math you could do in a week. It depends on what your needs are.

camp823 is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

Use Target and Love it!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use target math and target the question. I love them both. I have target the question typed on a front back worksheet. The scenario or problem is on the front. I then typed Mon., Tues, etc with each word problem question. I don't have enough space for both boards. I agree with the other posts. Target math is made for TX so it covers your TEKS. I also like that I can refer to specific problems and point out to students when we are doing other things in math other than the board. We run across a problem and I tell them this is a Lime C problem and they all say OH and know exactly what I'm talking about. This really helps in 3rd grade with the range or as I call them High low problems. We rarely see them on any practice in math so my kids were not getting them. They are the Lime C problems so I always say Lime C and they know and have a reference up on the wall to look back at and it is always fresh on their mind!!! I hope that made sense!
mel is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Target
Old 07-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know this message is too late to be of help in the op decision, but for what it's worth, IMO, TARGET is definitely worth it. We have both TARGET the TEKS and TARGET the ? in grades 1-3. We have had exemplary TAKS scores for 3 years in a row since getting TARGET, and math had been our low area, so I think it's helped. Word of caution, tho'. It doesn't cover capacity and volume which are new testing areas for 3rd, so we had to come up with some activities of our own for that.

After you get into it, TARGET doesn't have to take that much time. I do both TARGET boards and ADD math, and we go over it all in about 20 minutes--once school is in full swing, but definitely not for about the first 6 weeks.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

traci.k

I love Target the ?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've been using Target the ? for years and I just love it! I also use Drops in a Bucket for a daily math review. It's only $15. Here is that link:
http://www.frog.com/
traci.k is offline   Reply With Quote

klc910

Target the Question
Old 07-13-2007, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We just use Target the Question. I think it is really great because it gets them to use math in real life/ every day situations. I also like it because I tell them I don't care how they get the answer, just if they get it. It is neat hearing the different ways that they can get the answers. Many times I ask for two different ways to get the answer. Some stick to drawings, and some really show me how they can compose and decompose numbers this way. I think TTQ really lets them think creatively and not just know a rule.
klc910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jennifer

Tracy K.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Drops in the bucket looks like a good program. Thanks for the link. Do you start the year with the grade level below and then move up?

Teach2Threes

TAKS Target Math has been updated
Old 07-13-2007, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I noticed tweet mentioned Target not covering volume and capacity. I received an email or something from them that they are revising their Target Board to match the newly revised TEKS. I imagine volume and capacity will be covered in the revised/update version they will have for sale in August. We had decided not to update this year because we would have to buy SO MANY copies again, but I am thinking that since we are going to a Math/LA split in second and third grades this year it might be worth purchasing the revised sets for 2nd and 3rd grade.

I also agree with another poster that said you can refer back to the colors to help students remember strategies to use with various problems. I often tell them that a problem is like such & such color, also... and as the year progresses it really spurs their memory!

Ang
Teach2Threes is offline   Reply With Quote

traci.k

drops
Old 07-13-2007, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Jennifer, I do start w/the end of level B and then go all the way into level D at the end of the year. Level D is 4th grade concepts and at that point we only do 1/2 a page a day. Also, I mix it up w/Math 4 Today, so they don't get too tired of the Drops.
traci.k is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

Drops in the bucket
Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I start out 3rd grade with level B equivalent to 2nd grade. I run off all the odd numbers that way we reach the harder concepts in the back but still start off easy. It takes me about the 1st month or 2 of school and then we dive in to level C the third grade one.
mel is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Teach2Threes
Old 07-13-2007, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Thanks for the heads-up about the Target update. I will certainly bring that up to our principal. She probably got the update notice, since she is the one that ordered it in the first place, but she likes us to bring things like this to her attention as she tends to get busy and forget about it--if it's something we feel is important.

Someone also mentioned Drops in the Bucket. We also use that. I don't use it exactly as it's intended, tho'. I run off the page and send it for homework on Mondays--the whole page, not just certain problems. The kids seem to like it, and the fact that,to them, it's short.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote